My diesel got filled up with GAS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 89 HJ61 was filled up with 64 litres of premium gas yesterday. It ran fine for about 4km and then stalled and started again and then wouldn't start after being parked for a while . I was called because it wouldn't start and it seemed like a fuel problem . Tried starting it a few times but had to rush off to work. Found out this morning that it had accidently been filled up with gas .
It was towed to the local Toyota dealer yesterday.I just got back from work today and was going to go drain the gas tank and try to purge the remaining gas from the system. Called the dealer and asked what they would charge but the kid that was there didn't know what to do. Told me they could do an injector flush for $120.00. The service manager and head mechanic both have today off and I haven't really been happy with their diesel knowhow before.
What should I do and could anything have been damaged in approximately 5km of driving? Pete

Should be good - Probably no damage.
5KM's is not very far.
Purge the fuel system, change the fuel filter.
Then reprime with diesel.

Also get a bottle of Stanadyne conditioner and treat the crap out of the fuel system. I wuold used a 3rd of the bottle on the first tank. Then run double dosses for awhile. You will want to lube up everything. Gas is a solvent, not a lube.

Keep up posted.
Cheers,
Nick

Drain tank, fill with diesel
Drain water seperator till diesel runs out
Use hand pump and bleeder screw to pump until diesel flows clear
Change fuel filter
Bleed again.
Start and run gently for 1/2 hour then business as usual.

I agree with the fuel conditioner at any time, diesel is just as much of a solvent as gas, ever used it to was parts? Works amazing.............

Also, was it a full serve station of self serve?
What does the recipt say? Gas or diesel?
Was it the wrong pump, or gas in the diesel tank underground?

If it was gas in the diesel tank they are liable. Period.

If it was full serve, and they put gas in instead (if the gas and diesel pump are beside eachother), they are liable for all it. I found this out when I thought I got gas. They have to cover the flush, and all charges. You might even be able to get them to cover, new injecters and injection pump.

If so, start documenting a case, and have everyone sign off it it. Then present them the final cost (probably $2500 or so for injectors and pump). See if they contest, if the do, kindly mention, they are liable, and you will presue in court if needed. That might change thier tune.

If you accidently put gas in yourself: Just do the flush, treat with stanadyne, and you will probably be okay.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
No Damage, don't worry!
Just drain it and refill.
I've heard report of African 2HT and 12Ht ... you should be affraid !

I used to manage a gas station. I had a pump jockey fill a diesel truck up with gas. We covered the whole bill, the towing the bleeding, everything. You should contact the station and tell them. They should pay for it all. I never did find out the total cost cause it got sent upstairs to management.

My mercedes owners manual says to add gas to the diesel for cold winter operations.

So I would just drain and refill, run the hand primer(bleeding off all the lines) for awhile and go. I would not bother changing filters or using conditioner, I think enough solvents are in there. I do however use a lubrication product for diesel.

A little gas mixed in should not cause damage. But hey IMOP only......

It would of been worse if you did it. I did the same thing in F250. As others said drain, fill, and prime. I bet you do not need your injectors cleaned now. :)

Drain tank, fill with diesel
Drain water seperator till diesel runs out
Use hand pump and bleeder screw to pump until diesel flows clear
Change fuel filter
Bleed again.
Start and run gently for 1/2 hour then business as usual.

I think I'm going to do as lowenbrau suggested. I was going to change out the fuel filter before this happened anyways.Where is the water separator, it's not in the same place as my HJ60? I was also wondering if the diesel and gas would mix together or will one sit on top of the other. I ask because I went to walk the truck into my carport on the starter after the tow truck dropped it off and it sounded like it was going to fire up.
Thanks again for everyones help, Pete

There is no fuel sedimenter on the 12H-T. Not sure why, the 13B-T has one.
Probaby not a bad idea for HJ61 owners to add a Racor filter/sedimenter. Water is like liquid sand for injection parts apparently.

Probaby not a bad idea for HJ61 owners to add a Racor filter/sedimenter. Water is like liquid sand for injection parts apparently.
Thanks,
I guess that's why I couldn't find one.I wanted to put a Racor in anyway. Any idea which one would be best for the 12HT? Is it worth getting one with a heater?Anybody know why the 12HT doesn't have a factory one?

Thanks,
I guess that's why I couldn't find one.I wanted to put a Racor in anyway. Any idea which one would be best for the 12HT? Is it worth getting one with a heater?Anybody know why the 12HT doesn't have a factory one?

those heaters (12volt or 24) use a bit of juice. Something to consider with the output of your alternator. The 120 volt ones might help with cold mornings.

My guess if the HJ61 engine compartment is like my BJ60 you would want the shorter Racor. I have a tall filter one and it looks like a bitch to find a decent spot.

I would go 30 micron size filter IMOP. I think the small ones on the engine are 10 micron, so at least you catch the big stuff with the racor and the small stuff gets caught in the stock filter.

Also on the bottom of the racor you have a water bowel to drain.

It depend of where they're come !
All the European and African have one, under the body, attach to the frame

We had that happen to a Toyota HiAce in Guatemala. We completely emptied the tank using the drain plug and then refilled with diesel, fired it up and let it idle for 10-15 minutes and then drove away!
No conditioner, no new filter, no reprime, no injector flush (whatever that means on a diesel, I'm not sure).

It probably doesn't have a sedimenter because it's designated market didn't need it.

I AM not recomending this!!! But my 95 powerstroke was fill twice while I was in alaska, first time it was both tanks and the dealer drained and flushed it and the second time it was jsut one tank before it was noticed, so I drove it with one tank for quite a while, I remembered reading a plack on a old navy launch from WW2 for a formula for running gas in the 671 jimmys that ran them, I guess that during war time that this was common practice due to lack of diesel at times. I was in shipyard with the boat that summer and we had an old navy guy for a port engineer asked him about it and a couple of day he came back with the amount of motor oil needed to make gas diesel. I added the amount he recommended + 1 qt and ran that tank out on the freeway on a trip with no noticable difference and I put over 70 k on the truck after that. I was the best powerstroke of the 4 I have had.

just info not a reccomendation.

Myrle

I was in shipyard with the boat that summer and we had an old navy guy for a port engineer asked him about it and a couple of day he came back with the amount of motor oil needed to make gas diesel.

I don't think adding oil makes gas into diesel.
I think adding oil, just gives gas lube properties.
It's is still gas. Just not as "rough". It makes it slicker for the pump and injectors.

Cheers,
Nick

I think it was market specific whether a 60 diesel had the sedimentor
I know my aussie spec 61 had one.
serie6_carros34.gif

I don't think adding oil makes gas into diesel.
I think adding oil, just gives gas lube properties.
It's is still gas. Just not as "rough". It makes it slicker for the pump and injectors.

Cheers,
Nick

I dont know about gas and engine oil making diesel but older diesels will run almost anything.
An old timer I know ran his V8 mack roadtrain out of fuel so him and his offsider rigged a bottle of acetylene to the engine and drove 10 miles.
They reckon it banged like hell but was better then walking

The US military have had diesels for a long time that can run on almost any type of fuel

I dont know about gas and engine oil making diesel but older diesels will run almost anything.
An old timer I know ran his V8 mack roadtrain out of fuel so him and his offsider rigged a bottle of acetylene to the engine and drove 10 miles.
They reckon it banged like hell but was better then walking

The US military have had diesels for a long time that can run on almost any type of fuel

You could probably run those diesels on Mars bars if you could get them warm and liquidy enough. Apparently a slurry of coal dust and water also works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom