Mounting iPhone + Mini iPad + InReach (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What size bolt are you using for that, I just receive this in the mail today but found out the bolt is quit big compared to stock.
Amazon product ASIN B005J43I56

You’ll need M6 bolts to use the OEM threads. But you’ll also need spacers and some washers to make sure it still does it’s job of holding the handle in place.

The length of the bolt you use will depend on how many attachments, and how far you want the first RAM mount to attach (you need a bit of room so the RAM links aren’t smashing into the pillar).

Don’t go nuts on tightening force...

12.9 incher too!! Nice. Quick tip, add a strip on magnetic tape on the segment that pops up over the speaker grill To get it to flatten out. I just upgraded mine to an 11” Pro...

D088D8C4-8FEC-4C97-AEA2-5AD8D5F870BC.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t think this will work for your 2013, but might help someone with a 2016+. These fit perfectly on each side of the infotainment screen, and hold a tablet or phones very securely.
View attachment 2519969

That looks very clean! Are those mangetic strips attached to the dash with adhesive? Do you have to apply those magnetic stickers to your ipad? What is the bar and ball on top of your dash?

That looks very clean! Are those mangetic strips attached to the dash with adhesive? Do you have to apply those magnetic stickers to your ipad? What is the bar and ball on top of your dash?
Yes, they attach with 3M VHB tape. It's not perfect, but pretty unobtrusive. I don't have a better pic right now, but this gives an idea
IMG_6096.jpeg

The rail is a RAM track with ball (got that idea from OregonLC here)

I use the magnetic sticker on the outside of my phone case (wireless charging still works but might be slower), but my iPad sticks OK without them.

Yes, they attach with 3M VHB tape. It's not perfect, but pretty unobtrusive. I don't have a better pic right now, but this gives an idea
View attachment 2520016
The rail is a RAM track with ball (got that idea from OregonLC here)!

I use the magnetic sticker on the outside of my phone case (wireless charging still works but might be slower), but my iPad sticks OK without them.

That helps a ton. Thank you!

Anyone tried one of those DVD-slot tablet holders?

Here’s how I mount several items, all without sticking on or drilling into anything. You could substitute my HAM control screen with a phone or other item, etc. All RAM mount balls.

Utilizes bolt threads on handle:

View attachment 2519646

View attachment 2519647

Best part is it doesn’t obstruct driver view...and can be mounted or removed while in or out of the vehicle.
Also puts each item within finger reach while still holding onto/stabilized by steering wheel. On bumpy trails, this can help a ton for quick adjustments.

Looking to do this as well but will probably replace the radio with a switch panel for lights, etc.. Thanks for the ideas.

Would you be able to take a picture from the backside to see how all the Ram mount parts attach to each other?

PS....don't forget to change your oil! ;)

Last edited:
12.9 incher too!! Nice. Quick tip, add a strip on magnetic tape on the segment that pops up over the speaker grill To get it to flatten out. I just upgraded mine to an 11” Pro...

View attachment 2519952
I love this idea, but I can’t imagine this would stay put it any sort of off-road driving. What’s your experience been?

So far no issues!

So far no issues!
Same here. Took it out a few weeks ago and stayed put the whole time through some relatively technical terrain.

View attachment 2519952
I tried this in my LX but the grill on the dash is too far toward so there’s not enough grill for the magnetic part of the case to hang on to :-(

Still trying to figure out a way to avoid a suction cup arm on the windshield but I’m losing faith.

I tried this in my LX but the grill on the dash is too far toward so there’s not enough grill for the magnetic part of the case to hang on to :-(

Still trying to figure out a way to avoid a suction cup arm on the windshield but I’m losing faith.
Try using magnetic tape on the part of the case that goes over the grill

Just FYI, here's a quick and dirty video of my iPad attached using a magnetic case. Yes, it will flop around a bit while driving but if I hit something hard enough to knock it off, the iPad is probably the least of my worries.

Just FYI, here's a quick and dirty video of my iPad attached using a magnetic case. Yes, it will flop around a bit while driving but if I hit something hard enough to knock it off, the iPad is probably the least of my worries.
Ah, you have an LX too, interesting. I got the iPad Air, it’s 10.9”, I wonder how much the smaller size affects the ability for it to hang on.

Ah, you have an LX too, interesting. I got the iPad Air, it’s 10.9”, I wonder how much the smaller size affects the ability for it to hang on.
I have the 11" iPad Pro so, essentially the same size. However, the case I have includes a spot to hold the Pencil on the side so it does make the case about 1/2 inch wider altogether. I wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference but it might.

Here’s how I mount several items, all without sticking on or drilling into anything. You could substitute my HAM control screen with a phone or other item, etc. All RAM mount balls.

Utilizes bolt threads on handle:

View attachment 2519646

View attachment 2519647

Best part is it doesn’t obstruct driver view...and can be mounted or removed while in or out of the vehicle.
Also puts each item within finger reach while still holding onto/stabilized by steering wheel. On bumpy trails, this can help a ton for quick adjustments.
Do you recall the length of your M6 cap screw? @Markuson

Doing this mod when my 2021 comes in, after I remove the third row seats and seatbelts.

Many thanks in advance.

Do you recall the length of your M6 cap screw? @Markuson

Doing this mod when my 2021 comes in, after I remove the third row seats and seatbelts.

Many thanks in advance.
I've done the same kind of attachment. I don't remember the length but if you purchase multiple from Lowes, they are usually very good about returns. That is what I typically do with almost any project anyway, whether it's home improvement or auto-related. I'd rather have more sizes and stuff in general on hand and return it rather than be mid-project and have to run to the store and HOPE I get what I need on the second trip.

I use Velcro in my LX since the magnet cover doesn’t reach the speaker. It’s obviously not going anywhere on rough trails with the Velcro either. I do plan on upgrading to the cellular version, my WiFi only tablet can’t keep up with nav when tethered to my phone. Plus, the white border annoys me.
890543A5-D413-4123-9FD9-731EE9164B70.jpeg
FAB0BBC8-2F4D-49E1-A181-35833488D844.jpeg

I use Velcro in my LX since the magnet cover doesn’t reach the speaker. It’s obviously not going anywhere on rough trails with the Velcro either. I do plan on upgrading to the cellular version, my WiFi only tablet can’t keep up with nav when tethered to my phone. Plus, the white border annoys me.
View attachment 2644360View attachment 2644362
Nice. I tend toward being concerned with sticking adhesive on the dash, but I’m guessing the velcro adhesive is pretty mild? Any issues with it peeling up or anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom