Most Common Nut/Bolts for the 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I'm trying to put together a nuts and bolts kit for my LX450 to keep in my rig. I was hoping someone out there would have a list of sizes. I know there is a lot just hunting for someone to keep me going when something breaks lol. The dealership is way too high to just order that many bolts or nuts. Any ideas would be great

I found the best thing is to go to a pic and pull and gather up bolts. Find an old 80 and get lots of spares.

As above, a salvage yard is a great place for Toyota bolts. However, you probably wont find any 80 AND most Toyotas seem to use a 10mm head where we would have a 12mm (and 12 for 14mm). We are overbuilt. Nevertheless, you will come away with a lot of very high quality Toyota bolts.

There are also bolt kits that people have developed for sale. Search is your friend.

Reactions: RFB
As above, a salvage yard is a great place for Toyota bolts. However, you probably wont find any 80 AND most Toyotas seem to use a 10mm head where we would have a 12mm (and 12 for 14mm). We are overbuilt. Nevertheless, you will come away with a lot of very high quality Toyota bolts.

There are also bolt kits that people have developed for sale. Search is your friend.
Yes there are kits on here but none for the 80's just for the 40/50. I use search.

Correct. No kit. Each piece of hardware is location and duty specific. So, best to do as recommended above: go to your local junkyard with a bucket and find a Toyota vehicle and just start taking hardware off of it.

Or, visit your local Toyota dealer and get the correct hardware for whatever you are working on .

Correct. No kit. Each piece of hardware is location and duty specific. So, best to do as recommended above: go to your local junkyard with a bucket and find a Toyota vehicle and just start taking hardware off of it.

Or, visit your local Toyota dealer and get the correct hardware for whatever you are working on .
Yea hard to find yotas around here in a yard. I have a great nuts and bolt place here that's all they sale. Just looking for stuff that would give me a good chance to get out of a jamb on the trail. so just sizes and pitch for popular ones. I will keep looking. Thank you for the help guys.

If the yard is lacking Toyotas, just pilfer them from most any Japanese car. I have buckets of Suzuki/Honda/Subaru hardware, and don't think the Toyota even notices :steer:

I carry a handful of JIS hardware, but also some that are mission critical. Spare front brake caliper bolts, in a pinch they can be harvested from other places, like the tow hooks. Driveshaft nuts/bolts, they are unique and differ front to rear, I carry 2 nut/bolt/washer combos for each. Knuckle/arm studs, carry 2 full setups, studs, nuts, washer and cone washer. Also a couple of IIRC, m12 x 1.50 bolts ~40mm long, this size does not exist on the rig, so cant steal them in the field. These can be threaded into the knuckle, as a last ditch, hail mary, hold the arm in place to get it off of the trail.

Most have been harvested from pick&pull, etc, but if you don't have that option... The driveshaft and knuckle stuff can be had from Cruiser Outfitters local stealer, etc.

I carry a handful of JIS hardware, but also some that are mission critical. Spare front brake caliper bolts, in a pinch they can be harvested from other places, like the tow hooks. Driveshaft nuts/bolts, they are unique and differ front to rear, I carry 2 nut/bolt/washer combos for each. Knuckle/arm studs, carry 2 full setups, studs, nuts, washer and cone washer. Also a couple of IIRC, m12 x 1.50 bolts ~40mm long, this size does not exist on the rig, so cant steal them in the field. These can be threaded into the knuckle, as a last ditch, hail mary, hold the arm in place to get it off of the trail.

Most have been harvested from pick&pull, etc, but if you don't have that option... The driveshaft and knuckle stuff can be had from Cruiser Outfitters local stealer, etc.
Great info! I'm on it!

Huh? Incorrect for the most part.

6mm bolt, 10mm head. 8mm bolt, 12mm head. 10mm bolt, 14mm head... This is a pretty common JIS standard which the 80 also uses in almost all of its fasteners, except for unique locations.

What I mean is: in places where the 80 has a 12mm bolt, you will most commonly find a 10mm on most other Toyotas. (Not that we have larger head sizes for the same thread and pitch).

This is just my observations after ripping through various Toyotas in junkyards recently. I would guess that the 40 and 60 have similar bolts in similar locations to our 80's. I did not find that true for newer vehicles. Don't know about the 100.

What I mean is: in places where the 80 has a 12mm bolt, you will most commonly find a 10mm on most other Toyotas. (Not that we have larger head sizes for the same thread and pitch).

This is just my observations after ripping through various Toyotas in junkyards recently. I would guess that the 40 and 60 have similar bolts in similar locations to our 80's. I did not find that true for newer vehicles. Don't know about the 100.
ok that's good to know. I knew the JIS is the was to go but just for in a pinch it can be different size heads

ok that's good to know. I knew the JIS is the was to go but just for in a pinch it can be different size heads

I try to keep everything on the rig and spares JIS. Mainly because my tool kit is optimized for the rig, so don't carry, 11, 13, 15, 16, 18mm, etc, tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom