MY 2001 LC Stolen in Seattle (Do 100-Series LC's get stolen often? ever?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Bummed. About a month ago, my mint condition 2001 Land Cruiser was stolen outside my house here in Seattle. The key was not in the car; there was no backup key hidden on the car; I still have my 2 FOB's in my house; etc. Car was there at 3:30am; gone at 3:45am per my Ring 15-minute snapshot mode. I spoke to the "TorFab" shop here in the Seattle / Everett area and he was very surprised to hear, since he never hears about stolen 100-series...primarily due to the RF chip on the key.

Question: Have you heard of 100-series being stolen? How would they actually steal it and over-ride the chip? Hack the ECU unit + ?

Thanks!
Greg

The bigger question is what do they plan on doing with it? Can people really get away with parting s*** out to the junkyards? Keep your eyes peeled, maybe you'll find some clues out there.

My Ring Camera would have picked up a flat bed truck. It did pick up a light in the driver seat and whoosh, gone a few minutes later. Could they get a replacecment key based on the VIN? Whatever it is, it looks like they might have cracked the LC 100 Series computer...I recommend installing trackers....

Sorry about your cruiser and hope it turns up. I purchased these trackers on Amazon. They're waterproof, has a strong magnetic back so you could even attach it somewhere under the car and battery lasts a few weeks (depends on how often you ping the thing, too). Software is old school but works fine. You can set up a fence to text you when the vehicle leaves the area.

The one in the link is the OBD-II port. I actually have the model that looks like a puck.

Amazon product ASIN B0747FGGVC

That sucks man. I've heard of people who have devices that can literally hack into any cars computer and open the door lock (not sure how true it is). I have airtags honestly in all my cars. Hide them away and can track them.

My neighbor's Volvo up the street was stolen last week. They must have programmed and brought a key to do it. I checked my cameras and the same night at 3am someone drove by and stopped to take pictures of my 100 parked in my driveway. Now I'm paranoid I will wake up one morning and it will be gone.

Not sure there is any defense if the thieves can just cut a key and program it based on the VIN except maybe a steering wheel club.

Best thing you can do is make it hard for them. Things like a fuel shut off or pulling efi relay etc. In my other truck I have an AirTag and use the club on my steering wheel. Yes the lock can be drilled but most thieves want to get in and out quickly. Planning to add a fuel shutoff eventually. There are a few downsides with an AirTag. Will eventually do the same for my 100.

Best thing you can do is make it hard for them. Things like a fuel shut off or pulling efi relay etc. In my other truck I have an AirTag and use the club on my steering wheel. Yes the lock can be drilled but most thieves want to get in and out quickly. Planning to add a fuel shutoff eventually. There are a few downsides with an AirTag. Will eventually do the same for my 100.
What downsides are there with an airtag?

My neighbor's Volvo up the street was stolen last week. They must have programmed and brought a key to do it. I checked my cameras and the same night at 3am someone drove by and stopped to take pictures of my 100 parked in my driveway. Now I'm paranoid I will wake up one morning and it will be gone.

Not sure there is any defense if the thieves can just cut a key and program it based on the VIN except maybe a steering wheel club.
You can just put something over the vin on the dash and frame if you think that's what people are using.

A firearm within reach will help as well.

What downsides are there with an airtag?

They can alert a person if an AirTag is following them. People were using them to maliciously follow/stalk others. Don’t think it will alert android users. Apple changed the tag to alert a person if a tag was following them. But I think they need to be at or near their home location which is set in the person’s iPhone.

So say if someone stole your vehicle with an AirTag hidden, if that person brings the stolen vehicle home the AirTag could alert them that an unknown tag is following them. It can then allow them to disable or locate the tag.

They can alert a person if an AirTag is following them. People were using them to maliciously follow/stalk others. Don’t think it will alert android users. Apple changed the tag to alert a person if a tag was following them. But I think they need to be at or near their home location which is set in the person’s iPhone.

So say if someone stole your vehicle with an AirTag hidden, if that person brings the stolen vehicle home the AirTag could alert them that an unknown tag is following them. It can then allow them to disable or locate the tag.
Good info!

You can just put something over the vin on the dash and frame if you think that's what people are using.

A firearm within reach will help as well.
I think nowadays it's easy to get the VIN from the license plate. Also a firearm does no good in the middle of the night when you are sleeping.

I think nowadays it's easy to get the VIN from the license plate. Also a firearm does no good in the middle of the night when you are sleeping.
Dam I didn't know that . Where are people taking these stolen rigs? Chopping them up for parts ?

Club: to prevent drilling/freeze shattering, put the stearing wheel club on such that the key side faces the dash. Very little room for drill and any freezing attempt will be aimed at crook's face.

in the "image is everything" world, I have been using an unlocked (no key) club for 20+ years.

Or maybe it's luck:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom