mwm diesel motors??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hahaha
what a hater... cheesus.

Let me tell you something, this thing will go places that would blow your mind, effortlessly. Other pretty nice thing about it is that I can cover almost 600 miles without having to use the spare fuel. Internal space is phenomenal.

Cheers

Woah, sorry, my reply came off waaaay too jerk-ish, which I didn't aim for. My apologies.

Tell me more about this little beastie, the I recall the floor pan mods, and you mentioned tweaking the suspension, anything else?
What kind of transmission does it run?
What's the low-range ratio?
Any photos of the engine compartment? I'd love to see this MWM motor.
Any in-action/poser pics?

Woah, sorry, my reply came off waaaay too jerk-ish, which I didn't aim for. My apologies.

Tell me more about this little beastie, the I recall the floor pan mods, and you mentioned tweaking the suspension, anything else?
What kind of transmission does it run?
What's the low-range ratio?
Any photos of the engine compartment? I'd love to see this MWM motor.
Any in-action/poser pics?

Don't worry about it man. I wasn't a big fan when I first saw it myself. I have it for 10 years now, 2 of them. No 4x4 we have here comes close to it in internal space, suspension and stability.

I'm in the process of finishing one with the complete mechanics that I took from a Troller 2.8. So I'll have the best of both worlds.

The suspension is very flexible, you can adjust it very high with just a few mods, no problems with stability. I need to get my hands on Ranchos XL and custom coils.

I still don't have pictures of this one, it's not assembled yet, I just took the modified chassis to powder-coating and it still needs all electric system and then paint. It's 25cm longer between axles, relocated the rear axle and wheel tubs 25cm back, this gave it a longer, more secure drive shaft for the rear axle and made it possible to push back the engine behind the front axle. It'll take on a more aggressive ramp and the exit angle is improved. Central point of gravity is right in the middle now.

Tranny is an EATON FSO 2405 E with reduction unit. I have no idea what is the low-range ratio. Axles are modern DANA 44s 30 SPLINE, no lockers yet. (Any advice? I was thinking about E-Locker over ARB)
There are pictures and videos of these online but you'll only find original ones, they are french, they use Peugeot diesel engines and CARRARO axles, original ones are absolutely useless. Reason why I'm using the Troller's mechanics.

I'll post pictures and vids as soon as I finish it.

Last edited:
Here's an original one. It barely runs when they use big tires.
JPXMontez2.jpg

Hello Bruno,
I agree with you that the MWM 4 cylinder diesel engines are exceptionally good. I bought a couple of the the 4.07TCA models (2.8L turbo diesel). I have installed the GM S10 version in a long wheel base Mercedes G-Wagen, which weighs about 2500kg. That engine, which is factory rated at 135 hp and about 240 lbft of torque has adequate power to motivate that amount of iron. I adapted a NV4500 transmission behind it. With the GWagen, which has 4.88 axles and 235-85/R16 tires, I get around 10-11 L/100 km average fuel economy.
I have the other engine sitting in my garage waiting for a project. Are the Eaton FSO-2405E transmissions good units in your opinion? I'm assuming the "O" means it is a five speed overdrive, correct? Are these transmissions available?
I sure wish that in Canada we had access to the variety of diesel engines and vehicles you have in Brasil.

Regards,
Jim
Vancouver, BC

Hello Bruno,
I agree with you that the MWM 4 cylinder diesel engines are exceptionally good. I bought a couple of the the 4.07TCA models (2.8L turbo diesel). I have installed the GM S10 version in a long wheel base Mercedes G-Wagen, which weighs about 2500kg. That engine, which is factory rated at 135 hp and about 240 lbft of torque has adequate power to motivate that amount of iron. I adapted a NV4500 transmission behind it. With the GWagen, which has 4.88 axles and 235-85/R16 tires, I get around 10-11 L/100 km average fuel economy.
I have the other engine sitting in my garage waiting for a project. Are the Eaton FSO-2405E transmissions good units in your opinion? I'm assuming the "O" means it is a five speed overdrive, correct? Are these transmissions available?
I sure wish that in Canada we had access to the variety of diesel engines and vehicles you have in Brasil.

Regards,
Jim
Vancouver, BC

Hey there Jim,

that's about right, I think I will get the same fuel consumption with 35' tires since my rig is smaller. Where did you get the motors? That's the exact one I have, the S10 version. The best over here. You'll find that they're very durable... the only issue is, since it does not use a timing belt, it's all gears, you can't rebuild the engine without getting a new head... but the good thing is, you never have to worry about a broken belt.

Jim, this tranny is the best of what's around. No contest. It's quiet, robust, perfect fit, and yes exactly, 5th overdrive, my rig can reach 170 klms/h with ease, with the aerodynamic of a brick. Cruising speed is perfect, like a gasoline configuration.

We have those by the bunch here, the only thing is, nothing in Brazil is cheap. We have about double in taxes of pretty much everything that US or CAN practices. One more reason to make difficult not to hate those teabaggers. One example is, we're one of the biggest producers of oil in the world and you wouldn't believe how much we pay for it at the pump, it's a crime.

Well, If you need an eaton, parts or anything of sorts, I would be glad to give you a hand, I'll need lockers soon, we could help each other.

Best regards
Bruno

There is a much better engine than the IH 3.0 or the 2.8, the Cummins 3.3, brand new $5G from Cummins brand new, low stock output but easily turned up, quiet, parts all over the place, phenomenal.. Check out eco off road's build in the 45 section, it has the 3.0 and I did about 1100 miles with him two weeks ago and the truck completely kept up, got 24 mpg absolutely loaded to the gills, small and quiet and purrs, just awesome...

Mwm diesels

Hey Bruno,
I bought the S10 version in 2005 through a company, Hercules Engines, in Massillon, Ohio. Since the buyout of MWM by International/Navistar I don't know if they still sell these engines/parts however. The second engine I got on ebay from a person that bought it new to use in a landrover conversion and didn't. It is the VW LT version but also came with the Chevy parts like the flywheel, bellhousing etc.
Once I decide what project the second MWM engine is going in, I may eventually want to buy a Eaton transmission and I appreciate the offer of a hand. In the meantime let me know how I can help you regarding the lockers.

Dieselcruiserhead,
Those cummins 3.3 diesels do look like great engines to use in a conversion project and I'd be interested in getting one if I didn't have that spare lump sitting in my garage. I agree that parts availability is a big advantage.

Hey Bruno,
I bought the S10 version in 2005 through a company, Hercules Engines, in Massillon, Ohio. Since the buyout of MWM by International/Navistar I don't know if they still sell these engines/parts however. The second engine I got on ebay from a person that bought it new to use in a landrover conversion and didn't. It is the VW LT version but also came with the Chevy parts like the flywheel, bellhousing etc.
Once I decide what project the second MWM engine is going in, I may eventually want to buy a Eaton transmission and I appreciate the offer of a hand. In the meantime let me know how I can help you regarding the lockers.

Dieselcruiserhead,
Those cummins 3.3 diesels do look like great engines to use in a conversion project and I'd be interested in getting one if I didn't have that spare lump sitting in my garage. I agree that parts availability is a big advantage.

Jim,

we have parts for the 2.8 everywhere in Brazil, the engine is still widely used in a lot of the national fleet. So if you ever need anything just PM me. In regards to the lockers, I don't know yet which one I should get, my rig is not ready yet and by the looks of things it will still take a while, but all of the stores and sellers I'm checking with, none of them care to ship parts to Brazil. I'll figure something out, thank you.

I'm envious, I wish I had another motor for a project, it's always nice to start with a brand new one, good feeling. I dream of building a rig using the 6 cylinder MWM and dana 60s. You can see Cummins engines over here in Dodge trucks and in some of the Fords, but the ones we have are usually huge engines, heavy and low speed diesel, MWM's can reach 4500 real RPM. I'm yet to see that 3.3 over here, sounds very good, and come on, it's Cummins, they pack a massive torque and are built to last a life time. :cheers:

hahaha
what a hater... cheesus.

Let me tell you something, this thing will go places that would blow your mind, effortlessly. Other pretty nice thing about it is that I can cover almost 600 miles without having to use the spare fuel. Internal space is phenomenal.

Cheers
Hey all rick here new
I have a Jeep yj 93 just got two mwm 2.8 sprinter Diesel engines in a box who ones one

Hey all rick here new
I have a Jeep yj 93 just got two mwm 2.8 sprinter Diesel engines in a box who ones one
Its my understanding that a chevy trans will bolt up to these motors, so if you get an adapter to put your tranny on a smallblock chevy. It should work. I would reall like to talk to you about this swap, im doing as well. 443-seven- nine - 0- tree-tree- 97

A chevy 6 speed manual transmission should bolt right to that engine

Which one? Does it have a different fitment to the 2.8L, 4 cylinder version?

We are talking about the MWM Sprint 2.8 Turbo engine

Okay, first post was about the 4.2L version. Which I think is related but the MWM site has long expired.

Okay, first post was about the 4.2L version. Which I think is related but the MWM site has long expired.
I was commenting on a post that somebody else had made and asking then some questions about the NWM they were talking about so what if some other thread has expired I thought you were asking a question because you want to know the answer to it Not just so you could tell me that thread had expired

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom