My diesel got filled up with GAS (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My brother in law ran out of fuel in his Mack once (I hope only once). He poured his fuel conditioner, engine oil and methyl hydrate (alcohol) into one of his tanks and mixed with the remaining bit of fuel there. It was enough to get him to the card lock.

Most mechanically injected diesels will run on just about anything, and as noted above, maybe even Mars bars.

-kevin

friend did that once and we sucked it out with a shop vac and filled it back up with diesel... Ran fine after that, though it didnt run very long with gasoline before we sucked it out

you sucked gas out with an electrical shop vac? Danger Will Robinson.....!

I could see that a potential for a big explosive action. The fumes will pass in proximity of the electrical motor. Where there is a lot of arcing...

You can get liquid pumps from most harware places that run on a drill. That still is little sketchy with the electric drill, but the fumes are not being drawn thru the motor. And you can attach long hoses to the liquid pump.

But no need to do that on a Land Cruiser... as it has a drain on the tank.

My 89 HJ61 was filled up with 64 litres of premium gas yesterday. It ran fine for about 4km and then stalled and started again and then wouldn't start after being parked for a while . I was called because it wouldn't start and it seemed like a fuel problem . Tried starting it a few times but had to rush off to work. Found out this morning that it had accidently been filled up with gas . What should I do and could anything have been damaged in approximately 5km of driving? Pete

And to add to this thread...If you are not a hands on person, and if you live in BC and have the same thing happen, check out your ICBC insurance. The lady 1/2 of a couple I know filled up their surf with gasoline, got a little down the road, and it stopped. End of the day ICBC covered a shops time to purge, and also approved injector rebuilds, to ensure all was okay.

Don't recall what section of the insurance it was, but they did not have any special riders on it.

hth's

gb

Just to let you all know. Drained the tank and put on a new fuel filter, filled the tank with diesel and some Howes. Let it idle for about 15 minutes and it has run just fine since. Thanks to everyone, Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom