My first 100 series questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've spend a couple weeks reading through this wonderful forum and well put together Slee guide. Thank you! I've selling my Tacoma to get into a 100 series for the family. My target years are 2003-2005 based on the 5peed and my budget. Quick questions..

1. I've found a 2003 LX470 and I've heard many times these are identical as the LC100 but does that mean everything? I love the vast aftermarket support of the 100 series so I just wanted to make sure there is no downside to the LX470 in relation to aftermarket support.

2. The rig I found is a 2003 LX470 with 157k miles. No rust (at least they say I'll climb under). California. 1 owner. Belt and water pump were done at the dealer at 95k. $13k. To me that seems like a good price based on my research. What are your guys thoughts?

Thank you and hope to join the owners club soon!

1) The LX and LC have the same chassis, however, all LX's have active height control (AHC) while not all LC's have it. That will be the biggest difference and you can do your research on here about AHC to find out how it functions. Some people love it some hate it, but to each their own... Not all parts will be the same due to the AHC system. A lot of the suspension components are going to be unique (shocks, springs, etc...) as well as the availability of aftermarket products such as sliders which have to use different mounting systems to accommodate the AHC system that runs next to the frame rails. If you added a steel bumper on the front or rear you would need to get yourself or someone else with Techstream to recalibrate the pressures within the AHC system in order to regain the proper rake.

2) Seems to be a good price from what you are describing. Relating this to point #1, you need to see if the AHC system has been properly maintained. Also, how is the interior?

Thanks for the reply. I don't know really anything about AHC, so I'll search the forums here for what to look for. Interior they said is good but not "perfect". I'll know more when I see it. I know there are a couple people looking at it tomorrow and I'm first, so I'll do my best to study up tonight. It's way below my budget (20k) with a moderate amount of miles which makes it very tempting.

Sounds like a good deal if it has good maintenace history and is clean. LX is mostly the same as described and some fitment differences with aftermarket sliders and front bumpers, but nothing major. Buy it!

The '03 - '05 LC never came with AHC as an option only '06-'07 while all the LX 470's came with AHC. In sunny socal, I would think you'd be fine with AHC lasting a long time if properly maintained (no rust concerns). Here in New England with salt on the roads in the Winter, we have to do a lot more upkeep.

Good luck - let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the info. I was planning on doing a small lift to get to 285 tires. That is not possible with the AHC system right? When I was planning on an LC my end goal was a moderate lift with 285s and one day lockers. Nothing crazy. Just something I can wheel around with the family.

It's not needed to lift to fit 285 tires. You can permanent lift the AHC system by tricking the computer or the sensors basically. Or you can manually put it in high mode (or 4low) whenever you choose (below 18mph I think?).

No lift needed to fit 285s. However, to make the truck sit taller you can purchase the "AHC Override Controller" from Slee found HERE.

image.png

This must have sold recently. Ad is gone.
$13k for a 2003 LX??? Seems like a great deal, but what's the catch??? Clean title? Salvaged? Accidents??? I would be stoked, but skeptical at the same time. Do more research. FAQ and search button up top. Get more info on the truck and ask here. Make sure you know what you're buying and getting into or your $13k purchase may very well go up quickly. Don't rush. Make a sound decision.

image.jpeg

285s. All day. Everyday. AHC on Hi.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm a bit worried about the AHC. I just reviewed this thread: Thinking of Buying a LX. AHC Concerns and while a lot of my concerns were addressed it just seems like more things to break. How is the AHC offroad? Seems like a lot of AHC lovers don't leave the fire roads.

OG91LC: That one has 100k and the one I am looking at is 157k and KBB at "Very good" is $12,500. There is a huge price difference between 100k and 150k miles.

Different headlights, rims and cladding too, I think.

Hey, good luck with your search. For the LX ... I have a 98' LX so don't let some of the differences scare you away from a good deal. Buy the best lowest milage version you can find, ideally with good maintenance records.

1.) As others have mentioned AHC is a major difference between the LC/LX. Replacing the suspension going factory / factory like or lifted by removing the AHC components will run you (your own labor) ~~$500 - $1600+ depending on how aggressive you want to go with the bulk of the cost swing being fancy shocks and upper control arms.

2.) A lot of us that have AHC have adjusted AHC to provide a permanent 1.5" -1.75" lift. This is accomplished by lossening and adjusting (moving up) three position sensors (takes about 15 minutes). The bonus is that you still retain the High mode so you can still go up anothe 1" - 1.5" when in High mode. As someone else mentioned Slee sells an override so you can stay in high mode for $50. So you can use and benefit from AHC but it does take maintence, there is a significant cost if it goes wrong and you have to repair / replace but you can use AHC until you decide to replace AHC.

3.) Maintence on a high milage LC/LX is the biggest factor e.g. Timing belt, water pump, tensioners, fluids, etc. if the LX was maintained at a Lexus dealership you can logon to Lexus Drivers with the VIn # and pull the maintenance history. A full timing belt service runs ~~$850 - >$1500 (shop around).

4.) it takes a little bit of work to base line the vehicle. Do it then enjoy it!

Thanks for all the info everyone. Very helpful.

After being told I would be the first one to look at it at 7:30a this morning I was texted at 6:00a and told not to come and I would now be after someone else. Haven't heard back. Forgot how much fun buying a used car is, ugh. Hopefully at least it went to someone here on the forum.

The hunt continues...

I have a feeling you're better off. No basis for my feeling other than gut instinct. There really are lots of these out there. It doesn't seem like it when youre itching to buy, but be patient. The right one will show up.

Thanks for the encouragement. At least I've learned a lot recently and now know more what I want.

I have a feeling you're better off. No basis for my feeling other than gut instinct. There really are lots of these out there. It doesn't seem like it when youre itching to buy, but be patient. The right one will show up.

Thanks guys. I'm a bit worried about the AHC. I just reviewed this thread: Thinking of Buying a LX. AHC Concerns and while a lot of my concerns were addressed it just seems like more things to break. How is the AHC offroad? Seems like a lot of AHC lovers don't leave the fire roads.

If you want to feel a whole lot better about (a properly working) AHC system, read through this thread:

100 too stiff after OME medium lift

:)

If you're talking about a stock vehicle, a mild build or slow build, (a properly working) AHC can be quite pleasant.

If your talking about a vehicle with non-functioning AHC, thinking about a quick (heavy) build, or planning on regular heavy loads, you might be better served avoiding it, unless the price is compelling.

Thanks for the replies and info. I plan on avoiding OME at all costs. This is the rig I'm selling for the LC: ZP 2005 Mid-travel Prerunner Build Moving from that I'd like quality on this rig too and frankly that is not OME. King, Icon and Fox all make LC solutions just want to figure out what I want to do. Total Chaos Uniball UCA with King RR is sounding nice. But first I need to find one and get my base maintenance done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom