my oil, wheres it going? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1991 FJ80 thats using 2 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles, it doesn't smoke at all, and from what i can tell its not leaking anywhere. i've parked it over cardboard and i don't see any drops in the moring. what should i look at first?

Some possible causes, any combination.

piston rings
valve guides
valve seals
pcv system

Cheapest thing to try for a fix is install a new PCV valve, cost only a few $$$ and it might get you to 1 quart every 3-5K miles.

i'm the 2nd owner, 155,000 miles on it and i've had it 6 months or so. the guy before me had the oil changed every 3,000 miles, he gave me all the maint records for it when i bought it. i've had the oil changed every 3,000 miles. i'm very light on the pedal

Look thru the records for a PCV valve replacement. If you can't find where that has been done in, say, the last 20,000 miles I suggest you start there and see what happens.

Oh, get a grommet too.

D-

Budd,

When do you add your oil ? Is it when the oil level is closed to/at minimum mark ? or you just keep topping it to the full level ?

The reason I'm asking because some engines just burn their oil till favorite level reached.

Oil consumption is also affected by oil types and vicousities - which do you use ?

Cheers,
Frank.

My vote goes with the PCV valve (get the grommet too!).

1) It's cheap and easy; and
2) It's the most likely of the bunch, or you'd be compaining of other things too.

My son just reminded me that we changed out his PCV valve when he was having consumption problems and his woes be gone!

Tom

When my old FJ60 was diagnosed with a bad PCV it needed a valve jog to boot. Intakes were so caked up the wasn't any room for fuel to pass. Easy test to see if it's the PCV. Follow the hose that is attached to the PCV to the other end. Disconnect that end of the hose and swab the inside with a Q-tip. If it's soaked with oil then the PCV is bad for sure, Clean would probably mean it's ok. With that amount of oil consuption I'd expect the PCV or valve stem seals.

ok, i've replaced the pcv valve and the gromet, made a couple long trips (about 1,000 miles worth) and i'm 2 quarts low. where can my oil be going? what should i check? once again, its not leaking and it doesn't smoke at all. i've been toping it off with 10w30 Castrol, is that good or bad?

Do a compression check.
Get some Sea Foam or Mystery Oil and put it in the oil. This will help sticky rings.

Sorry to ask some basic questions that you may have previously posted. How often are you topping it off? If you keep the level always full this might be part of the problem. As a rule I never add oil to an engine unless I can use a full quart. If I'm going on a trip and the level is nearing the "add one quart" level I change the oil instead of adding but I'm not consuming at the rate you are. I see no problem in letting the level going low enough to turn the oil light on (~2 quarts) before adding as a means to determine consumption over a longer period of time. When you change your oil do you use a Toy filter and how many quarts to you add at that time and do you remove the old filter before closing the drain plug? I'm assuming you do the oil change versus taking it to Pimpylube and you are the one that adds the oil! If not that would be my first step.

Ok, they haven't really hit on the really bad cause. Look under you rig at the lower oil pan. Now look right behind it on the rear main pan. If it is covered in oil then your Rear Main Seal is leaking. This isn't uncommon on older LC's but its expensive to replace and its a tough DIY job. Good Luck.

[quote author=Jon916996748 link=board=2;threadid=7910;start=msg71045#msg71045 date=1070519787]
Ok, they haven't really hit on the really bad cause. Look under you rig at the lower oil pan. Now look right behind it on the rear main pan. If it is covered in oil then your Rear Main Seal is leaking. This isn't uncommon on older LC's but its expensive to replace and its a tough DIY job. Good Luck.
[/quote]

NOTE If you think your rear main is leaing, it could be retainer to the rear main seal. The retainer can be sealed by dropping the oil pan.
Don't ask how I know this. I figured it out the second time I dropped the tranny :eek: then I broke the.... never mind :-\

[quote author=Budd link=board=2;threadid=7910;start=msg70842#msg70842 date=1070495898]
its not leaking and it doesn't smoke at all.
[/quote]

I see folks say this a lot. You have to keep in mind that with "newer" cars/trucks that have catalytic converters (I'm dating myself...), some oil in the exhaust won't give you the old "blue smoke" tell that it used to back in the good 'ol days. It gets burned up by the converter. If you're dumping lots of oil into the exhaust, I'd expect you would have a number of probems with time, not the least of which would be the need for a new converter...

not to sound like a total noob here, but whats the easiest way to tell if i am dumping oil into the exhaust?

Try going to a 10w-40 mineral oil, or if it doesn't get below 35 F where you live a 15w-40 oil like Chevron Delo and see if that drops your consumption.

Cary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom