My GX460 saved my bacon! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am SO glad I drive a tank!

Driving back home (to Boise, ID) from Washington following the conclusion of a nursing contract. I had to drive up through Oregon/tri cities when I started the contract due to closures on i95. So being better weather, I chose to come home via 95. It was a beautiful drive, can’t wait to explore outside the treasure valley more this summer.

So backstory out of the way, I’m about 1/2 way through my journey on 95, I’m in Idaho and chugging along at speed limits. 95 is littered with rock slide areas. I come to a bend in the road, ahead of me I see a rock. (Okay, maybe it’s a boulder, it doesn’t look that big.) it’s smack in the middle of the lane I’m driving in, 1 lane both directions. I slow down as I approach but I can’t just swerve into the other lane because a truck is coming towards me. I slow down as best I can, hit this “rock” at ~35mph.

THUD! HOLY **** I say aloud to myself. You can imagine the b***hole puckering that occurs. I SMACKED that boulder - HARD. The boulder disintegrates. I frantically look at the on screen info to see if there’s an issue. Nothing. Wow.
I stopped at the next town, got some gas, check everything out to the best of my ability. Everything is “fine.”

The factory skid plate took everything. And man did it it take it. After a long day and night of driving I make it home, zero issues (thankful as all heck). Next morning I come out to check the damage. I can’t help but laugh. Dang that skid plate did it’s job. Saved my night, saved my GX, saved me.

I’ve posted some photos of the skid plate as it hung on the vehicle. Took the skid off the next day, and again couldn’t help but laugh the whole time. This steel plate is TACOED.

There was a very slight concave on one frame member which I’ve posted as well, and a tiny amount of damage to whatever the circle thing is. But everything is fine.

By happenstance I was able to find a local deal for $100(!!!!) that includes all 3 of the OEM skid plates, even though I only damaged the engine plate. Off a ‘21 and practically brand new it was a heck of a deal.

Anyways. Long story. Sorry about that. But I can’t help but wonder how my ‘21 taco would have failed, since it didn’t even have a skid plate from the factory.

So glad our vehicles are tanks. No I shouldn’t have hit it at the speed I did. But hindsight is always 20/20..

549E2BDF-D8E5-48E4-BED7-906E3C0FF8B4.jpeg

5D912A33-BB36-4510-A3D6-8E1BAED1F475.jpeg

55A91777-947F-4D6D-A800-5ADF306EE9C4.jpeg

E0508EAB-AB0A-4F74-86C7-A2879F246C82.jpeg

B9FCCA16-FC11-444F-A6F5-F3CCF3647226.jpeg

I love these things. Glad the GX took it like a champ.

Gotta love body armor!
I know having proper steel rock sliders saved my rig from a lot more damage when I was T-boned a couple years ago.
This is why I encourage everyone, even if they don't want to do any kind of build, at least get armor on the sides and underneath. And preferable front and rear, something a little more than the plastic.

Gotta love body armor!
I know having proper steel rock sliders saved my rig from a lot more damage when I was T-boned a couple years ago.
This is why I encourage everyone, even if they don't want to do any kind of build, at least get armor on the sides and underneath. And preferable front and rear, something a little more than the plastic.
^ 100% this

Yes absolutely, if you don’t have armor protecting that glorious engine, your T Case, or your fuel tank, GET IT!!!
Look around at local pick and pulls/ salvage yards if you don’t have it, just get some steel or aluminum up there! It literally made the difference of me being stuck 200+ miles from home with no cell service and not a repair shop for MILES and me being home safe that night.

I’m also extremely fortunate that I was able to find a guy who’d just built out his ‘21 and had the whole set of 3 pieces for $100. What a steal! I was a bit upset to see the prices have jumped so high for aftermarket plates. I remember a few years ago pricing them out from the same companies for my Tacoma and I couldn’t even make the pricier models $450. Now $350 is as cheap as an engine skid gets. Pretty incredible price jumps, but also I can now say with confidence that you can’t put a price on that kind of protection and peace of mind.

The OEM front skid is stronger than most of us think it is, it's just ugly if you have a lift/bumper/bumper chop. I'd be curious how the various aftermarket options would compare in that situation.

Did that rip the steel around the bolts? Break the bolt heads off? Or bugger up the threads on the captive welded nuts?

The ARB skids were recommended here and I think they are a good compromise for those of us that aren't making purpose build trail rigs out of our rides.

Glad to see the factory skid kept your vehicle safe!

Reactions: r2m
The OEM front skid is stronger than most of us think it is, it's just ugly if you have a lift/bumper/bumper chop. I'd be curious how the various aftermarket options would compare in that situation.
You can try to recreate this with an aftermarket skid - I’m good!! The aftermarket did its job, can’t complain one bit. Thankful to Toyota/Lexus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom