100 too stiff after OME medium lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched tons of threads here. I'm a little let down w my suspension. After install, the ride is just too stiff for my daily commuter. I have a fully built 80 I bought off Mud in 2013, a restored and modified 40 and a bone stock 55, so I have a good feel for what a built cruiser should feel like. I've been wheeling cruisers for over 20 years. After buying the 2000 100 w 95K, I thought I'd install a mild lift, 295s and sliders to make it fit my style. Added OME torsion bars, UCAs and diff drop from Slee. Holy cow. She's really stiff now. I'm told the stiffness is in the shocks (OME sport). Can anyone share what they did to get that sweet soft ride back. Much appreciated. FYI, I have other cruisers for designated trail work, but this 100 will see some trails and lots of travel, sometimes loaded. I'm told the adjustable shock is the way to go. Lots of the shock upgrades come at a steep cost, which I'll pay, but I need some solid advice from you folks before making a decision. Tired of spilling coffee on my first mile or 2 headed to work. Sad thing is that my 80 w 3 inch heavy OME rides w less jarring than my new commuter. Geeze! Thanks for any support you can offer

The rake is exactly 1" front to rear on both sides.....

Stop buying OME shocks. They suck. I had them on my 80 and was VERY unhappy with the harshness. I got some cheapie procomps that were 1/2 the price new and they ride much smoother. At times they are a tad too soft but 90+% of the time they are perfect. Don't know if procomp makes those for the 100. The Tiger shocks from TJM are also a HUGE improvement over the OME's. I ran some MX6 shocks a few years ago on my WJ and loved them.

image.jpg

OEM springs + 30mm spacer + cranked t-bars to match + new OEM shocks + air bags in back for loads and towing did the trick for me.

I think the OME torsion bars are part of the problem as well. Unless you have a bunch of weight up front, just crank the factory bars.

On my truck, I had factory torsion bars, OME 865 springs and TJM Gold shocks. Ride was great, if anything a tiny bit soft but definitely not harsh.

Thanks. I was wondering if the OME torsion bars with out front bumper/winch was a part of my problem. I have entertained adding fr bumper/winch, but it seems like an expensive upgrade, when there are a couple of other options w 35s and winches at the house purposely built for off-road. Truth is....in time I'll prolly add a fr bumper/winch for those "oops" situations. I drove the 80 daily for a few years and decided to upgrade my commuter to a better ride. The 100 was extremely comfy when I got it. The lift components really stiffened things up. I'll price a set of new factory torsion bars. Thank you for the advice.

OEM suspension = soft, plush ride.

Plus, the OEM shocks, IIRC, are cheap (e.g. ~$40 per corner)!

SmoothLC. Are you lifted with OEM shocks? Thanks

I have the same complaint and I have sliders, front/rear bumpers, and 10k winch. I'm gonna try Icon stage 1 kit. Talked to Icon, and they say I'll get the same ride as Stage 2, just won't have the cooling capacity without the reservoirs.

A friend and I were talking about the ride and we tend to agree that it might be the spring rate of the t-bars and coils and that shocks won't improve it that much, but people on here sing major praises about these other shocks and talk about how awful the OMEs ride by comparison...

...we shall see....

Thanks. For an easy test, I'm going to have my factory torsion bars put back on this week. From what I gather, that's the best place to start since they are still at the house. Toyota wants over 800 bones for a new set. My 100 was a one owner that has been pampered to say the least. I would think the Tbars are still in good shape. I'll box up the OME torsion bars and save them in case I add steel bumper and winch I guess. Once I see what that does for me, I can better decide on looking into different shocks or not. I know its my own fault for thinking a lifted 100 would still have that nice soft ride like factory, but needless to say, I was hoping it did. Other choices in the garage are 2002 F250 diesel, 77 FJ40, 79FJ55, 97FZJ80.......none of which are considered super comfy. Kinda funny, but I bought a 100 to have something comfy and screwed that up!

Thanks. For an easy test, I'm going to have my factory torsion bars put back on this week. From what I gather, that's the best place to start since they are still at the house. Toyota wants over 800 bones for a new set. My 100 was a one owner that has been pampered to say the least. I would think the Tbars are still in good shape. I'll box up the OME torsion bars and save them in case I add steel bumper and winch I guess. Once I see what that does for me, I can better decide on looking into different shocks or not. I know its my own fault for thinking a lifted 100 would still have that nice soft ride like factory, but needless to say, I was hoping it did. Other choices in the garage are 2002 F250 diesel, 77 FJ40, 79FJ55, 97FZJ80.......none of which are considered super comfy. Kinda funny, but I bought a 100 to have something comfy and screwed that up!

Maybe your running to much air in your tires? I would try that first.

Tires were installed 2 months before lift, so it's not tire pressure. I think it really boils down to the fact that everyone has their own idea/opinion of what is stiff/harsh, comfy/soft. Currently owning 4 LCs, it only makes sense that the newest nicest one that's used as a DD and travel wagon have the best road manners and comfortable ride. It simply doesn't. No, the guys at the shop didn't screw anything up. The lift simply doesn't meet the application its being used for and my level of tolerance for a quality ride in my DD is low at this point in my life. I'm sure it would be a perfect set up with bumpers winch and gear for days in the mountains, but my other cruisers fit that bill. I simply wanted a mild lift so it would look normal parked in the barn with all the other lifted machines, yet retain its soft ride to work and back home. Research led me to OME medium. I wish I had left it alone. 295s cleared with no lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom