Mounting a kayak on factory cross bars (shark fin problem?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to pick up a fishing kayak for the summer but before I do I want to make sure I can mount it on my 2021 HE's roof by myself. I took the factory Yakima rack off and noticed that the factory crossbars appear to sit flush (if not below) the height of the shark fin antenna).

I had planned to load the kayak from the rear but the more I think about it the more I'm worried about (i) putting weight on the small rear spoiler, and (ii) putting weight on the shark fin antenna. A side mount appears to be possible but I'm still worried that the kayak's bottom will ride on the shark fin antenna.

Anyone mount a kayak on the factory cross bars? I'd prefer not to have to go out and get new cross bars (I really only plan on mounting a kayak on the roof) but if I need to I will.

I'm looking to pick up a fishing kayak for the summer but before I do I want to make sure I can mount it on my 2021 HE's roof by myself. I took the factory Yakima rack off and noticed that the factory crossbars appear to sit flush (if not below) the height of the shark fin antenna).

I had planned to load the kayak from the rear but the more I think about it the more I'm worried about (i) putting weight on the small rear spoiler, and (ii) putting weight on the shark fin antenna. A side mount appears to be possible but I'm still worried that the kayak's bottom will ride on the shark fin antenna.

Anyone mount a kayak on the factory cross bars? I'd prefer not to have to go out and get new cross bars (I really only plan on mounting a kayak on the roof) but if I need to I will.

There’s room for two kayaks up there with fin in between.
With OEM roof rack, I personally think the best mounts are the simple foam pieces that have slots for crossbars, and a havre a slight V to them. Usually about $30 a pair.

I don’t have the fin, but here’s a photo of my two kayaks on my OEM rack. You can see here that there would be space for the fin if you just choose a side for your single kayak, or two like this:

F65936E4-FD19-403C-AEEE-A79765A0EDC5.jpeg

REI and other outdoor sporting goods stores carry these. They work a charm and stay very secure with kayaks strapped down…
These:
3DC52066-1B3F-414C-BAB4-2ECDF62A6BB2.jpeg

Last edited:
There’s room for two kayaks of there with fin in between.
With OEM roof rack, I personally think the best mounts are the simple foam pieces that have slots for crossbars, and a havre a slight V to them. Usually about $30 a pair.

I don’t have the fin, but here’s a photo of my two kayaks on my OEM rack. You can see here that there would be space for the fin if you just choose a side for your single kayak, or two like this:

View attachment 2671037

REI and other outdoor sporting goods stores carry these. They work a charm and stay very secure with kayaks are strapped down…
These:
View attachment 2671038

This looks like a much better option - cheaper to. Do you load from the rear and if so do you have any issues with the spoiler? I found a suction cup device with rollers that attaches to the rear window that I think may help me clear the spoiler.

This looks like a much better option - cheaper to. Do you load from the rear and if so do you have any issues with the spoiler? I found a suction cup device with rollers that attaches to the rear window that I think may help me clear the spoiler.

I just put a big towel over the spoiler before sliding kayaks on or off. Super easy and quick. Highly recommend. I have a couple fancier Thule kayak mounts, but I like the simple foam things way better.

I just put a big towel over the spoiler before sliding kayaks on or off. Super easy and quick. Highly recommend. I have a couple fancier Thule kayak mounts, but I like the simple foam things way better.
I think I’m going to give this a try. I can’t imagine the spoiler would be damaged by the weight and putting a couple of blankets under it will prevent scratches.

I’ve put a single kayak flat on the factory rack and it worked fine. Ours doesn’t hit the window spoiler or the xm antenna, but we can’t open the rear hatch when it is on there. Without a rack, we flip the kayak upside down.

Those foam blocks are handy too.

We also have some upright holders for when we want to fit a few Kayaks in the roof, or a roof box and a kayak. They have mounts that accommodate the factory crossbars.

I’ve used a lot of different things to tie boats to the roof, but am currently using 12’ Nite Ize Camjam straps and I like them. Thule makes some simpler straps. Both have padding that prevents the buckle from damaging your boat. The Nite Ize buckle system is easy to use too, and seems more secure. They are more readily available than the Thule ones too - I got mine at a small local hardware store.

Last edited:
I lug around 2 16' fiberglass sea kayaks. When I had the factory roof rack I just wrapped the cross members with cheap foam pool noodles. Those floaty things. Cut a straight line down the side with a razor. They wrap right around the cross members. A zip tie or two will keep them on if there is no boat lashed down. Never had a problem with the fin but with the length you can't open the back when they are on the top. A couple of Thule straps and a towel to protect the gel coat. Super cheap super simple. Loaded on and off from the sides, one person task. Never any damage.

I still use the noodles with the full roof rack and now can open the back 90%. Parking garages and drive thru's are not possible. The split noodles are good for padding anything.

I just toss our white water kayaks on top from the side. I do not worry about wrapping the rack. The one tip I will suggest is set the straps where you want them before putting the boats on top. Also drop the tail gate and put the hatch down. Gives you a step.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom