My FJ62 feels likes it’s 1 wheel drive out at Cape Lookout (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Nearly lost the truck to the ocean today, I’m not sure my front axel is engaging at all and when the rears lose it they instantly bury the truck to the axel. I think the original design is open diff and I’m struggling so hard for traction everywhere even with 10psi each tire.

Is front drive engagement a common fail point on these trucks?

There are a couple things you can do to force the air vacuum solenoid if it is not shifting by itself. You need real-time help?

First let's make sure both of your front hubs are actually locked?

Additionally, if you were on the beach, it is okay to run your tires all the way down to three or four PSI to get yourself moving.

Here's hoping someone can offer meaningful advice asap. I'm not familiar with the 60-Series 4WD system, does it have those automatic hubs up front (or manual hubs, or just drive plates)?

Guess if it happens again and you have a passenger, have them give it gas while you observe the front driveshaft (from beside the truck), see if it is being powered.

And not to be snarky, but you do have it in 4WD?

Sorry to hear of your troubles. :(

Front hubs are locked and the hi-low gear shift works, but the front isn’t spinning from what others have said. Mostly the rear is spinning and usually just when one wheel loses traction it’ll spin.

Yeah that's how an open diff works. You can feather the brakes to try and get the other wheel (the one with traction) to work as well.

Front hubs are locked and the hi-low gear shift works, but the front isn’t spinning from what others have said. Mostly the rear is spinning and usually just when one wheel loses traction it’ll spin.
So, even though it sounds like you're getting rescued, you can still try swapping the two large vacuum hoses going into the side of the transfer case shifting diaphragm.
The problem is most likely one of your VSVs under the hood not allowing the vacuum actuated shifter to do its job.

So, even though it sounds like you're getting rescued, you can still try swapping the two large vacuum hoses going into the side of the transfer case shifting diaphragm.
The problem is most likely one of your VSVs under the hood not allowing the vacuum actuated shifter to do its job.
When I get back to mainland tomorrow I’ll have the give those lines a once over

Could there be a chance that the front axel pull is just really light or doesn’t spin the tires excessively?

image.jpg
Got the truck safe and out of the problem area, should be able to make it to the ferry no problem now. Still don’t trust the front axel but 10psi tires have helped.

Awesome! I've never seen anyone air down that much on the beach....but whatever works. Don't pop a bead!

If you're by yourself, put a mark on the front shaft, unlock the front hubs while in 4wd and move just a small bit and see if the mark moves.

Are you not getting front wheel drive in 4hi and 4 lo?

I’ll have to try that. It feels like it doesn’t have front pull in either gear.

Definitely taking it easy getting back, hoping to not pop a bead on the way there.

Lots of times the hubs move but it doesn’t release the coupling inside. It happens a lot after a break job and the only way to fix it is to take the six bolts off and take it off or you can try go from free to lock back and forth.
Disengage the 4wd and get under the truck. Try rotating the front shaft. If the hubs are locked the shaft should not rotate. If it rotates your hubs are stuck free. It is not hard to get them unstuck and only 6 bolts. It is better to do it with the truck jacked up but it work to with it on the ground. Good luck.

Here's a simple question, does the green four-wheel drive light come on on the lower right - when you shift to low range or push your four high button?

Here's a simple question, does the green four-wheel drive light come on on the lower right - when you shift to low range or push your four high button?
Ah, no I’ve never seen a light indicating 4WD is on. Would that be on the dash?

Ah, no I’ve never seen a light indicating 4WD is on. Would that be on the dash?
Yes, bottom right, one of the lights in the strip behind the steering wheel. It's got a green background.

To me, this means you're transfer case is not selecting four-wheel drive. Again, it's probably the VSVs under a hood, common failure point.

Again, you should be able to swap the vacuum lines connecting to the transfer case, this will allow the two-wheel drive VSV to to pull vacuum on the four-wheel drive selector on the transfer case and get you into 4WD. You can then swap them back to get back to 2WD.

Last edited:
Has anyone had transfer case work done around Raleigh? Any recommendations on shops? I think Carolina Offroad is booked full of restorations for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom