My head hurts, timing questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

890man

SILVER Star
Threads
Stock F motor. Pulled dizzy to refresh motor (rings piston etc) Truck seems to run fine but is a little low on power. It only has 250 miles since work has been done. Check compression for giggles (not even sure how long it takes to break in new rings) 135 - 140 psi across the board. I added some oil and repeated, they all came up 8-10 psi so there is a little going past the rings. On to the timing question. I have read in other posts about timing and where the bb should be and I may have done things wrong. It sounds like the bb should be on the bottom. Mine is the opposite. It is a little out of site at the top of the hole. There is a white painted line on the flywheel that the truck seems to run well. When I rev the motor, the line goes down and then the bb goes down past the window. Is this right? When I first had the timing set, the vac advance thing on the dizzy was almost touching the oil filter. BTW its a late F with the filter on the block. With this setting the coolant temp was a little below the first line on the stock water temp gauge. After rotating the dizzy clockwise to bring that line down I drove home and the temp went a little above the first line on the temp gauge. What would cause this? Is it a bad thing. Am I on crack? :eek: My head hurts.

line is TDC(or something like that), the BB(to the right of the line) is 7deg advanced which is where you want to set your timing

The std setting is (with all vac lines pulled from dissy and plugged) the bb lined up with the pointer in the middle of the window.

If the advance is hitting filter, you may need to pull dissy, rotate rotor one tooth and replace. You'll need to rotate the iil pump drive the same amount with a screwdriver to get it to line up.

Yea, I kinda feel like a dumbass. I read through the manual again and Ill get a tach and a vac gauge and do it right. I will also pull and plug the vac advance line too. Yea I may have to pull and reset. I was thinking the same thing but its good to hear someonelse say it too. Tuneing (sp) has always been a PITA for me. I adjusted a carb once and blew up a mufler at the seam once. :doh:

I adjusted a carb once and blew up a mufler at the seam once.

Ohh! I've done that twice! Blew up the valve cover, too :eek: Had the dist 180 degrees out and I guess I got a bit too much gas in there and, Kablammo!

nial

Well, I just went through it again using a tach, a vac gauge and a timing light to check everything. I hope it works. If not, it will have to wait. I'm off to Maui for a week. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom