My FJ62 feels likes it’s 1 wheel drive out at Cape Lookout (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone had transfer case work done around Raleigh? Any recommendations on shops? I think Carolina Offroad is booked full of restorations for now.
Why?

I'm trying to help you out here. I got about 15 years in an FJ 62, use me as a resource.

Ah ok. If this repair is simple enough I can take it on. Are the vacuum lines diagramed in the Hanes repair manual?
Maybe?

But they are under your truck, just about even with the passenger side B pillar....

Here.

Has anyone had transfer case work done around Raleigh? Any recommendations on shops? I think Carolina Offroad is booked full of restorations for now.

When you post up asking for advice, you have to listen to what the guys are telling you :)

@Pacer is the man, and from the sounds of it (4WD light not coming on) he's right on the money. The 4wd light comes on when the shift fork for 2wd/4wd moves into the 4wd position, and since this is actuated by vacuum on FJ62s, that's what the issue is.

s***, if you have a mityvac or other way of producing vacuum, you can connect it to the 4wd shift diaphragm to prove to you that's what the issue is.

EDIT: also, in that OBX guidance thread you had, I guess we should have said "make sure your 4wd works" :lol:

I saw that you have the traction boards, can't tell the brand. Did you get to use them when stuck? Those can be useless in mud, but pretty much designed for sand.

Is this the section where the vacuum lines would be? Trying to piece it together from that linked post

A7782476-DB1F-48AE-91C0-4E515AD156D3.jpeg

Switch those two line. If the light comes on there is a part number in the forum for a mini truck relay.

4BFA9F2A-2AC3-436A-BFB5-D50499528DE7.jpeg

Switch those two line. If the light comes on there is a part number in the forum for a mini truck relay.

View attachment 2710362

View attachment 2710262
This looks like the case itself. I guess it goes to hard lines at some point?

View attachment 2710263

Or you can do it under the truck at the transfer case, same effect.

Switch the hoses and start the truck, it should slip into four-wheel drive all by itself, green light should illuminate.

Simply switch the hoses back and it should pull itself back into two-wheel drive.

You're on the right track 👍

Just swapped the lower two hoses closest to the transfer case, no change in behavior and no green 4x4 light. Does that mean the lines could be bad and there’s no vacuum?

Just swapped the lower two hoses closest to the transfer case, no change in behavior and no green 4x4 light. Does that mean the lines could be bad and there’s no vacuum?
Great, now we can move forward.

Again, if you have the time I'm happy to talk you through it on the phone.

Did you start the truck, maybe put it in drive and let it roll forward a few feet once the lines are swapped?

Let me know....

Great, now we can move forward.

Again, if you have the time I'm happy to talk you through it on the phone.

Did you start the truck, maybe put it in drive and let it roll forward a few feet once the lines are swapped?

Let me know....
Yeah, did a short jaunt around the block to see if it maybe had hooked up but the light was still off. Didn’t hear or feel anything from the front diff.

Update on the findings. The engine bay VSVs are getting a vacuum feed to them. The hoses at the transfer case only get a vacuum feed on the top tube (transfer switch off has no vacuum feed to the lines).

Strange findings about the hubs, drivers rotates when set to lock and vehicle moves. Passengers does not move when locked. When unlocked it seems the inverse is true, drivers doesn’t move, passengers does.

Also the passengers side hub requires a wrench to turn, drivers can hand turn.

Or, it has been mentioned before....

With all four wheels on the ground, transfer case in 2WD, lock both front hubs and see if you can turn the front drive shaft by hand....?

So what Pacer and I have figured out is that the passenger side hub does not engage at all and will need to be serviced.

The blue VSV produces a vacuum feed, the red is dead. Swapping these to send a positive feed to the transfer case does not engage the front driveshaft. So far no combination has engaged or locked the front driveshaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom