MPG/Alignment/CV joint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve always had an OEM-only attitude. Others may feel differently. I’m not the most knowledgeable at all about cars, but oem was always the advice I got from my dad.

This post has some good discussion about the cv axles. It looks like you can go with oem Toyota versions (I think from the FJ) instead of paying the lexus premium, and they’ll fit great. Dan suggests oem (the Toyota ones) instead of aftermarket in there, and, from what I’ve gathered, he’s one of the most knowledgeable folks on here.

curious to see what other folks say. There’s a wealth of knowledge and opinions on this board, and it’s really informative.

[UPDATE] sorry if this gets lost still trying to figure out this forum

Today I put in my OBD 2 reader for kicks and giggles. When put in I was surprised to see the P0420 and P0430 code on the reader. What is extremely weird about this is, I have no check engine lights, and now I'm teetering 15 MPG. I am at a loss because the truck feels fine (admittedly slight sluggish) and I have no codes on the dash. I am scratching my head even more at this point.

TaylortWilliams. I have a buddy who works at Auto Technologies, 1608 Crabb River Road and he is a great mechanic and will tell you what is what. This is the guy who did most of the work on my truck.
281-545-8000 and ask for Curt, tell him Bruce gave you the number. they are open Monday - Sat.

[UPDATE] sorry if this gets lost still trying to figure out this forum

Today I put in my OBD 2 reader for kicks and giggles. When put in I was surprised to see the P0420 and P0430 code on the reader. What is extremely weird about this is, I have no check engine lights, and now I'm teetering 15 MPG. I am at a loss because the truck feels fine (admittedly slight sluggish) and I have no codes on the dash. I am scratching my head even more at this point.
my old ODB 2 reader, can't remember ultra gauge I think... would tell me pending codes, like the numbers were high and borderline out of perimeters... I got a code for a misfire in cyl 6 on my 80... but no light. then one day I stomped on it to pass and the CEL came on... and it was the same code.

I'd definitely look into them, esp if you have other indicators like MPG dropping

Been running premium from shell for the last 3 tanks to make sure it wasn’t the crummy Kroger gas hurting my mpg.

highway driving from Atlanta to Athens is 70 miles, and that gets me just below 3/4 of a tank from full. Apparently this car is supposed to get around 400 miles of highway driving from a full tank, or 100 per quarter tank.

Your 2004 doesn't have variable valve timing and, therefore, cannot make use of premium fuel. Kroger partners with Shell for many of its stations so I doubt they're selling you crummy gas. Try running the 87-octane your engine was designed to run on and see where your mileage goes from there.

Your 2004 doesn't have variable valve timing and, therefore, cannot make use of premium fuel. Kroger partners with Shell for many of its stations so I doubt they're selling you crummy gas. Try running the 87-octane your engine was designed to run on and see where your mileage goes from there.

While it does not have VVTi, the owner’s manual does recommend premium. It’s only been 3 tanks of premium to see if it helped with mileage at all. Prior to that I always used regular. I cleaned the mass airflow sensor and throttle body this weekend. Checked the air filter and looks brand new.

The car runs great and isn’t throwing any codes. I’m not super concerned about the low MPG, but it would be nice to figure out why they’re so low compared others.

If its an 04 you can put in regular. Premium isn't going to give you any extra performance since the engine isn't designed to use it. 05+ have VVTi and require premium

I went to a shop today. They told me that my cats are fine and there is no indication of bad cats. Just change the 02 sensors then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom