Muffler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was driving in Calgary on the way to renew my passport when something came out from under the car in front of me. Was going about 50mph in heavy traffic so could not avoid the object. Anyways it goes under me with a loud klunk. My 80 is now making a pretty good noise but is driving fine. Get down town and park. look under and find a dent in my muffler and its leaking air. So after getting the passport I go to an exhaust shop. Determine the pipes are in good shape so I have them put on a free flowing muffler, a Gibson 788200, and while they are there get them to change the cat to a single free flowing job. Everything else is the same and I left the resinator on at the rear. Well it is louder than I expected. Not real loud but when driving on the hwy its as if the bass on the stereo is too loud. Gets to you after a while.
To sum it up I got a very noticeable increase in performance and I used the same amount of gas driving back home a 80-85mph with a couple of bursts to 110mph as i did driving 75-80mph on the way up.
I will quantify the gas milage increase at a later date if I don't get rid of the loud muffler first.
Sean

MTN - What cat did you get and what (if you don't mind me asking) was the $C cost? I wonder what a full OEM exhaust replacement would be (headers, pipes, cats, muffler,..) in C$ - mine may need it shortly :(

I remember most of my exhaust system falling off driving home to Yellowknife (something pulled it off) - the noise was amazing. The hard part was trying to sneak across town at 0300 to try and get home without getting pulled over!

Cheers, Hugh

haha .. I think that might be that phenomenon that guys experience when they do work on their vehicle . I don't care if it's as simple as a new bulb for the glovebox , sure as sh!t your baby will just purrr after you're done and on the road ! :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :slap:

Thing is ( and I'm too busy to lay out your trip from Fernie to Calgary ) , but wouldn't your return trip been slightly uphill ?

Tyler - *Reminds me I need to wash the 80 ; driving into the US in a few mins .. goes faster , and is stealth to radar when clean *

---------------------- [glow=blue,5,300]Yeah , like it's actually dirty !! :flipoff2:[/glow]

Hugh, not sure of the make of the cat it just says Cat Hi Flow # 602206. The cat was $165 cdn and the muff was $143 cdn. Total cost incl some new pipe around the cat & muff, 4 clamps, 1 hanger and labour was $511.90 cdn incl tax.
Tyler, laugh all ya want. It actually does perform better. Before the new cat and muff 103mph was all I could get, after I got 110 twice and there was still a little acceleration taking place before I let off. Yep, It is up hill from Calgary to Fernie. That means that my gas milage improved more than I thought. :slap: Actually the elevetion difference from Calgary(moms house) to Fernie is less than 200 feet. So not really a factor.
Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom