For Sale (MT or CO) 1977 FJ40, Aluminium tub, SOA, Shackle Reversal, $4,000 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Up for sale: 1977 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser

Here is the situation; I bought this rig sight unseen. I was told that the motor was strong and it ran great. When I picked it up and took it to a mechanic, I found out that was not the truth. The motor has some flat cams, rod knock, and a leaky radiator. This rig either needs a new heart or a rebuild on the current one. I was trying to buy a turn key because I do not have a garage, time, or know-how to do an engine rebuild or swap.

Maybe you have an engine gagging for great looking rig? Maybe you just want all the parts for your engine and frame? Let me know.

Here are the details on the situation; the rig is in Bozeman, MT. I live in Steamboat Springs, CO. I went back up to my old home in Bozeman to pick-up, register, and then drive this rig back to Colorado. Well, the engine trouble did not allow me to follow through on the last part of that plan. I can get the rig down to Colorado for $500 in gas with a friend's tow rig if you live in Colorado. So, the price of the rig is $4,000 in Bozeman, $4,500 in Northern Colorado.

This rig will drive. It will go up to 40mph without trouble. If you goose it below 40mph you will hear the valve clatter, but you can drive it carefully up to 40mph, not tax the engine and not hear the clatter. If you go much over 45 you are reaching the RPM limit on this set-up and you will hear the clatter.

Now to the good stuff, the following is a description of the components of this rig:

Mid-80s Chevy 350, electronic ignition, original Toyota radiator, new plugs and wires, Edelbrock Carburetor
The previous owner said there were only 60,000 miles on the engine. My mechanic says it looks like 150,000. The engine starts quickly. It idles well. It runs smoothly up to 3,500 rpm.
It has a lot of power (climbed a 6" step to get on the trailer just by letting out the clutch).
Flat cams on the cam shaft, two cylinders have their exhaust valves only open part way. You can hear the valve clatter above 3,500 rpm. Rod knock above 4,000ish rpm. Small crack in exhaust manifold. Leaky radiator.

Chevy 4 speed transmission
Granny gear. Works well. The slave cylinder looks to be new and needs to be adjusted. Right now the clutch contacts very close to the floor.

Toyota Transfer case
Works well. No issues.

Spring over Axle (SOA) has been completed

Shackle Reversal has been completed

Saginaw Power Steering has been completed
Works well. No issues.

33x9.5 tires on steal rims

3/4 Aluminum Tub

Solid doors all around
There was some rust on the bottom of doors. It has been blasted down to metal, primed and painted.

Solid hood

Steel Fenders
One small hole hidden by blinker.

Fresh paint

Old top
The sides look great but the roof needs work. There are holes from a wheel being mounted to the top and a rack.
Edit: freewheeling frank just stopped by to have a look. He thought the top that is on it may have come from a rig earlier than 1977. He thinks that if I or the new owner put on the spare windshield frame that is included with the sale, the roof will fit better.

Extra parts
1. New windshield frame and gasket
2. All new door gaskets
3. SOR bikini top and soft doors

Here are some photos:
More photos can be seen at http://photobucket.com/1977ToyotaFJ40

Terms of the sale:
- Cash or Certified Check only.
- $750 non-refundable earnest money needed to hold the rig.
- I can work with you on pick-up within 90 days of receipt of deposit.
- I will not back out of a deal made, but the buyer may at any time. They will forfeit the earnest money unless another agreement is reached.
- I understand circumstances that are out of your control and I am willing to work very hard to resolve any issues so that everyone is treated fairly.
- We are all in this together and I understand better than a lot of people what it feels like to be lied to during a vehicle purchase.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
IMAG0201.jpg
IMAG0210.jpg
IMAG0209.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry Deftone. I cleaned up my private message box.

There has been an offer on the rig. The buyer seems to be legit and has told me that a down payment is on the way. I should have the down payment tomorrow and will post if it goes through. Right now, please consider a sale pending as long as everything goes correctly.

Thank you for your interest.

Update? Has this been officially sold?

I am in Great Falls, only 3 hours away and will buy if this buyer backs out. Good luck with sale. Jason

sale pending

A down payment has been received. The sale is pending.
I will keep the forum updated on the status.

Update? Has this been officially sold?

Sold to me :D

I was able to fix the issue with the engine. When I pulled off the valve covers I found one of the rocker arms extremely loose. I tightened all to spec and away the engine problem went away.

What I think was considered rod knock was actually blowback out the carb. As soon as you accelerated it would produce a loud "clack" similar to a loud knock.

Truck is in great shape and cant think Pete enough for working with me. :)

I'm not really sure how the mechanic didn't see the loose rocker. :confused:

dang, kick a man while he's down.

Sold.

Ok, tie a bow on this one. Thank you to Interpol for the communication. It was good to do a deal with a fellow Mud member and know the rig went to a good home. Interpol is a great guy and it was good to get to know him over the past few months while we worked out the deal/shipping/etc. I am glad that he is happy with it and I am glad that it is out running around.

I want to give a thank you to Freewheeling Frank who was willing to help Interpol and I out while we were both a long way from where the rig was parked. Just another example of the great community we have on Mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom