Mobile tool storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What kind of tool box are you guys using? I'm currently looking at a box from Sortimo. They look like a perfect storage for small parts

When you say mobile do you mean vehicle-based or mobile as in able to be easily moved around the shop?

What kind of tool box are you guys using? I'm currently looking at a box from Sortimo. They look like a perfect storage for small parts
If you dont mind crazy expensive, Festool make some really great organizers call "Systainers" (Well in your case "Sortainers", completely modular, very strong, well made and come in many sizes.

Systainers - Accessories

For the off road rig I like the cheap HF cloth tool bags. They hold a lot, many of the tools are visible for easy retrieval, they can be stuffed into many areas that a conventional box won't fit, and they ride with no rattling noise. I use 2 or 3, one for tools, one for fluids, rags and hand cleaner and one for repair parts (nuts, bolts, electrical wire, duct tape, etc.) Low cool factor-high functional factor. (They can be used for first aid kit, kitchen utensil storage, ammo holder)

For the off road rig I like the cheap HF cloth tool bags. They hold a lot, many of the tools are visible for easy retrieval, they can be stuffed into many areas that a conventional box won't fit, and they ride with no rattling noise. I use 2 or 3, one for tools, one for fluids, rags and hand cleaner and one for repair parts (nuts, bolts, electrical wire, duct tape, etc.) Low cool factor-high functional factor. (They can be used for first aid kit, kitchen utensil storage, ammo holder)

Same here. I use a hf bag for each set of my snow chains, as well. I have about 2 years of use on my tool bag and it has a few holes now...but it's still hard to beat for less than 10 bucks each.

Personally I use the Makita padded bags that come with my tools, they work great but sincerely I'm afraid somebody is going to break into the truck to take my "tools"

Con-Ferr locking box inside the 40, and a G.I. surplus tool bag for hand tools, also kept inside the Con-Ferr box.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Vehicle-based, Sortimo probably has the best solution because you can secure these boxes in their van equipment. Or can I do this with any others? I would like to find my tools quickly and easily and also keep the floor in my van as clean as possbile...

Thanks everyone! Vehicle-based, Sortimo probably has the best solution because you can secure these boxes in their van equipment. Or can I do this with any others? I would like to find my tools quickly and easily and also keep the floor in my van as clean as possbile...
Just for fun..
EX37-IvecoDaily4x4_i08-560-M.jpg

EX37-IvecoDaily4x4_i07-560-M.jpg

UL15AS_6-560-S.jpg

I study and contemplate Sortimo but sincerely the importer or somebody is making a silly mark up on them, I guess is not a good idea to know how much something cost to get made but when the profit passes the 3000%-5000% and even higher number (Mind you Injection molding, not Japanese carpentry) I just drop the towel.

I have a bunch of festool boxes and sincerely they are not that well made for what they charge you..

Pelicans are amazing, but much to heavy, unless you need bomb proof and somebody else is paying for them..

In my case I end up with a bunch of Dewall boxes from the home depot ($15 a piece for the large ones) on sale they go for about 60% of the price) and so far the two issues I had they just hand me a new one, no questions ask..

Shame Akrobins, don't have a line of "Organizer" portable boxes, their prices are more than fair (made is AKRON Ohio) and the quality and design is of the freaking roof..
IMG_2486-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Adventure Tool Company tool roll.

Home - Adventure Tool Company

And they have been a MUD supporter in the past. (Not sure of current staus)
I guess he never specified how much and the type of gear and tools he needs to transport and the Vehicle even if is kind of a given is a LC..

Actually A friend of mine just got one of this for his Tacoma and I have to say i was really impressed, very well design and crafted are ridiculously strong total contractor quality (Two BMW GS's (630-650 pounds each) on top of the thing, and the sliders work just fine (I want to see that done with plywood)

Last edited:
Con-Ferr locking box inside the 40, and a G.I. surplus tool bag for hand tools, also kept inside the Con-Ferr box.

I really wish those guys were still in business. I have a wish list of things that I would buy from them....

Got fed up of all the sockets falling out of my full Husky set (it's sole purpose is to live in my Cruiser) every time I opened it, and got fed up with digging around in my tool bag which had gotten pretty full, so I dumped both of them in one of these Ridgid 22" Organizers I've been eyeballing at Home Deoit for awhile now. It's a mess right now as I just dumped all the tools on but I ordered a foam insert from Kaisen foam inserts for tool boxes and other cases and I'm going to shadow it out. I don't expect my hammer and pickle fork to fit, but I'm thinking about a second box for things other then hand tools, duct tape, drill bits, etc.

Plan is to transfer everything from my Action Packer boxes into these eventually.

image.jpeg

Same here. I use a hf bag for each set of my snow chains, as well. I have about 2 years of use on my tool bag and it has a few holes now...but it's still hard to beat for less than 10 bucks each.

I have gone with tool bags as well. I found some Cabela's bags a couple years ago for $10 that have held up really well.

Their "Catch-All Gear Bag" and their slightly smaller "Tackle Utility Bag with Boxes." The boxes are nice for small parts and are just rebranded Plano boxes (not waterproof). I have repurposed a couple of the boxes for use in my first aid kit to sort some individually packed meds and smaller items.

I just wish they had more color options. I have begun to get things in red/orange/yellow just for visibility/contrast. It can be hard to find the black tool you want inside a black bag.

combo of home depot cheapo tool box, ammo can and a net organizer that I took out of a used car and hang that from the grab handles inside

I've been looking for a water-resistant portable tool box system I can secure (latch down) in my truck and boat. There seem to be a lot of modular tool cases out now, boxes that clamp together and can attach to carts and racks. I'm looking mostly at Dewalt, Ridgid, and Bosch. Dewalt has two levels of similar systems: ToughSystem and TSTAK. They all have rubber seals, and the units clamp to each other to form a bigger unit. All but Ridgid have a variety of units including clear-top organizers, drawer units, wheeled and stationary racks.

I'm kind of leaning toward several Dewalt Toughsystem organizer boxes with clear tops. Using several small boxes will automatically organize my tools somewhat, clear tops will make it easy to find tools without opening boxes. I'll need some really secure socket holders, and I'm thinking big carabiners to hold my combination wrench sets together. These organizer boxes come with square cups to organize things, but they are loose and don't seem useful if you don't have them all in there. I'd ditch those for a couple boxes, keep them in one box for small parts.

I'm thinking I would secure a bigger box to the floor or wall, use it for spare parts and materials. Then clamp the other boxes on top to carry hand tools, electrical and plumbing tools, etc. You can actually access individual boxes without unclamping the stack, just have to lift the upper boxes with the lid of the box you are accessing. Being able to carry my tools in smaller, more manageable boxes would be a plus on a boat.

These clear boxes don't have top handles, but that doesn't seem like a problem. Clear toolboxes just seem like a huge help for finding tools quickly. I have big drawer boxes at home and the shop, I never seem to remember where every tool is. I'm especially stupid for not setting them up the same at home and work, they are identical boxes, but different tools for home and work.

shopping

ToughSystem® | Tool Storage System | DEWALT

TSTAK® | Stackable Tool Box Organizers | DEWALT

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/tool-and-accessory-storage-23539-c/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom