My FJ62 feels likes it’s 1 wheel drive out at Cape Lookout (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's a vacuum hand pump, so you're reducing pressure until the mechanism moves, but yes.

Great news, after picking up a vacuum hand pump, I was able to get the diaphragm moving again and now it engages and disengages the front driveshaft as it should. The 4x4 light is still not coming on so that’s likely a bulb swap.

Now I need to rebuild the passages side hub and that might be out of my area of expertise.

Great news, after picking up a vacuum hand pump, I was able to get the diaphragm moving again and now it engages and disengages the front driveshaft as it should. The 4x4 light is still not coming on so that’s likely a bulb swap.

Now I need to rebuild the passages side hub and that might be out of my area of expertise.
Maybe, maybe not. Look at what you've accomplished with the help of folks in this forum. Rewind a couple months and ask yourself it you that THAT was out of your area of expertise. Keep up the learning and that way when you have a problem away from home, say out on the beach :D , you'll be far more prepared to diagnose and possibly make the repair.

Maybe, maybe not. Look at what you've accomplished with the help of folks in this forum. Rewind a couple months and ask yourself it you that THAT was out of your area of expertise. Keep up the learning and that way when you have a problem away from home, say out on the beach :D , you'll be far more prepared to diagnose and possibly make the repair.
I really love how helpful everyone in the club and on the forums has been. I learn more every day and I can’t wait to pass it on.

If you press the button with the solenoid plumbed in, does it engage the front driveshaft?

Makes no sense that it didn't engage when you swapped the lines but it did when you used the vacuum hand pump. Point is, the original issue is still undiagnosed.

If you press the button with the solenoid plumbed in, does it engage the front driveshaft?

Makes no sense that it didn't engage when you swapped the lines but it did when you used the vacuum hand pump. Point is, the original issue is still undiagnosed.
Yeah, there's still some work to be done here. My guess is that the diaphragm was a little stuck and needed more pressure than the lines would normally provide to get moving again. Now that It's moving, the regular amount of pressure will engage and disengage the front driveshaft.

So to close the thread, I was able to do a shakedown with the 4x4 system out at Moses Creek this weekend and it's finally in working order. Here's what was wrong with the truck:
  • 1 Failed VSV - replaced with Toyota Truck VSV
  • Stuck transfer case requiring a vacuum hand pump to get the mechanism moving again
  • Rebuilt the driver's front right hub as it had a bent pawl, gumming up the action on it
  • Had to engage and disengage different parts of the system a few times over to get the 4x4 light to magically start lighting up with the button press.
I think the PO never used the 4x4 system, or maybe even all the previous owners.

Great work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom