Multiple Accessory belts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all what's up!? I have a quick question, this morning I noticed something hanging below my Cruiser and it was one of the inner accessory belts.
I opened the hood to see how bad the damage was and pulled the remainder of the belt out with no other issues.
Now, my question is...does the 96 LC have dual (inner accessory belts)
I noticed one outer and two inner which follow the exact path.
I am replacing all belts however, I've never seen a motor with a secondary belt.
Am I looking at the wrong belt? Manual only shows two belts, the outer and inner.
So...are the inner belts redundant or do two belts follow the same pulleys?
Thanks!! ???

Having a hard tiem visualizing this one, I know when I bought belts for my 92 and they sent me the 1fze belts there were 3 of them two in a pack and one for ac I believe.....
someone with more knowledge than I will step in. also dont mess with am belts go toyota only.
Dave

Not sure I'm following the question, but there are 3 belts on the 1fzfe. A matched set on the alt and a belt for the AC compressor.

Sounds like you answered it! The belts I'm speaking of run the alternator, water pump, through the crank...and one other location which I can't think of off the top of my head!
I bought OEM belts but, I need to get one more since right now I only purchased the outer belt and one inner belt...might as well change them all while I'm at it.
Thanks for the help...I was sure the inner had two belts but I just couldn't believe it!
Had Toyota not done that I'd be on the side of the road at the moment.
Again thanks all!

-Chris

Chris,
Take the single belt back with you when you go back to the dealer. Exchange the single and buy the matched pair. It may not make a difference but the 80 tolerances are finicky when it comes to the belts.
-B-

Chris, is that your mutt in your avatar?

That's my youngest Rottweiler named Jubi. He looks exactly like his grandfather "Akino" who recently won the German National Championship. If anyone here knows Rottweilers he's from Meggi Slask Gwara and Racker Vom Weissen Schwan who is one of the top Rottweilers in the world.
I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow so I'll exchange the belts and get the matched set!
Thanks for the info! Changing them out this weekend so hopefully it will not be too difficult.

-Chris

Ok now for the stupid question of the day so please forgive me! Do the belts have a tensioner or do they have an adjustment type of tensioner? For instance, on my Supra the accessory belt has a standard tensioner that moves when pressured and the timing belt has a grenade tensioner that needs to be removed then set...then released to put tension back on the belt. I looked around and the pulleys all seem bolted down. I am not exactly sure at the moment how to release tension on the lower (I think I may have spotted a tensioner) and the upper belts. BTW...I looked at the belts I bought (OEM) and they were sold as a pair.

Thanks for the help!

Chris,

Are you talking about the AC belt ? There's a hole on the under gravel protection where you could use a socket and an extension to loosen the tensioner (all the way). Move the tensioner up to derail the belt first for easy removal.

Cheers,
Frankl.

There is a tensioner pulley for the AC belt. The matched belt pair is tensioned by the alternator.

Well, I changed them out last night. I am amazed at how well thought out the LC is. At first I was not sure how the tensioners worked until I figured out that they are a screw type and have a locker bolt. Once I figured that out, the job was a piece of cake. The simple thought that they put on two belts to insure that the water pump along with alternator still runs is amazing.
Both OEM belts are on and they are very quiet compared to before, guess that is a warning sign. The last belt was really beat up, chunks missing but it held out for me.
Again, thanks to all who helped! I'll summarize the procedure for future reference:
Step 1. Remove battery and battery cover.
Step 2. Under the front, there is a bolt located directly below the bottom pulley which requires a 14mm socket. Losen the pulley (which also acts as a locker bolt) and begin to losen the tension adjustment bolt until the belt is lose enough to remove.
Step 3. The alternator has a pulley which has the adjustment bolt along with a locker bolt. Losen the locker bolt then the adjustment bolt until the belts are lose enough to remove. Note, you may have to actually push the alternator forward to get enough slack to remove the belt.
Step 4. Replace all three belts and adjust tension.
I cannot recommend the exact tension so, make sure the play is similar to how it was prior to removal. A good guideline is to mark the adjustment screw before you remove it.
Once the belts are changed, tighten the bottom bolt on the pulley and tighten the pulley bolt which is the lock nut. Repeat the same on the alternator.
Replace the battery cover and battery. Let the motor idle (it may start up with a high RPM for a second or two) Make sure the belts are quiet and that the car idles normally. Also, take your LC for a drive around the block to make sure everything is ok and test the A/C and heater...not sure if you really need to do this or not but, I did just to make sure.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom