Builds My "new" 2007 FJ Cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are cheap glass repair kits that work really well. A syringe to pull a vacuum, a drop of glue, and a few minutes sitting in the sun and the chip and small cracks are mostly invisible. Works up to an inch or so spiders. I've used Blue Star kits a few times on several cars and am happy with the results. Have two 'patches' on my current FJ windshield. I have to look hard to find them now. It's been years since patching.

I'll grab one tomorrow

I ended up changing the clips on my side cowl pieces up front, as well as the antenna rubber piece. If anyone needs the part numbers I can post those.

I'm running out of stuff to fix so time to start thinking about small upgrades.

I drove down to Georgia and my last two fill ups were 20.33 and 21.61 mpg. I was so shocked I ran my gps to make sure my odometer was correct lol.

Sounds really good. I keep very detailed records and your numbers are sounding a lot like mine. With 150 tanks of fuel recorded, receipts plugged into the computer, my mileage range tops just above 22. With some low 15's when crawling riverbeds in 4L.

I'm not sure why, but since I did the oil change and swapped the air filter it seems the more and more I drive it the better it does on gas. I'm not sure if the computer is learning my driving style or what, but even in town it seems to be getting better MPG. I have put close to 1000 miles on it in the last two weeks. I drove all highway on the way back up from Georgia to Va and got 21.84 then 21.98 running 70-75 mph with a/c going on and the cruiser loaded down.

I've found that you can get excessive good mileage if you aren't measuring fuel right. Same for odometer error. The two most common places bad data affects results. The gallons in problem: each fill can be as much as a gallon different based on temps, air in the tank, fuel storage temp, and whether you top off the exact same level every time. And with larger tires, the odometer is wrong unless a retimer is added to the speed sensor. Metrology 101: Garbage in - garbage out.

That said, 22 mpg when driving at 75 still seems within reason, though I suspect at the higher end of what's 'normal' - lol.

This is definitely not a manual trans lol. I'm mostly around town and tend to like..ummm...spirited driving. I'm lucky to get 15 but I don't care.

I've found that you can get excessive good mileage if you aren't measuring fuel right. Same for odometer error. The two most common places bad data affects results. The gallons in problem: each fill can be as much as a gallon different based on temps, air in the tank, fuel storage temp, and whether you top off the exact same level every time. And with larger tires, the odometer is wrong unless a retimer is added to the speed sensor. Metrology 101: Garbage in - garbage out.

That said, 22 mpg when driving at 75 still seems within reason, though I suspect at the higher end of what's 'normal' - lol.

Agree, I’m sure it’s pretty accurate though. I run a gps and the odometer is spot on with it. I also fill to the first time the pump cuts off then top it off till it cuts off again. I’d suspect I’m well within .5 gals of being th same each time.

Also considering I’m getting the same numbers it has to be pretty close to accurate.

haha

Oh I got my front deflector in this week. I'll try to install it tomorrow and put a pic up.

So I ordered a key blank from my local dealership. $12.99 and they cut it to my VIN. Beats the janky Lowe’s/Home Depot keys that they can never seem to cut right.

While I was there I saw they had Autoshade custom fit sun shades for $29.99 which was cheaper than amazon was selling them for.

I also added the Toyota oem deflector and swapped in a new pcv valve. My old one was nasty!

6EA46129-DC29-41BB-8602-77D43BFBC069.jpeg
2CAE7390-4BFF-4C91-8E3A-059BDE58778D.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, went out today and my whole driver's side roof liner is soaked. I was parked in my normal spot which sits on a slight angle where the front is higher than the back . I'm not sure where the water is coming in at this point.

Not sure what is going on.... Maybe I over torqued the roof rack bolts and it destroyed the washers? After I first changed out the washers I didn't have a single issue even in solid down pours.

Last edited:
Strangest thing, it rained for the past 24 hours off and on and the inside roof liner dried???

Not really any specific suggestion or advice; I haven't had any similar problems in my FJ. But moisture can move in odd ways and end up almost anywhere.

A good room dehumidifier left running inside the truck for a couple days can take out any water, then see if the problem comes back. I dried a waterlogged Subaru that had been left for a few weeks with a driver window wide open in the PNW. It took more than a few days, but it had green growth on the seat belts when I started. And I emptied gallons of water from that car.

Not really any specific suggestion or advice; I haven't had any similar problems in my FJ. But moisture can move in odd ways and end up almost anywhere.

A good room dehumidifier left running inside the truck for a couple days can take out any water, then see if the problem comes back. I dried a waterlogged Subaru that had been left for a few weeks with a driver window wide open in the PNW. It took more than a few days, but it had green growth on the seat belts when I started. And I emptied gallons of water from that car.

I’m honestly stumped. I might pull the rack off again and get some kind of industrial seam sealer, then seal off everything with some silicone and put the roof rack back on. If that doesn’t do it, then it would have to be the windshield. I have no water on the floors or anywhere else. Very odd.

Do you use the A/C a lot? Might be an evaporator drain is plugged. Again guessing. But the A/C dries the air as is cools, and the A/C runs any time the knobs are set to defrost, too, and the condensation generally drains to the ground through a short hose. The hoses can plug on some vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom