MPG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Revisiting this old favourite one more time...

I always calculate my MPG and was surprised to discover a month ago that it was only about nine to the US gallon. That figure was for running on LPG.

This time I have run through a tank of Petrol and done the calculation again. I now know that I get 12.5 to the US gallon. How does that sound? I did a mixture of driving - 80mph on the motorway for about a third of the time, stop start / town driving for a third and the rest was driving between 40-60mph on 30 mile trips.

If 12.5 is 'within range' then maybe I need to look at why LPG is returning such a poor figure.

Cheers, Jim :beer:

Jim,

That is consistant with what I get.............Dan.

I was under the impression that MPG dropped when running on BBQ fuel....... :dunno:

I guess I should feel really good...I get in the range of 15-16mpg unless I'm towing my camper or boat in which case it might go down to about 14.

Tom

For a mix of driving, that is pretty consistant to my figures too. When I was commuting, I got closer to 14. Now that I'm back to 4 miles to work it drops as low as 8 in the winter. At almost $2 a gallon it makes me sad, but not sad enough to drive the wife's ECHO. At 39 MPG and 4K per year we fill the tank on that about every 6 weeks.

15-16 mpg - well, I might get that - but we don't have the long roads to cruise down ..

Dan, you're right. 9 mpg is on BBQ fuel - 12.5 is 'gas' (petrol)

At lease I know that it's running OK on one fuel.

Thanks, Jim :beer:

Pure intown driving - 12mpg, mixed commute driving - 14 mpg. Recent trip all freeway I got close to 18mpg! With scout trailer - flush money down the toilet!!! :p

Jim,
I haven't calculated the MPG for the past 6 months but with corrected speedo, 33" tyres, stock 4.10 gears, OME 50mm, synthetics (exc A/T), recent tune up, 40psi, close to stock weight, pre-HD F&R bumpers, regular unleaded petrol, it got 12.5 MPG consistently in city driving at 6000'. I typically drive like an old grandma according to my wife.

Cruising at 70MPH, no A/C, long hauls, light foot, it will get  16+/- MPG.

Tom,
I have heard the S/C gives about the same MPG as pre-S/C but most people don't see it because it's hard to keep the foot out of it. Are your mileage figures for highway or city?

-B-
'97 FZJ80

All stock, grocery getter (but it does have the lockers), around 14 mpg city (with commute of 8 miles each way interstate and secondary). Interstate driving 16 mpg at 75-80 on my '96 crusher.

Will

Beo: this may seem odd, but I started out very carefully measuring MPG on my cruiser since buying it, partly because of the fear it would be bad, but partly becuase I'm anal retentive about this sort of thing :slap:

My milage is based on a combination of local and highway driving. I'd guess about 75% 25% local to highway. I realize based on the other quotes here that that sounds unreasonably high, but what can I say? It's what I get. I use a Palm Pilot to record all fill-ups and gallons/costs. I'm not just halucinating. Maybe I just got one of those "lucky" trucks?

LandTank: You do have a point about the SC. It's hard to lay off...especially when some a-hole of a SUV (like a V-10 Yuckon) comes alongside and trys to blow you away--it really happend last weekend without any provocation on my part...always fun to leave them in the dust. Hard to resist that much fun.

But knowing that the SC is there also makes me more aware of the fact that the increase in power = (potential) increase in $$$, so I try to behave as best I can. I'm sure the better half doesn't even consider it and just lays into the pedal. :D But no matter how much I try, I can feel the SC kicking in even at realtively modest throttle pressure, and moment to moment, it does feel good to go quicker.

Even with all that, I still get good (?) milage. I don't really see a difference between stock and SC in MPG. But time will tell. I just installed the SC in December, so I've yet to have the joy of pulling a trailer with it--which is why I bought it in the first place (I'm in NJ so Scamping season begins this/next month). I plan to be equally anal about recording MPG with the trailer to see if, as hoped, the SC would improve both power and MPG while (or "whilst" for Jim) towing. I'll let you know later this year.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom,

I have found my "post blower" towing fuel economy to be about 10% better than naturally aspirated. This towing a 3700 lb boat, CGVW about 10,000 lbs +/-

Regards.............Dan :beer:

Rick,

If I decide to start tracking it again I will take note of wind speed and direction relative to travel.

:slap: Thanks for pointing out another variable that I missed.

(Woody, we need the Jester.)

-B-

I get around 12 normally (commuting). I get about 14 on the interstate and 9-10 when towing. I likely drive too fast and could most likely get a little better if I tried. But what fun would that be?? :dunno:

MIke

Greetings Jim -

Both "Elsie" and "Elmer" - 97s as you recall - get about 13mpg in and around town, on average, and I once got 17.9mpg out of Elsie on the open road (tank after tank on the highway for 1000 km +) driving under 60mpg, just to see what a reasonable maximum would be.

Cheers, Ron

PS: No holes as yet... Looking for scrap sheet metal to practice on :D

R -

I finally did the math on last week's cross country - 3578 miles at 15.48 MPG overall - I can live with that! Max use of cruise control, usually set at the speed limit + 5-8. Serious headwinds across Kansas, Colorado and Arizona kept us frequently running with the O/D off, and occasionally as slow as 60. Worst leg was 236 miles at 12.4 mpg. Best was a short downhill leg into Glenwood Springs - 21.3 mpg, but for only 91 miles.

"21.3"

&nbsp:DO NOT OPEN THE HOOD..............TOUCH NOTHING. :bow:

It's not often I laugh out loud when at the pc . Nice one Dan ! :G :D

T

Yeah - I hooted when I punched the numbers too. First guess was "lighter wallet effect" since I had stopped off at Slee's the afternoon before - but I rejected that explanation when I realized the heavy OME boxes in the back caused a net weight increase ;). Got to be the drop from Silverton to Glenwood Springs.

Just got 15 mpg out of a tank plus 16 gallons of very mixed driving. I am pleased. I do not think I am going to mess with anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom