Builds My 1972 Fj40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As someone dealing with a 1972 that someone fit a later model top and ambulance doors on at one point, I'm really curious how your tub has the recessed corners for the ambulance doors. Was that modified at some point? Also, it looks like you never had lower hinges for a swing open tailgate, which makes it even more weird to me if some body work to cover those hinge holes wasn't done previously. The previous owner of mine just slapped the ambulance doors on and they sit proud of the tub because there is no recessed corner. I'm trying to figure out how to fix this, or if that doesn't work out perhaps I'll just go back to a proper year top.
I’ve learned a lot since I bought my 40. When I was looking at them I thought I knew a good bit but somehow completely missed that ambulance doors weren’t available on earlier years. I just knew I liked them and this one had them so I didn’t think anything of it. After getting it and reading a lot here, I realized it had been modified at some point. My top has places for hinges for the upper panel to swing out and my tub has the older style reverse light and places for the spare carrier to bolt on the PS so I think it’s original. As far as what exactly has been modified I’m not sure. I’d guess they just filled in the holes on the tub and drilled new ones for the amby door hinges then just drilled new ones in the top. I’ll take pictures of anything you need. As for the doors sitting flush mine aren’t perfect but I don’t think they’re terrible either.

I’ve learned a lot since I bought my 40. When I was looking at them I thought I knew a good bit but somehow completely missed that ambulance doors weren’t available on earlier years. I just knew I liked them and this one had them so I didn’t think anything of it. After getting it and reading a lot here, I realized it had been modified at some point. My top has places for hinges for the upper panel to swing out and my tub has the older style reverse light and places for the spare carrier to bolt on the PS so I think it’s original. As far as what exactly has been modified I’m not sure. I’d guess they just filled in the holes on the tub and drilled new ones for the amby door hinges then just drilled new ones in the top. I’ll take pictures of anything you need. As for the doors sitting flush mine aren’t perfect but I don’t think they’re terrible either.
Thanks for your help on figuring this out. I think your rig being similar to mine as an earlier model converted to ambulance doors, seeing what was done on yours could be helpful. Could you take photos and share what was done on the tub sides where for ambulance doors they are normally recessed to match the top recess? If your tub was modified with a recess, dimensions of that would be awesome. I was thinking maybe cutting out the corner and putting in some 1/2" angle iron for a corner there might work? Also, I noticed in one of your photos the interior wall was cut away to access the normally captured nuts for the upper ambulance door hinges, if you could take some photos of what exactly was done there, that would help me. I've included a photo of the area I'm talking about.

PXL_20231226_200226480.jpg

PXL_20231226_200331394.jpg

Thanks for your help on figuring this out. I think your rig being similar to mine as an earlier model converted to ambulance doors, seeing what was done on yours could be helpful. Could you take photos and share what was done on the tub sides where for ambulance doors they are normally recessed to match the top recess? If your tub was modified with a recess, dimensions of that would be awesome. I was thinking maybe cutting out the corner and putting in some 1/2" angle iron for a corner there might work? Also, I noticed in one of your photos the interior wall was cut away to access the normally captured nuts for the upper ambulance door hinges, if you could take some photos of what exactly was done there, that would help me. I've included a photo of the area I'm talking about.

View attachment 3517844

View attachment 3517845
Yes I can absolutely take pictures/get measurements of those areas and anything else you need. I’m out of town for Christmas at the moment but when I get back I’ll take some pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom