My 1960 Fj-25 build thread, in Mexico (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh yeah, I see no significant rust on that rig even the rotted floor is pretty solid.:)
Thanks I did thought so, the minute I lay eyes the first time, it looked very solid, tomorrow we´ll see bare metal and reveal all previous dents and rust condition. Will post more photos

Just a word of caution: you mentioned "sandblasting." If whoever does the blasting uses sand, or slag, Green diamond, etc., and is not experienced or is over-enthusiastic, you can seriously warp the body panels. Check on the availability of something less aggressive like walnut shells and make sure the operator knows what he's doing. Sand has its uses on some parts, but it pays to be careful.
Thank you Bear, notice taken, we do have tons of experience in sandblasting, however I do have to remind the operator to use fine sand or dust so it doesn’t damage or warps the panels, walnut shells are very expensive and hard to get here, I already called him after reading this to tell him not to use coarse sand on this, hopefully no warping will occur

Not really sure what you mean, you mean trading parts?, for example front bumper still in the project, and I don’t have fuel tank or fuel cap.

Trading??? What does that mean in our world? We are all vultures when it comes to cruisers as early as this. :ban:. :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

Good luck with your project and as @Cruiser_Nerd said it won’t be very difficult to get it going with stock Toyota motor and if you can’t find an “F” than even “2F” will bolt right in. For an example I have got F155 from 1974 FJ40 in my FJ25 with stock tranny. Everything lines up as it should and with few small details can be made to look period correct.

Here is one for sale in classifieds - For Sale - Toyota 1969 F Engine - Costa Mesa CA. Could be a great option.

Last edited:
Trading??? What does that mean in our world? We are all vultures when it comes to cruisers as early as this. :ban:. :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

Good luck with your project and as @Cruiser_Nerd said it won’t be very difficult to get it going with stock Toyota motor and if you can’t find an “F” than even “2F” will bolt right in. For an example I have got F155 from 1974 FJ40 in my FJ25 with stock tranny. Everything lines up as it should and with few small details can be made to look period correct.

Here is one for sale in classifieds - For Sale - Toyota 1969 F Engine - Costa Mesa CA. Could be a great option.
Hey Archie, trading means a parts exchange to me, for example if I use the new axles the I have old axle to trade for other parts I need, like a gas tank, fuel cap, windshield wiper motor, seats, etc.
I saw the post for the F engine and you’re right, it’s dirt cheap, but still many other parts missing, like original wheels, wheel caps, air filter, and many many more to make it period correct, that’s why I decided to go with a newer Toyota for a donor, parts available everywhere, nice usability without the fear breaking something almost impossible to get, and better performance overall.

Adapting the 4runner drivetrain will be a major undertaking with considerable custom fabrication required. Me, I'd go the simplest route and stick with something that will be a lot closer to a bolt-in job. That 4runner stuff isn't it.

Adapting the 4runner drivetrain will be a major undertaking with considerable custom fabrication required. Me, I'd go the simplest route and stick with something that will be a lot closer to a bolt-in job. That 4runner stuff isn't it.
Well, you’re right about that, but that custom fabrication you’re talking about it’s a challenge we are willing to accept, since that’s what we do in my shop, laser cutting and custom fabrication of all kinds of pieces, welding and powder coating, we have never done something like this, but in the end, to me this is all but steel, and we’ve done thousands of different pieces for same amount of applications, measure, cut, grind, weld, paint, etc, are our day to day job so no challenge is too hard for my team. Should be fun though, watching all those shows on tv and online about custom fabrication for a rig, but now we got our first opportunity to really do it for ourselves. We are all about the challenges, always been, always will. Thanks for the notice, will post the progress, tomorrow we receive the 4Runner and start tearing apart all of it

Here are some pics of the body sandblasted

2F1E31B1-BAAD-4706-B799-2E5A69B7A9BC.jpeg

FA57BBB0-BA94-4A76-ADD7-C843A54B9F3D.jpeg

47A62FAD-D0BB-4887-9D3C-A83F5B795577.jpeg

1C4D2E43-9B0A-4EA0-92C3-FC9ADB03002B.jpeg

88727B80-7209-40F8-8223-3609A627AFE0.jpeg

Hola, yo estoy en México, tengo una FJ40 de 65 y un amigo está reconstruyendo una FJ25. Por si ocupas.
¡Saludos y felicidades!

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry mate but you can't cite cost as a reason to stray from original when replacement parts are so cheap and that 4Runner is so expensive. And you can't cite distance as a hurdle when the US is literally a stones throw away. In Australia, we routinely buy parts 2000 miles away. I think you actually want a resto-modded truck and always did.

You don't need an F135, nor the original trans [which you can free up by soaking in molasses] nor the centred rear axle. You need an F145/F155/2F [$500 USD], a J30 or H41 [$500 USD] and an offset rear axle to match [$500 USD]. Then you have a driver. Add a disc brake front axle [OEM or built] for another $500 USD.

I'm usually open minded about resto-mods, but to do that to a car in such terrific shape with such incredible history is a damn shame.

There is no point in having the first Toyota sold in Mexico when you pop the hood and there's a 4Runner donk in there. What will you do when the trans is too long and you need to cut the tubular crossmember out? Now your chassis is modified. And the trans tunnel too small? Now that's been cut up.

Find someone who wants a 25 and modify an FJ40. It's what you wanted in the first place.

Sometimes you have to work with what you have, and not worry about what you don't have.

You got to realize that he is in Mexico. That is usually a world away from Juarez or Tijuana, much less California or New Mexico.

Yeah, nah. I shipped an engine 600mi because I knew it was good and better than what I found locally. Teaching an Aussie about vast distances is preaching to the converted. I’m not having a go at the bloke, I’m just saying that he wanted a resto-modded 40 to begin with, so that’s what he should probably build and let the 25 live on as a 25.

Let it live Erabago, let it live!! :D

Well, with that said, I'll be glad to help if I can. There is a '72 engine J30 and stock transfer case with power-take-off unit still bolted on here in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

I wrote to him recently to offer help and exchange experiences, etc..., I too am in Mexico and have had to be very patient with sourcing my parts. I am trying to keep my '65 resto as OEM as possible. Hard? Hell yeah, but not impossible. Fortunately there are many old school mechanics with tons of old Rambler engine know how, which is somewhat similar to the 1F. I'm still a complete newby but have learnt w few things about my FJ40.
Anyway, I hope he writes back as I also know another guy restoring a '60 FJ25 and we've been able to help each other out big time.

You are very accurate with your comments, I always wanted and FJ40, but an FJ25 came locally and both are very hard finds down here, the 4runner was cheap, I just came across another FJ25 recently and that stopped me to continue with the 4runner's plan, I'm considering finding a good F engine, and all the other parts, thanks to this thread now i'm in contact with other guys down here willing to help and that have been building FJ25's also, and you're right I think we can revive the transmission, and it will be stupid to have this Toyota piece of history with a 4runner heart inside.

This will take much longer tough, and money will be required to get all the missing parts. Looking forward to make progress soon, first we need an engine...

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry mate but you can't cite cost as a reason to stray from original when replacement parts are so cheap and that 4Runner is so expensive. And you can't cite distance as a hurdle when the US is literally a stones throw away. In Australia, we routinely buy parts 2000 miles away. I think you actually want a resto-modded truck and always did.

You don't need an F135, nor the original trans [which you can free up by soaking in molasses] nor the centred rear axle. You need an F145/F155/2F [$500 USD], a J30 or H41 [$500 USD] and an offset rear axle to match [$500 USD]. Then you have a driver. Add a disc brake front axle [OEM or built] for another $500 USD.

I'm usually open minded about resto-mods, but to do that to a car in such terrific shape with such incredible history is a damn shame.

There is no point in having the first Toyota sold in Mexico when you pop the hood and there's a 4Runner donk in there. What will you do when the trans is too long and you need to cut the tubular crossmember out? Now your chassis is modified. And the trans tunnel too small? Now that's been cut up.

Find someone who wants a 25 and modify an FJ40. It's what you wanted in the first place.
very accu

The other FJ25, also 1960 I came across, has a Rambler Engine, That's why I did noy bought it inmediately, it has another RWD transmission also, and the shifter was adapted far back from its place, we stiil negotiating since I like them a lot, and would consider having a second project after I finish this one.

Thanks for the eye opening, your're very right to say this must live as a 25.

The other FJ25, also 1960 I came across, has a Rambler Engine, That's why I did noy bought it inmediately, it has another RWD transmission also, and the shifter was adapted far back from its place, we stiil negotiating since I like them a lot, and would consider having a second project after I finish this one.

Thanks for the eye opening, your're very right to say this must live as a 25.

Thanks for letting it live as FJ25. Now I will officially welcome you to an awesome roller coaster ride ahead. Yes road ahead is somewhat difficult but not impossible by any means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom