My DD/Rally Car (no longer Andrea's) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lt1fire

SILVER Star
Threads
Since we no longer live in the city Andrea now has to drive the cruiser from our house to her work and then to all the different sites she overseas. That is costing us a ton in gas so it was decided to get her something else and let the cruiser go. Her stipulations were it's got to be cool, "cute", fast (or can be made to be fast), manual and unique. If that wasnt hard enough I added had to get at least 25mpg and be cheap. Hard to do but I set about it anyway as she was gasping up the 25 gallon tank every 3 days, costing us around 175 in gas a week just for work driving.

It proved hard to hit all those but thought I had found one when Brett offered me his cream puff of a turbo mazda mx6. Checked just about all the boxes... and even though i hate FWD cars it wasnt mine anyway. It was show room condition and had been bought by a rich lady who kept it garages in her airplane hanger and had only put 55k on it. Only issue, it needed a clutch and was 1300 miles away.

That ultimately fell through due to a few reasons but mostly due to my busy schedule with work and home renovations.

So 3 days ago I was browsing a few FB forms and saw and old post with a guy offering up this car. Msg'd him and it was still up for sale. 5 miles from my house checked it out struck up a deal and drove it home. Got it for a song and half a dance and will pay for itself in fuel savings in a few months.

Surprised her last night with her favorite beer in the fridge with keys taped to it and and the car hidden in the garage. Took her an hour to she the beer lol.

FB_IMG_1533998089380.jpg
FB_IMG_1533998077622.jpg
FB_IMG_1533998083101.jpg
s-l400.jpg

So she is in love.... I'm kind of jealous

Hit all the boxes and then some adding Awd rally car in there.

He also threw in a turbo off of a supra that bolts right on and is slightly larger for a little more umph.

It's a cream puff really... came with the FSMs also

Only issues I need to get too is both cats are completely plugged up. And the exhaust has holes in it.

That will need to be fixed before its driven. Looses power bad under Wot and boost.

Sadly we will be cruiserless again soon but with a 4wd project in the wings and the fact that we will still have a yota 4wd vehicle we are ok with that.

Maybe we will bring it to relic run next year ;)

If anyone wants a 100 I'll make a great deal to ONSCers

Last edited:
Damn nice score.

Super cool. Steph had a 5th gen a long time ago. She loved it.

She had a ST185??? Sweet!!

I've been thinking of getting back into the fast car scene for a while now.... so if I get to drive this then its a plus.

Not that I really call this car fast.... fast for its day maybe. But after a little magic it will be. DD for now while I build up a 2.4 stroker in the back ground.

Congrats! Just got deja vu, my first car was a light blue 88 Celina with the popup headlights! I abused that car and it was very good to me. I don’t recall mine being all-trac, whatever that means. I used to love to hit the overdrive button... placebo effect on a boost of speed?

I’d love to see some more pics as you take it on fun adventures.

Great acquisition! That thing is mint!

ohhhhh hell ya, nice score, Al.

Congrats! Just got deja vu, my first car was a light blue 88 Celina with the popup headlights! I abused that car and it was very good to me. I don’t recall mine being all-trac, whatever that means. I used to love to hit the overdrive button... placebo effect on a boost of speed?

I’d love to see some more pics as you take it on fun adventures.

Great acquisition! That thing is mint!

All trac is what we got in the states instead of the GT4... means awd rally homologation. Toyota had to make x amount of rally inspired turbo awd manual models to satisfy WRC. So basically a wrx before there was an impreza.

She had a ST185??? Sweet!!

I've been thinking of getting back into the fast car scene for a while now.... so if I get to drive this then its a plus.

Not that I really call this car fast.... fast for its day maybe. But after a little magic it will be. DD for now while I build up a 2.4 stroker in the back ground.

No, no...just a regular old AT180...did have a 'PWR' button though!

For the exhaust off yesterday (great way to spend my birthday) gutting the cat today and then ordering a new exhaust.

When I get the supra turbo I'll replace the gutted cat with a downpipe.

Always liked the all - trac. Great find.

Since I dont have a parts washer for the time being, its back to the tried and true method of apple cider vinegar and a poweraide bottle. See how much crap it takes off of these exhaust bolts in 24 hours.

20180812_135325.jpg

Cannot get these things to budge and really dont want to deal with snapped bolts on something I'm going to replace in the next 6 months.

Soaking and soaking for the time being. Order and new braided line for the turbo oil feed and return. Little bit of leakage there right now.

Little Japanese performance cars are not built for large hands lol

20180812_135313.jpg
20180812_135315.jpg

Not much of an update on this... it stalled.... Figured the super clogged cat, bent up exhaust and turbo rebuild was all it needed.

Exhaust housing on the turbo is Kah Rack Ed.... big time. Got a replacement locally and it is F'ed in the same place. So for now i'm cleaning up the engine. Waiting on the new exhaust from BFE to arrive. Searching for a turbo that doesn't cost an arm and a leg since I was planning on upgrading to a ST205 engine from Japan next year. Finished gutting the cat. Was hoping to get this up and DD duty by now since our project is now officially arriving next tuesday and the celica is taking up its garage space.

I have a lead on a new turbo so hoping I can grab it over the weekend and get it buttoned back up.

It's going to come together brother, I'm sure of it.

This might just motivate me to fix the damn Mazda myself and enjoy a little red Japanese sports car as well!

Projects are fun ;)

It's going to come together brother, I'm sure of it.

This might just motivate me to fix the damn Mazda myself and enjoy a little red Japanese sports car as well!

Projects are fun ;)

wait till I fly out and we will get it up and going.

at tax return time I may be clicking the buy now on this

94-99 TOYOTA CELICA GT-4 ST205 TURBO ENGINE TRANSMISSION LOOM & EUC JDM 3S-GTE | eBay

Nothing really wrong with the Gen 1 3sgte I have but parts are hard to come by both performance and stock replacement.

Plus the Gen 4 can hit 400HP at the wheels on the stock ecu.... not really looking to go stand alone.

Last edited:
You can help with the other more pressing projects...like beer tours and trails.

This turbine housing is so funny it cracks itself up

20180901_195552.jpg

damn

Thought is should actually get around to updating this.

It is driving pretty good right now.

Things that still need to be done.
Paint some trim/wiper arms
Fix oil pressure switch connection
Figure out why when the car is on all lights (corners, tail, license) come one Edit: not fog or head lights those only come on when turned on, although dogs dont cone on at all.
Get some haze from the exhaust on boost and from turbo after hard driving. I have a supra ct26 I'm going to rebuild and put in for a boost in power and will compression test the engine.
New exhaust couldnt hurt.
Detail car
Install real boost gauge alone with a few others.
LED everything. Alt is only 70 amp and struggle with all lights on, heater and radio
Power steering pump sounds on its last leg

Things done: not revving was due to incorrect washer on fuel pulsation damper.
New fuel pressure regulator
New rotor
New fuel filter
New air filter
New fuel pump
New cap
New plugs
New wires
Cracked turbo housing replaced
Cat gutted, turbo spools a lot faster now

After fixing the major things I now have to figure out what to do. It was originally Andrea's DD but due to
Lack of time and length of time to fix we've already gotten her a little yellow focus that she loves and she has her bronco I'll need to fix in summer when funds are available.

So I have a 100 I'm starting to work on, the ls430 and the celica. I'm a huge rally fan and this car is uber rare so im leaning towards selling the other two and keeping this. I strangely fit in it well and there is tons of leg room.
So after the cruiser is fixed I'll see what sells first.

If I do keep it my build plans would be suspension for the time being. Find a st165 rally light pod for when we drive forest roads.

Then in my spare time I'll be building a engine with 450+ hp for it and eventually drop it in.

Andrea said we should name it, which she knows I'll never do. But to humor her I came up with Mr Boost Lee and Tom Celica ;)

I think it's good and updated now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom