My Desmog Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, I'm desmogged, don't have my HAC anymore, and would like to have the benefits of one. Driving up the mountains here in Oregon I can go from sea level to above a mile often. I don't want to get out and change the timing. Is there a way to rig in a manual vacuum valve or to use one of the vacuum solenoids that the desmog freed up?

I've read about people with a switch on their dash for high elevation. That would be nice.

Ideas?

I have been studying that diagram, and the isometric as its called. The problem is where the drawing shows the rubber vac lines go into the mass of metal lines, the drawing gets impossible to follow. i guess i could put it back on and follow the hard lines that way.

and yes, the more you look at it and have the truck in front of you the more it comes together.

still have question on these....

also, on the carb insulator plate, there is a pipe turned up a 90 degree angle on the driver's side. where does this connect to and what is it called and is it on the diagram?

And, on the intake manifold, behind carb towards the fire wall, there is a tall cooling finned deal with a large and small pipe off it. the large pipe goes to the brake system. what about the smaller? can't fine in FSM and what is it called on the diagram?

I have been studying that diagram, and the isometric as its called. The problem is where the drawing shows the rubber vac lines go into the mass of metal lines, the drawing gets impossible to follow. i guess i could put that back on and follow the hard lines that way.

and yes, the more you look at it and have the truck in front of you the more it comes together.

still have question on these....

on the carb insulator plate, there is a pipe turned up a 90 degree angle on the driver's side. where does this connect to and what is it called and is it on the diagram?

And, on the intake manifold, behind carb towards the fire wall, there is a tall cooling finned deal with a large and small pipe off it. the large pipe goes to the brake system. what about the smaller? can't fine in FSM and what is it called on the diagram?

on the carb insulator plate, there is a pipe turned up a 90 degree angle on the driver's side. where does this connect to and what is it called and is it on the diagram?
A larger hose connects the plate fitting to the end of the Evap VCV. It stays there.

That is not in the emissions FSM because it is not emissions related. It is the vacuum source for the AC idle up. It stays there.

Thought I would post what I have done.

Weber 38, SOR's Edelbrock Headers, Air Rail Block off bolts (not yet installed), SOR Smog Pump Idler

IMG_4812.jpg

IMG_4807.jpg

IMG_4808.jpg

IMG_4809.jpg

Is there any way to hook up the A/C Idle up to the carburetor? I know I have the vacuum on the intake (plugged until I figure out what to do) But what could I do with the other line?

I need to figure out a way to plug the hole on the intake where the vacuum port went that had 3 hose connections.
Anyone know what size that is?

Should be the same size as the apparatus that the brake booster and a/c idle up threads into the intake. Maybe unscrew that one, see if it fits the front plug, then take it to a hardware store to match. Isn't that front plug where the "gas filter" with 3 vacuum lines attaches? If you still have it lying around, you could screw it back in and plug the 3 ports (although it would look kind of dumb).

Should be the same size as the apparatus that the brake booster and a/c idle up threads into the intake. Maybe unscrew that one, see if it fits the front plug, then take it to a hardware store to match. Isn't that front plug where the "gas filter" with 3 vacuum lines attaches? If you still have it lying around, you could screw it back in and plug the 3 ports (although it would look kind of dumb).

Thats a good idea.

Whatever that stupid thing is, it broke apart when we unscrewed it from my old manifold. Also the threads on it were totally trashed. (The manifold I have now came from the j-yard, nicer than mine! haha)

still looking for very specific instructions on where the 4 ports on the HAC are routed to. any takers? OEM carb.

jeff

Thought I would post what I have done.
Weber 38, SOR's Edelbrock Headers, Air Rail Block off bolts (not yet installed), SOR Smog Pump Idler

IMG_4807.jpg

The hose connected from PCV tee to dissy cap is a giant sucking vacuum leak.:eek:

Delete the tee.
Connect Dissy cap vent to the air filter.

IMG_4808.jpg

Delete the tank purge hose tee, it'll be a giant sucking vac leak. Dump purge to atmosphere. Swap purge & tank hoses on top of canister to prevent pressure buildup in tank. Disconnect elec connector on top of canister.

Is there any way to hook up the A/C Idle up to the carburetor?
No.

I need to figure out a way to plug the hole on the intake where the vacuum port went that had 3 hose connections.

1/8"BSP. You can stuff a 1/8"NPT in the hole if the plug is a little undersize, or chase the hole out w/ a 18"NPT tap first.

Delete the tank purge hose tee, it'll be a giant sucking vac leak. Dump purge to atmosphere. Swap purge & tank hoses on top of canister to prevent pressure buildup in tank. Disconnect elec connector on top of canister..

I'm going to go do that after work.

Looks clean though, follow Jims advice and she'll be running better than ever

still looking for very specific instructions on where the 4 ports on the HAC are routed to. any takers? OEM carb.
jeff
See page 3-31, emissions FSM.
Top 3 go to HAC fittings on carb.
Bottom 1 goes to manifold vac & dissy.

hey Jim, if I post pictures of my hack desmog will you give me advice too, I know there are a few things I need to tidy up. I've done my best to follow al lthe diagrams, and I originally started this thread, just got stalled by...life, but it's close. thanks

I desmogged mine 2 years ago since it is used exclusively offroad on a ranch in NM. Thanks for the write-up I will review my work and the diagrams to see if left any vaccum hoses open.

I used a SOR pulley replacement for the pump. Your devane idea is a thrifty alternative that never dawned on me.

I unbolted the Cat converter and replaced it with a flanged pipe made at a muffler shop so the cat coverter could be replaced if this vehicle ever goes back onto public roads.

The stock air cleaner assembly went away. Not only was it a home to mice, living under the air cleaner on the manifold and head but it seems the carb was the last thing to get any air, I went with a nice simple K&N air cleaner assembly and cut a hole in the hood to accomodate the higher air cleaner. I put a reversed scoop on the hood for clearance and to access cooler outside air.

The LC runs cooler and has a bit better throttle response. I can also find things around the head- like the valve cover, which were obscured by that idiot air cleaner and all the plumbing. I kept all parts and everything is reversable except the hood scoop.

The Japanese did an excellent job of taking an obsolete 1950s carburated push rod I-6 and cleaning up the emissions for modern emission
standards. Only they have the patience and persistence to accomplish that.

Jim thanks for your help. My brother and I read the emissions manual and pieced together what we could. I'll post again once the car is running

Jim , your awesome. so good to have somebody with your knowledge willing to share with everybody.

i will post pics when i get mine pieced together. i just noticed on this pic below there are numbers hand written in the carb area. do these correspond with the numbers to the right that describe the jumble of metal lines?

another empty line i noticed is below the brake reservoir. it goes across the firewall with a metal line and connects into the charcoal canister via rubber line. where does it go from below the brake reservoir? it is on the fender then turning up.

jeff
desmog-richadams.jpg

i just noticed on this pic below there are numbers hand written in the carb area. do these correspond with the numbers to the right that describe the jumble of metal lines?

No.

another empty line i noticed is below the brake reservoir. it goes across the firewall with a metal line and connects into the charcoal canister via rubber line. where does it go from below the brake reservoir? it is on the fender then turning up.

Goes to Evap VCV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom