MPG with Steel bumpers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree that 5.7L V8 is not eco friendly.... I am not trying to gripe on gas mileage. I am just uneasy about filling up gas twice a day.

I agree, the only annoyance is the too small tank leading to frequent fill-ups. I don't think you'll ever do worse than 11mpg, as I get when I tow my ~7500lb trailer on my LX with 33's.

Are you aware that the low fuel/range-o-meter is super conservative? With at least 50+ mpg range once the low fuel warning goes off? Perhaps this will help you extend your fill up frequency? Premium fuel will also give you incrementally more range per tank, especially with a bigger tired vehicle always running in the higher load parts of the fuel map.

Another strategy is to carry a fuel can. Not necessarily that you will fill regularly from it. But it will give you a lot more confidence to use more of the gas in the tank, possibly again, eeking out another day between fill-ups.

For the group, here’s my observations.

When I bought my truck with 75,000 miles, bone stock: 19 mpg highway, all day

After a few thousand miles, an ARB bumper, 2” lift, and roof rack went on: 16 mpg highway, no mater which state and climate I was driving in. Bone stock wheels and tires. The loss is from no longer having the super aerodynamic front bumper, roof line, and more air getting under the truck. Thus is why I tell people that gear calculators is not the final say when regearing. We have to also compensate for aerodynamic drag that trucks even 10 years ago did not have as much of to worry about, because it was never there. But a 200, lots of aerodynamic R&D has been implemented.

Add 34” 67 lbs mud terrains, and my camping load with the family, 10.5 mpg highway. 14 city, not trying to fight the wind, because of the whole wind getting caught up in the front end because of a high clearance front bumper.

Added 4.88s to not kill my transmission as it was shifting too much and the torque converter was almost never locked, brought me up to 12-13 mpg highway.

Anyone else build in that order that could share their experience?

Last edited:
Messing with aerodynamics of the LC has me also uneasy. Stock cuts the wind really nice especially in crazy wind storms I like to chase. I do have a small aluminum push bar on front but I don't think it affects drag.

Messing with aerodynamics of the LC has me also uneasy. Stock cuts the wind really nice especially in crazy wind storms I like to chase. I do have a small aluminum push bar on front but I don't think it affects drag.

I wouldn't worry about wind storms due to a bull bar. Heck, look at guys towing huge trailers...or my monster rig and many others' huge cruisers on Mud. You aren't contemplating anything so extreme. Even my hulking truck is amazingly easy to drive with side winds. It stays nicely planted & hardly feels anything when passing big-rigs at highway speeds (you know...where you can suddenly feel "pushed" to the side as you pass the big-rig?). We certainly give away some MPG with any added weight & resistance, but we're talking about the difference between an MPG grade of "D-" to a "D--." :hillbilly:

Last edited:
I wonder if regearing a stock truck with stock tires size to 4.88 would result in better fuel economy.

From this thread and one other there have been comments about improved MPG after re gearing with larger tires.

I wonder if regearing a stock truck with stock tires size to 4.88 would result in better fuel economy.

From this thread and one other there have been comments about improved MPG after re gearing with larger tires.
I don’t think so, the gearing Toyota put in the truck they design is pretty stellar in my opinion. It’s when we change that design that it gets a little off.

If you have a 2008-2015, manually limit your transmission to D5, that’s almost exactly what 4.88s will feel like.

Has anyone taken their front steel bumper Land Cruiser to 125mph for extended periods of time? Does it fight the wind?

Personally, I dont feel comfortable going 90mph on stock suspension but my buddies while driving me take it to 125. I know they are going fast but I have no idea while sleeping in back seat what they are doing. I dont mind as they are excellent drivers and can drive 20 hours straight without taking a break and I sleep peacefully on my 3" mattress in the trunk.

Has anyone taken their front steel bumper Land Cruiser to 125mph for extended periods of time? Does it fight the wind?

Personally, I dont feel comfortable going 90mph on stock suspension but my buddies while driving me take it to 125. I know they are going fast but I have no idea while sleeping in back seat what they are doing. I dont mind as they are excellent drivers and can drive 20 hours straight without taking a break and I sleep peacefully on my 3" mattress in the trunk.

Are you being serious?

Your friends are driving YOUR truck at 125MPH while you are asleep...unbuckled...in the back??
Do they realize that you will become a human MISSILE if they hit something?

That would be the last time they ever drove my truck. ;)

PS. I'm no speed fuddy-duddy, either.
I took my little Subaru WRX to 154 (which was where my speedo hit the pin, and couldn't read any higher...and yes, I had electronically defeated the built-in speed governor). But that was in a low, speedy little racer...NOT a big, boxy SUV. I'd be disinviting those friends...at least as drivers. ;)

Last edited:
This is at night on open roads. I had no idea until today. I assumed they were going 80-90nph. It is hard to judge speed as the vehicle is pretty smooth. Had I known I would have freaked out as I am unable to drive the vehicle 90mph comfortably. I slept like a baby for many hours.

Same friend is trying to convince me to sell my 100 and get an LX570 so he can drive faster.

I have been debating this whether a 100 with ICONs (not installed yet) would be more fun to drive than a 200 LX with AHC. We are supposed to go to dealer soon to test drive the LX for my 7th time. I have always liked the luxurious amenities in the LX but have grown accustomed to feeling the road after AHC went out on my LX470. We have been doing more weekend road trips recently and have considered a sprinter 4x4 RV but we are all drivers and prefer LCs over vans. I have a Ford E350 7.3L TD Luxury van but my drivers hate driving it unless we need to take alot of luggage for tradeshows (diesel fumes can be nauseating on a 8 hour trip).

Can a LC actually do 125 mph? Somehow I highly doubt that, but challenge accepted. ;)

who cares? I just got back from iceland where gas is over $8 a gal. at US prices does it matter whether its 12mpg or 15?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom