MPG with Steel bumpers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My ARB deuxe winch bumper is arriving soon and I am starting to get uneasy about my gas consumption. According to my LC computer I average 13.1 mpg (a little heavy on gas pedal). Currently have a stock suspension with 33" KO2s but will be upgrading to Icon Stage 1 or ARB. I get sick and tired of filling gas almost every other day as I generally get 250 miles before reserve light kicks in. What should I expect my mpg to drop to if I don't do a lift? What about with a lift?

I used to average 15-17 mpg when I had 18s and would fill up close to 300 miles. I am scared of going down to 200 miles until reserve light comes on.

Any input is appreciated. What is the worst mpg people get on here?

No steel bumper, but just for context. I have 34.4" tires (BFG KO 315/70/17) and est'd 3" lift). I get 12.7-12.9 in suburban driving (trip computer, so prob actually 13.2). Was ecstatic on a highway trip when the average hit 15!

:rofl:

Try not to think about fuel mileage; such thoughts just ruin everything. :)

I hate these threads, the Toyota 5.7L V8 is not fuel efficient and any mod that adds weight will make it worse. The only thing you can do to make the fuel stop interval longer is a bigger fuel tank.

I agree that 5.7L V8 is not eco friendly.... I am not trying to gripe on gas mileage. I am just uneasy about filling up gas twice a day.

The only reason MPG bugs me on big Bubba is the RANGE limitation. Gas is incredibly cheap these days—even in ridiculous Kalifornistan.

The only reason MPG bugs me on big Bubba is the RANGE limitation. Gas is incredibly cheap these days—even in ridiculous Kalifornistan.

What MPG are you getting? Your rig is probably alot heavier than mine will be.

Reckless- i had 33” KO2, lift with ARB bar, sliders and average roughly 11mpg around town...lots of stop and go. On the freeway 70-75mph ind average 14mpg and i could hit 15mpg using cruise control at 70mph and did calibrate my tire info. in settings. I think the bar adds 130lbs, so it won’t change your mpg that much to make a difference

Angelo thanks! Are you an aggressive driver?

Angelo thanks! Are you an aggressive driver?

I don’t drive like an old lady but as I’ve finally reached my 40’s:santa: I have slowed down a bit but I still drive like I have somewhere to go:steer:

I don’t drive like an old lady but as I’ve finally reached my 40’s:santa: I have slowed down a bit but I still drive like I have somewhere to go:steer:

So if you are in town, does your reserve light kick in at 160 miles?

Lol, no. Not until I hit 220 on average which means i have another 60-80mi before it’s bone dry. I can get about 300 miles out of my tank with a gallon to spare

What MPG are you getting? Your rig is probably alot heavier than mine will be.

Hard to say exact MPG with tires so much larger than stock. Fools the odometer, etc. and I've been too lazy to fiddle with the numbers.

But ya, my rig is WAAAAAY heavier, no doubt. I keep it in bug-out condition--meaning I could drive it and disappear at any time and have fuel, food, water & etc.

On highway only, it can report 13-14 (which means better than that), but around town with short runs on local freeways? -Maybe 10 or so is reported. I still haven't gotten around to WEIGHING my "unladen" rig ("unladen," for me, means FULL, HEAVY drawers with tons of tools, extra water, two monster bumpers, 12k winch, dual batteries, a heavy 35x12.5 spare, 12 gallons of fuel and LOTS more. "Unladen" as compared to fully packed for a major trip). Even unladen, I'm probably closer to 8000lbs than to 7k lbs. So frankly, I think it does pretty well, considering I have yet to re-gear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom