Motor Mount Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This looks like a huge job. Has anyone else had motor mount clunking and has had to replace the motor mounts? From reading FSM, it seems I have to remove the engine and transmission quite a ways out to access. Anything worth noting or also completing while engine is out? Picture for attention of my 2008 with XV2 in Death Valley 2021

IMG_0261.jpeg

Not quite a how-to but apparently shortcuts are possible?

Definite short cuts...I did the 3 on :princess:'s '01 LX in about an hour and a half. You'll need a small jack. I did it with the trunk on 10" ramps. Remove the under-truck sheet metal to get access to the 3 mounts.

I started by removing the rear mount and lifting the tail shaft enough to slide the mount. I then replaced the rear mount but threaded in the fasteners just enough for a thread or 3 to hold them in place.

I removed all fastener on the front mount, lifted the engine up enough to get clearance for removal...left side and then right side. I lowered the engine, tightened all fasteners, replaced the under-truck sheet metal, and that was it.
So your describing a 100 series procedure?

Is there a specific mount more likely to fail, rather than all? That might hopefully simplify the install?

On other vehicles I've had experience with, it's usually the mount under tension (with torque) that gives up first. IIRC, that would be the driver side mount. Possible the rear mount also gets some serious load. Hopefully those might be the easier ones to replace?

I wonder if my heavy towing in the mountains is more stress enough to accelerate wear. I use engine braking, often as low as second gear on the really steep stuff to hold back almost 15k of rig. That will cause both mounts to experience tension. I haven't noticed anything that would warrant it yet at 130k miles, but I guess something for me to watch.

Just got this video back of my engine mount from my tech who was doing some other work on my truck. 2008 with 135k miles, kinda surprised to see this with the mileage/life that my truck has lived. I do tow, but it's like a Turtleback style trailer, so nothing very heavy. I def use engine braking in low range, but again wouldn't expect this to fail so early. The tech said as far as he can tell it's just the drivers side. His recommendation is to replace the 2 front mounts, but not to mess with the trans rear mount. Obviously it's a pain ($$$) with the labor bill, so I asked if anything else should be taken care of while the engine is jacked up. He said nothing he'd recommend. Thoughts? I'm thinking of going for it in the next few weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom