My 80 and what to do, previous 80 owners chime in please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decisions decisions. Long winded I know.

The cross raods have finally landed on my doorstep and in a way that neccessitates a decision within 2-4 days. Wife at 43yo is having a full hip replacement next month. We need another vehicle that suits her needs going forward which is something like stock 100, minivan etc, nothing too tall nor low to the ground.

She daily drives my armoured up lx 450 with 35's and ome 2.75 (spacers) with our 4 and 6 year olds in tow. I drive a "till the wheels fall of grocery getter" and I think wheels aren't long for this world.

So here is where we are. I have a budget of 18k maybe 20k for her vehicle and some for me. If we went minivan, I would keep the 80 as a third vehicle and just buy a different daily driver. I could then turn around and put 5k into engine rebuilding or swap (my favorite in theory is the gm 4.2). Then over the next 2 years install new suspension bushings, gut and sound deaden with new leather. At 250k she's tired but I have a tremendous amount of parts on her that are fairly new like ac comp, water pump, radiator and the head gasket has been done with a head rebuild. Service has been great and she gets parked in the garage every night. The paint is incredible and its getting hard to find a clean LX450 like this. Newer suspensions provide much better rides than the bone jarring OME. Every day people come up and can't believe what a cool truck it is. It is enjoyable having a unique vehicle. The last truly positive here is Beno has offered for me to come to Albq. and hang at his place for a week and we completely rebuild the engine with a new short block. (If I put 5k toward this it could be quite nice) What an unbelievably great guy

If we bought her a 100, it would take several years to build to where I would like it to be; armoured, lifted, skids, tires. Unbelievable how expensive many of the aftermarket 100 products are. As my kids get older my guess is that they will be more involved with scouts, gymnastics or whatever and my desire to be wit them vs. a Saturday wrench on the 80 might be a factor but then again it would be a third. Much less time on nit picky things with the 100 from what I've read. I would sell the LX and my current DD then I'd buy a new daily driver for myself . (looked at a 99 Montero low miles yesterday) Might be a fun dailer driver.

Now the question for you previous 80 owners, looking back and the opportunity presented itself, would you have kept the built 80 as a pure third vehicle for cross country family camping and hunting rig or would you still move to the 100? I'm sure everybody that went to a 100 probably loves it, I know I would. The other thing is I live in Houston, it takes a while to get any place good so road comfort is important which is why the inside of the 80 would be redone and brings into play the 100.

Very few decisions in my life cause me to be indecisive but this takes the cake. I've owned 80's for 9 years now and it's hard to imagine not having one.

I truly would appreciate your insight ASAP as I just saw Bmachem's 100 for sale. :flipoff2:

Buck

Can you describe your wife's car's requirements? Does she need 8 seats, is gas mileage a concern, etc.

Keep the 80--Reserving it for adventure will increase its lifespan. Buy her a Highlander--It'll have more safety features, be more comfortable, more kid friendly and get better mileage while still being a Toyota. Buy yourself a Civic--it's the perfect commuting car.

Can you describe your wife's car's requirements? Does she need 8 seats, is gas mileage a concern, etc.

Keep the 80--Reserving it for adventure will increase its lifespan. Buy her a Highlander--It'll have more safety features, be more comfortable, more kid friendly and get better mileage while still being a Toyota. Buy yourself a Civic--it's the perfect commuting car.

No, the wife doesn't need 8 seats although being able to share kid hauling duty for a neighbor or vice versa doesn't hurt. I think mileage is a concern from the standpoint that reasonable works as she drives maybe 5-600 miles a month

I thought a mini van would be good for those trips were space is needed but no wheeling required if keeping the 80. If 100 then that becomes the standard road warrior.

Rob red- I would love nothing more than to be a 2 cruiser family but I don't think it would be financially feasible. If you know a great deal on one I'm happy to entertain the idea.

Thanks for your comments and please keep em coming. It helps to get an outside perspective.

Even a stock 100 is going to be hard getting in and out of compared to a minivan. I'd say get yourself a minivan or a crossover (Highlander, CX7/9, Subaru, etc), and a sedan for your DD. Keep the 80 and REBUILD (no swap).

Take a hard look at a used Acura Mdx.

My wife has a pinched nerve in her back...the 100 is a little on the tall side.

On the flip side a car like a camry, odyssey, or Accord sits a little bit to low for putting the kids inside.

The 2006 MDX is right at the sweet spot(not too high, not too low).

Think about it :)

I sold my 80 and regret it.

Sell modded 80 for stock 100? Don't do it.

Take a hard look at a used Acura Mdx.

My wife has a pinched nerve in her back...the 100 is a little on the tall side.

On the flip side a car like a camry, odyssey, or Accord sits a little bit to low for putting the kids inside.

The 2006 MDX is right at the sweet spot(not too high, not too low).

Think about it :)

I sold my 80 and regret it.

MDX was the first car I looked at and I bet I spent 4 hours researching the years and accessories. Had some not so great reviews although a resounding blast to drive with 300hp.

Consider something like a Mazda 5 mini-minivan

Brand new will ballpark $20k depending on options
4cyl and takes 87 octane gasoline, prob realistic 23-25mpg
Step in height is minivan level
Sliding doors for easy access to back
3rd row seat is good only for kids, useful for those carpool days
Should be pretty reliable

I totally agree with Hoser.

The 100 is nice but it's not an 80 but then again ... 80 isn't a 100 either.....

Keep the 80 and buy her a crossover of sorts, minivans are incredibly convenient. Good mpg's, low to the ground, can fit kids and their friends, easy to drive. You can buy a beater commuter car, it breaks down, you have 2 cars to choose from and it sounds like you know how to wrench so being stranded and helpless doesn't really apply to you. Well maybe the stranded part until the tow truck gets there :)

Good luck with your wife's hip replacement. It'll be uncomfortable for a little bit but it'll feel much better in the long run. Just like when you keep the 80!

Buck, You have known me a long time since we sat at that fire in 2006 before you bought this truck

The 100 is a much more comfortable vehicle, faster and newer with more creature comforts. I enjoy driving it around town much more than the 80.

Click the link in my signature on my 100 and see why I picked it and how I built it. You will notice I built my 100 much like the 80, less the SC (Don't need with the v8), gears and a 34" tire vs a 35" tire. The 34" with the 5speed and V8 didnt need the gears IMOP.

It is true that a built 80 can do better climbing on rocks than a built 100 with all things equal. The thing that changes it is the driver. A good driver can do amazing things in even a stock vehicle. The 100 has some other tools if you get one with A-Track and add lockers

If you would eventually build up the 100, I think thets the way to go. If it would take you quite a while to build the 100 and you need a built rig, then keep the 80.

No I am not doing a Shotts and saying the 100 is better, it isnt. Both the 80 and 100 are great vehicles and each has its own advantages. I am basing this comment off of knowing you.

I wheeled my 80 all over and have ZERO regrets moving to a 100. It was the right vehicle for me at this time in my life. Not a better vehicle. I have wheeled the 100 over many (but not all yet) of the same trails as i did the 80 and havent had any issues. I have had some fun seeing what the A-Trac could do and then the same obstacle with the locker

Look at my thread and give me a call if you want to chat some more.

Kind of surprised at the responses. Almost invariably if someone isn't hardcore wheeling the answer in both 80 and 100 forums is the hundy. In this case, if it's a third vehicle even hundy guys are saying hang on to the 80. If that isn't objectivity I don't know what is.

The phone lines are still open so please chime in. :D

Thanks.

i4c4lo- You have put out some truly amazing videos. :cheers:

I appreciate the well wishes for the wifey. She was a dancer (no not tiddy but could be :grinpimp:) and the 15 years of it along with some displasia (sp?) hasn't done her any favors. Doctors believe her recovery will be swift due to age and being in shape. Bad news is they believe since she is so young and active she could possibly be looking at two more replacements at varrying times throughout her life.

Buck, You have known me a long time since we sat at that fire in 2006 before you bought this truck

The 100 is a much more comfortable vehicle, faster and newer with more creature comforts. I enjoy driving it around town much more than the 80.

Click the link in my signature on my 100 and see why I picked it and how I built it. You will notice I built my 100 much like the 80, less the SC (Don't need with the v8), gears and a 34" tire vs a 35" tire. The 34" with the 5speed and V8 didnt need the gears IMOP.

It is true that a built 80 can do better climbing on rocks than a built 100 with all things equal. The thing that changes it is the driver. A good driver can do amazing things in even a stock vehicle. The 100 has some other tools if you get one with A-Track and add lockers

If you would eventually build up the 100, I think thets the way to go. If it would take you quite a while to build the 100 and you need a built rig, then keep the 80.

No I am not doing a Shotts and saying the 100 is better, it isnt. Both the 80 and 100 are great vehicles and each has its own advantages. I am basing this comment off of knowing you.

I wheeled my 80 all over and have ZERO regrets moving to a 100. It was the right vehicle for me at this time in my life. Not a better vehicle. I have wheeled the 100 over many (but not all yet) of the same trails as i did the 80 and havent had any issues. I have had some fun seeing what the A-Trac could do and then the same obstacle with the locker

Look at my thread and give me a call if you want to chat some more.

That Flat Nasty trip was the first glimpse I had at what an 80 can do in the hands of someone who lacked the fear of body damage. :eek:

Ken, I need to go back and reread your thread. The last time I read it I think it had 6 pages so it's probably grown by now. One of your comments if I remember correctly, was wanting something more civilized and more suited to your postion in life. If you had a dd vehicle that fit the bill would you have traded the 80? Bear in mind no matter what, I'll dd something that gets better mileage than an 80 or 100.

Last edited:
Let's put it this way, there is no way I would have 100 as a 3rd vehicle. Especially if I had to sell an 80 to get it. The only reason I have a 100 now is I need it to pull a trailer... I think the better ride on the road and slightly more power isn't worth the feel of the 80. Now, if you were selling the 80 and your commuter car (i.e. going to a 2 car family) by all means get the 100.

But then some of us like to have two commuter vehicles :D

I should note that I eleceted to get the 5 speed, which from checking around makes a huge difference. I don't need lower gears because the gears on the 100 are low as my 4:88's (feeling wise) going down hill on a trail. That is a consideration in what you get.

And it isnt slightly more power, at least with the 5 speed. I still have an 80 and had a Supercharged 80. the stock 2004 100 has more power than my SC'd 80 which ran very hot on mountain passes and especially when towing. I completelty redid the cooling suystem and it sill ran on the warm side. The 100 hasnt run hot yet. I can tow my 3500lb camper with my 100 much easier than the sc'd 80
BMW 006.jpg

An 80 is best on the trail hands down. (Solid axle, more lift, better articulation).
We have beat the crap out of this discussion before...

Everything outside this scenario, the 100 is an upgrade.

I buy a LandCruiser for reliable transport, which is my priority above mpg, style or any other BS.

Give me 2 LC's or give me nothing :+)

Sent from my droid

An 80 is best on the trail hands down. (Solid axle, more lift, better articulation).
We have beat the crap out of this discussion before...

Everything outside this scenario, the 100 is an upgrade.

To be clear with my above comments, I agree 100% with this statement. This sums up what I was trying to say better.

"An 80 is best on the trail hands down. (Solid axle, more lift, better articulation).
We have beat the crap out of this discussion before... everything outside of this scenario, the 100 is an upgrade"

Sometimes it isn't about where one shines over another. Sometimes it's about the soul. I spent a great deal of time thinking about what is the best rig for me going forward, the answer to that is the 100. With that said, I'm keeping the 80 :D

My thoughts are this. Deep down, I just don't think I'm ready to giver her up. I fell in love with her and I think that romance can be rekindled. If I rebuild her and put time into her over the next two years it could become exactly what I want and am happy with. If at any point between now and then I realize the relationship is over, I can find her a new home pretty easy. A completely built, locked and uber clean garaged 80 is getting rare now, can you imagine 2 years from now? Also, in 2 years I imagine a tremendous number of 04-06 will be out there as the soccer mom's start hitting 8-10 years old and 100k. Oh how they shudder at the thought of being stranded with the kids due to such a high mileage vehicle.:D That puts the 100 at an age and a price range that won't cause me stress about damage or pinstriping on the trail.

I think when it's time to let her go it'll be time and I won't look back over my shoulder.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. I have been pretty undecided for a couple of weeks and this thread, maybe through the responses or me just putting it on paper helped.

Looks like it's time for a minivan, an 80, and I just saw a local 2002 Avalon with 77k for 7800.00 Going to go look at it as a dd. Although, Ken's roadster sure looks good next to a cruiser.:hmm:

Thank you again,

Buck

Last edited:
Wrench on the 80 with your kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom