My New LC Faced Its First Test (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving home from a ski weekend in VT, we hit very heavy snow. About 6 inches on the ground and coming down about 1-2 an hour. Cars and lesser trucks were pulled over everywhere.

I switched into Low 4WD and never looked back. Was going 35-40 and felt competely secure on the road. What an amazing vehicle!

My one question is what is the safest speed that you can go while in Low? At 35 the tach read about 4800. This went on for 30 miles. Is that ok for the engine? Btw, I think I was getting about 8 mph during this time!

Thanks for all the good reading.

Driving home from a ski weekend in VT, we hit very heavy snow. About 6 inches on the ground and coming down about 1-2 an hour. Cars and lesser trucks were pulled over everywhere.

I switched into Low 4WD and never looked back. Was going 35-40 and felt competely secure on the road. What an amazing vehicle!

My one question is what is the safest speed that you can go while in Low? At 35 the tach read about 4800. This went on for 30 miles. Is that ok for the engine? Btw, I think I was getting about 8 mph during this time!

Thanks for all the good reading.

I think the max speed at redline is around 40-50. 35 is a bit fast for low, but nothing it can't handle. Running an engine at 4800 rpm's constant is not a problem as long as your engine is properly broken in with at least 1500-2000 miles on it. I wouldn't hold a constant RPM or go any higher than 5K on a brand now engine.

For me, when I'm in low, my speeds are less than 5mph, but that's rock crawling using 1st and 2nd gear.

On snow, you may also consider locking your CD.

I am not sure 4wd low was needed. Your truck has traction control and stability control and they will take care of most situations.

Last edited:
I am not sure 4wd low was needed. Your truck has traction control and stobility control and they will take care of most situations.

+1...you still have 400ft lb torque in high to crunch through just about anything :D

4lo was not needed. I've done 1 ft of snow in a front wheel drive Hyundai, at 50 miles/hr with no issues...I was in Pittsburgh and the only car on the road that morning...it was the funniest thing. Caught my flight which was the last one to take off that morning.

4lo was not needed. quote]

I agree. 4 lo was not needed. It was probably less safe to be in 4 lo than 4 hi.

With the modern safety features such as Torsen (not really a safety feature but it helps), A trac, stability control the LC will do fine in 4 hi.

Also, the most important safety feature in snow is slowing down

yeah, 4 low wasn't necessary. the torque is just amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom