More Transfer Case Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All. I Just Replaced My Seal And Gaskets On My Transfer Case. Put Everything Back As It Should, Seems Ok. I Have Not Put The Drive Shafts Back On Yet. The Question Is When I Spin The Yoke Both The Front And Rear Yoke Spin Together With The Transfer Case In Neutral, Which I'm Pretty Sure Is Correct, However When I Put The Transmission In Gear They Still Move. Is There Something Wrong Here?

The Question Is When I Spin The Yoke Both The Front And Rear Yoke Spin Together With The Transfer Case In Neutral, Which I'm Pretty Sure Is Correct, However When I Put The Transmission In Gear They Still Move. Is There Something Wrong Here?

Sounds right to me, if you have the transfer in neutral it should be "disengaged" from the transmission so it wouldn't matter if you had it in gear or not.

If the transfer case output shafts spin with the tranny in gear and the t/c in 4wd then something is wrong (with no driveshafts in place). The front should spin freely in 2wd.

I am no expert but someone will chime in if I am steering you wrong here.

The Question Is When I Spin The Yoke Both The Front And Rear Yoke Spin Together With The Transfer Case In Neutral,

The front output can be engaged or disengaged. It has nothing to do with L-N-H. You are describing the front engaged. If you don't think it should be, you need to figure out why it is.

What year? What type of shifters?

Put the transmission in gear and the transfer case in high or low range and come back and tell us what is going on......

It sounds like your shift fork is not installed correctly. The companion flanges should spin independently if the transfercase is in nuetral. If the transfercase is in 2wd then only the rear CF should spin and the front CP will not move. If the transfercase is in 4wd then the both front and rear CP should spin at the same speed. If you split the case in half you probably did not get the shift fork in the correct position. Post up some more detail of what you did and what you took apart.

Dylan

From a previous post by this member:

I'm in the process of replacing the seals and gaskets on my 3spd transfer case. .

He has a one piece case....

:beer:

Well Its A 71' With A Vacuum Shift. The Transfer Case Is A 3 Speed. Right Now The Transfer Case Is In Neautral And Both Yokes Spin Together. When I Put It In 4wd High Or Low Neither Moves Freely. This I Felt Was Correct Because I Have Engaged The Transfer Case In 4wd. I'm Wondering Why I Can Still Spin The Yokes With The Transfer Case In Neutral And The Transmission In Gear.

Ok Poser I Did What You Said, With The Transfer Case In Low Or High And The Transmission In Gear Neither Yoke Moves Freely.

Ok.

1phrogguy nailed it.

Sounds normal to me.

Your front drive is engaged, that is why the front output turns when the rear out put is rotated.

Now just shift it into two-wheel drive and make sure that the front output is not turning with the rear. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom