mwm diesel motors??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lt1fire

SILVER Star
Threads
Not sure if anybody here reads diesel power. but in the newest issue there is a small article about a guy who swapped a mwm 4.2 diesel motor from brasil into his full size 4x4 suburban and gets 30 mpg on the street and 43 on the highway. Since a diesel swap is in my future and these things bolt up to chevy trannys like the 700r4 I was wondering if anybody here had any info on these motors or a link. I've searched but haven't found exactly what I need and the translated websites seem to come out a little backwards. I'm looking for a site with info on the motors and also a place to buy them. One, if possible, for the cruiser and one for the suburban my wife has always wanted.

Those numbers sound highly exaggerated to me.
To get 43mpg in a suburban you'd have to be pushing it 50% of the time.

MWM has been part of several different groups, they do a 2.8 diesel based on the old landrover 2.5L TDI, a 3.9 which is similar bore/stroke to the Isuzu 4BD1T and cummins 4BT.

Unfortunately their website seems to be having issues.
www.mwm.com.br

yeah I tried their web site and couldn't get anything. I'm thinking the numbers are exaggerated aswell. But the motor (the 4.2) has fairly good power numbers and even if it only gets half those numbers it's still something i'm going to consider.

I would consider the 4.2 as well if I thought there was any chance of finding one. It sounds perfect, from what I read it will bolt up to GM transmissions which makes an 80 swap possible. Anyone have a clue where to find one?
Rusty

Some of the smaller diesels in their range sound ok ,but the 6 cyl that I could see are about 540 kg:eek:

The 2.8 and 3.0 litre would be good in a RJ/LJ7* and maybe a 40 series ,although they have to do 3800 rpm to get their max rated HP:meh:

Certaily needs more investigation.

The site is working now MWM INTERNATIONAL Motores

I think the main thing to consider is parts availability. That is the reason for the popularity of the Cummins, Isuzu and GM 6.2 conversions. Parts are easily available anywhere in the country and at least in the case of the 6.2 they are inexpensive as well. The MWM engines sound great but you could have some major down time if you ever need any parts.
Rusty

The 2.8 and 3.0 litre would be good in a RJ/LJ7* and maybe a 40 series ,although they have to do 3800 rpm to get their max rated HP:meh:

That's not unusual. The 1KZ-TE delivers it's 100kw at 3600rpm.
It's the peak torque (375Nm at 1400rpm) which tells the true story.

In some circles, putting an ex landrover engine into a toyota would be hilarious.:D

That's not unusual. The 1KZ-TE delivers it's 100kw at 3600rpm.
It's the peak torque (375Nm at 1400rpm) which tells the true story.

In some circles, putting an ex landrover engine into a toyota would be hilarious.:D

I always find it hilarious that you can use slow old engines from other vehicles that no one wants ,put them into a LR and its an improvement:D
eg Holden red motor and Landcruiser B diesel;)

I always find it hilarious that you can use slow old engines from other vehicles that no one wants ,put them into a LR and its an improvement:D
eg Holden red motor and Landcruiser B diesel;)

If you were coming from a 2.25L petrol, it'd make perfect sense.:D

But the best landrover motor, the 4BD1T which the ADF installed. I still can't believe an (australian) govt dept got it soo right.

Howdy folks,

I'm new to this forum so excuse me if I do something stupid, don't quite know how this works yet...

I'm from Brazil, I am in the process of building a custom 4WD, I'm using modern dana 44 axles, an MWM Turbo Diesel motor (2.8L, 160HP at 3500 RPM) with an Eaton tranny.

Although I have owned jeeps and have been on trails for almost 8 years now I consider myself a total newbie when it comes to mechanics, I don't know anything about gear ratios, lockers, stuff that I should know right about now to make my configuration work perfectly. (I want selectable lockers, front and rear + 35' BFG ATs)

I have been using High Speed MWM's since 2001 (have owned the 4Cil. and the 6Cil) and I can tell, I was surprised when I learned that they are actually brazilian motors. Gents, these are definitely built to last, I put about 400 thousand miles (I kid you not) on a GMC V6 Blazer which I swapped with a MWM diesel 2.8L before I had it rebuilt. You simply DON'T do maintenance on these engines, besides water pump and injection stuff, I didn't touch anything else in it. They pretty much run like gasoline engines, the torque is very nice, when the turbo kicks in you feel the RPMs delivering power pretty fast, real 3500 RPM is when you have it's best, but it's very strong in torque prior to that, so you're always in a comfortable riding zone. The 4Cilinder 2.8L in my 4WD, which is pretty heavy, does exactly 26MPG with 33' shoes.

Now, the 6 cylinder, it runs pretty much like a V6, it's super light, and pretty fast, plus the torque is ridiculous, BUT, it wasn't a very economical engine... the new electronic ones also don't differ much from the mechanically injected ones. I rather have the mechanical ones, they're more reliable and they don't fear water.

Well, I think the modern MWMs are the best engines I have ever owned, no Ford, Maxxion, International that I have used came close to them in pretty much about any aspect of a diesel engine. They just seem lighter, more powerful and much more reliable.

Cheers

Howdy folks,

I'm new to this forum so excuse me if I do something stupid, don't quite know how this works yet...

I'm from Brazil, I am in the process of building a custom 4WD, I'm using modern dana 44 axles, an MWM Turbo Diesel motor (2.8L, 160HP at 3500 RPM) with an Eaton tranny.

Although I have owned jeeps and have been on trails for almost 8 years now I consider myself a total newbie when it comes to mechanics, I don't know anything about gear ratios, lockers, stuff that I should know right about now to make my configuration work perfectly. (I want selectable lockers, front and rear + 35' BFG ATs)

I have been using High Speed MWM's since 2001 (have owned the 4Cil. and the 6Cil) and I can tell, I was surprised when I learned that they are actually brazilian motors. Gents, these are definitely built to last, I put about 400 thousand miles (I kid you not) on a GMC V6 Blazer which I swapped with a MWM diesel 2.8L before I had it rebuilt. You simply DON'T do maintenance on these engines, besides water pump and injection stuff, I didn't touch anything else in it. They pretty much run like gasoline engines, the torque is very nice, when the turbo kicks in you feel the RPMs delivering power pretty fast, real 3500 RPM is when you have it's best, but it's very strong in torque prior to that, so you're always in a comfortable riding zone. The 4Cilinder 2.8L in my 4WD, which is pretty heavy, does exactly 26MPG with 33' shoes.

Now, the 6 cylinder, it runs pretty much like a V6, it's super light, and pretty fast, plus the torque is ridiculous, BUT, it wasn't a very economical engine... the new electronic ones also don't differ much from the mechanically injected ones. I rather have the mechanical ones, they're more reliable and they don't fear water.

Well, I think the modern MWMs are the best engines I have ever owned, no Ford, Maxxion, International that I have used came close to them in pretty much about any aspect of a diesel engine. They just seem lighter, more powerful and much more reliable.

Cheers

Now why is it you can find a super-efficient incredibly lightweight diesel with 50X the finesse of anything used by The Big Three anywhere but here in the States? :mad:
Seriously, we hear about fuel economy 90 times a day here, yet the Fed still plays Soup Nazi when it comes to solid, efficient motors.

Diesel Nazi, eh? Bummer...

What about that new Electronic International 3.0? I'm hearing nice things about it, you guys must have that one there, no? We just don't know yet if it compares in durability with the MWMs, but the power is pretty sweet and it weights about the same. Consumption is not as good as the 2.8, but not far off.

They're equipping a fiberglass 4X4 which is made here in Brazil by Ford. I f-ing hate it though, it's a lame fiberglass replica of a Wrangler in design. In mechanics is super but suspension and center of gravity are mediocre.

They're equipping a fiberglass 4X4 which is made here in Brazil by Ford. I f-ing hate it though, it's a lame fiberglass replica of a Wrangler in design. In mechanics is super but suspension and center of gravity are mediocre.

I saw one of those plastic vehicles recently. I thought it was a good idea but the details were pretty far off, like it was a custom car. Are they mass producing those or are they hand crafting them?

Rick

I saw one of those plastic vehicles recently. I thought it was a good idea but the details were pretty far off, like it was a custom car. Are they mass producing those or are they hand crafting them?

Rick

Hey Rick,

the name of the 4X4 we're talking about is Troller, the idea came from a small company back in 98/99 if I'm not mistaken... the guy simply wanted to build a fiberglass 4x4 and he copied the Wrangler's design... That's how Brazil rolls, they never create something good enough, they have to COPY. They started to sell those and it became a serious thing, the first ones came with Alcohol engines, 4Cylinder 2.0L. Which is obviously not a good idea in my opinion, fiberglass and alcohol in a vehicle that is often rolled over on trails... They burn like hell. Then they started to use the diesel MWMs, and now that Ford bought the company they seemed to have taken the critics of how much it looks like a fiberglass replica of a Wrangler and changed the looks of the vehicle and now they're using the Electronic International Engines, the same ones that ICON uses on their FJs. It's a pretty big factory, they sell them in big numbers, despite the fact that they suck and they cost a fortune in my opinion (they go for about 50.000 dollars).

The fiberglass body seems like a good idea but in order to make them so they won't crack or deform too much over time, they make a very thick body. I use the same mechanics on my 4X4 of a Troller with MWM Engine, from 2004, which still remains the best and a favorite around here, my ride has a metal body, hard top, doors, AC,etc... even though it is so much bigger then those it's about 250lbs lighter. So, it's really just about rust.

I my case, I ripped the floor out, put a complete new one, then applied fiberglass and resin inside, and on top of it thermal mat, it will never rust again and the noise level inside my ride now is even boring, you can barely hear the pistons. I hate fiberglass, if I would fancy it up, I rather go with aluminum.

Cheers,
Bruno

Here's the Website: https://www.troller.com.br/t4/
Pretty interesting stuff from all the pictures, but I didn't understand a word the site had to say (non parlo Portugese, mi dispiace).

There are some features to it style-wise I wish they'd really improve (Like the crappy heep-style flared rear fenders, why the heck don't they just widen the tub to accomodate the larger axles?) but I'd probably take one over a Heep any day.

It's interesting, because here on 'Mud we get to see what happened after many different companies take the Jeep concept, and rework it. With 'Cruisers, Toyota took the idea and really ran with it, and made the whole idea good. The end result was a classy, brawny machine with comparatively beefy axles, a drivetrain that just worked and a hard-top that looked like it belongs on the rig.

On the other end of the spectrum, we see rigs like the Troller where some serious engineering went into the design, but it still looks like a regurgitated heep. It's sad since vehicles like that are the reason I've heard hardcore jeepers call Cruisers "****** Jeeps":bang: because these rigs are almost carbon copies.

Anyway, rant mode off....

Well, to me, they not only look like roller-coaster carts on wheels but the interior is small like one, it's ridiculous, very uncomfortable especially if you're 5' 11 and above, the back seat was definitely designed for kids. Suspension is very limited and dry, and the engine sits right on top of the front axle, 70% of this vehicle's weight is concentrated in the front. Anyway, I have ridden on them a lot of times, I was always disappointed.

In my rig I installed the engine a little under the windshield, right behind the front axle. Rides like a regular car on the road, suspension is long, I'm about to install Ranchos XL.

Here's a picture of the model I used for this mechanics with 35' shoes. I love this rig, suspension is fantastic, it uses triangular bars instead of Panhards.
jpx%20042.JPG

that looks like a Samurai and a roller-coaster cart had a love child, and nobody had the common sense to kill it early...

that looks like a Samurai and a roller-coaster cart had a love child, and nobody had the common sense to kill it early...

hahaha
what a hater... cheesus.

Let me tell you something, this thing will go places that would blow your mind, effortlessly. Other pretty nice thing about it is that I can cover almost 600 miles without having to use the spare fuel. Internal space is phenomenal.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom