Mobil 7500 and oil weights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was trying to purchase oil for my next change due in a couple thousand miles, and it looks like the Mobil 7500 synthetic blend, only goes up to 30 weight. Do you all think this is to light to run in the summer time? I don't normally do much towing, but you never know.

Thanks,
Rookie2

If you are not having any consumption issues with the 30Wt. I would think it would be fine. I have now used Mobil 1 10W-30, Castrol 10W-30, Mobil 1 Truck and SUV, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40, and Delo 15W-40. The Delo is definatly helping with my consumption as I am still driving mostly around town and have only used 1/2 quart in 2300 miles or so. I would have used a quart and a half of the others by now. My gas mileage seems to be better with the Delo which does not seem right. It is so hot here in FL now (mid 90s) that the heaver oil seems to be the way to go. How hot is it in your area?

Thanks

Andrew

Little more info.: I'm not currently using 30 weight. My last oil change I used Mobil Drive Clean Plus High Mileage in 10W-40. It was my understanding that the drive clean products were replaced (or probably just rebadged) by the new Mobil 5000, Mobil 5000 high mileage and Mobil 7500. I was thinking about stepping up to the Mobil 7500, but they don't show it in 40 weight.

RT, Cary??

Thanks,
Rookie2

i run synthetic 5w-30 here in miami,fl

Rookie2
What are your feelings on the Mobil Drive Clean Plus High Mileage (10w-40) oil. I bought a case, but haven't done the oil change yet. I'm still considering bringing back the drive clean if I can find M1 0w-40.

Cheers.

njfzj80 said:
Rookie2
What are your feelings on the Mobil Drive Clean Plus High Mileage (10w-40) oil. I bought a case, but haven't done the oil change yet. I'm still considering bringing back the drive clean if I can find M1 0w-40.

Cheers.

So far (after about 3k) I'm very happy with it in regards to oil pressure and fuel mileage. I need to check and see how things are going on the comsumption end of the equation. I've been used to having to add about a quart around this time with the oil I used before (Chevron Delo 15w-40). The Delo ran at a little higher oil pressure (about two needs above the 2/3 line) whereas the Mobil runs right at the 2/3 line. In discussions here, the drive clean plus was a very good mineral oil containing some of advantages of synthetic at a mineral oil price. I'm just not sure what the comperable version is under the new labeling (whether that be equivalent to the Mobil 5000 or the Mobil 7500 synthetic blend).

:beer:
Rookie2

Mobil Drive Clean = Mobil 5000
Mobil Drive Clean Plus = Mobil 7500

The 30 weight won't harm anything, but the engine does seem to prefer a 40 weight oil. Why not use the Chevron Delo 15w-40, it is cheaper and likely a better oil than both?

If you can only find 30 weight, you can throw in 1-2 quarts of 15w-50 or 20w-50 to thicken it up a bit.

How about the new 15K stuff from Mobal 1? that is what I have been using in the bimmers and it seems very nice and smooth. I can notice a difference in how quiet the engine is with it over the 15K BMW castol syn. I am sure some of you have some specific ideas on this however. :beer:

cary said:
Mobil Drive Clean = Mobil 5000
Mobil Drive Clean Plus = Mobil 7500

The 30 weight won't harm anything, but the engine does seem to prefer a 40 weight oil. Why not use the Chevron Delo 15w-40, it is cheaper and likely a better oil than both?

If you can only find 30 weight, you can throw in 1-2 quarts of 15w-50 or 20w-50 to thicken it up a bit.

Well, I've got no major complaints with the Delo, but I was thinking the 15w may be a little heavy for the winter months, had a little higher oil pressure (probably not a problem, but thought over time may be a little harder on the engine), the high mileage Mobil oil might help with the small consumption I've had between oil changes (I know... some comsumption is not necessarily a bad thing) and by having some synthetic qualities I "thought" may be a slightly better oil than Delo for about the same price.

By looking at Mobil's site, it doesn't appear they make the same thing as I used this last time around (Mobil Drive Clean Plus, High mileage in 10W 40). They just show the 7500 up to 30 weight, and no high mileage version.

So if I were going to mix the weights, I assume I would need to be mixing the same brand and type oil? I don't believe neither the Delo or Mobil oil discussed make a 50 weight.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Rookie2

When I switched from Penzoil to Mobil 5000 (in my Lincoln Town Car) I got considerably less consumption. For the FJZ80 I'm still undecided between Mobil 5000 and Mobil 1. I'm watching the threads.

Rookie2 said:
I was thinking the 15w may be a little heavy for the winter months, had a little higher oil pressure (probably not a problem, but thought over time may be a little harder on the engine),
Rookie2

Maybe Mobil 1 Truck and SUV in 5w-40 or Rotella T Semi-synthetic in 5w-40 is what you are looking for.

Rookie2 said:
Well, I've got no major complaints with the Delo, but I was thinking the 15w may be a little heavy for the winter months, had a little higher oil pressure (probably not a problem, but thought over time may be a little harder on the engine), the high mileage Mobil oil might help with the small consumption I've had between oil changes (I know... some comsumption is not necessarily a bad thing) and by having some synthetic qualities I "thought" may be a slightly better oil than Delo for about the same price.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Rookie2

You are correct the 15w is to thick for winter if it gets below 40F, I thought you were talking summer only. If you change twice a year with mineral, 5w-30 winter, 15w-40 summer works well. As another poster mentioned, you may want to try the Shell Rotella T synth 5w-40, which is a group III synthetic. It is $13 for a gallon container at Walmart and is probably the best value for the $. Run it for 7500 mile intervals year around and don't worry about it.

clarkrw3 said:
How about the new 15K stuff from Mobal 1? that is what I have been using in the bimmers and it seems very nice and smooth. I can notice a difference in how quiet the engine is with it over the 15K BMW castol syn. I am sure some of you have some specific ideas on this however. :beer:

For bimmers, the best Mobil 1 is 0w-40, unless you are tracking the car. The 15w-50 does not work so well with the newer motors that have hydro lifters. In cold weather, it takes to long to pump up the lifters. As a side note, when I went from M1 15w-50 to 0w-40 in my wifes 525i, I saw a decrease in consumption.

Another thing to note is the BMW labled synth is a Group III from Castrol and not up to the 15k interval. It is a good oil for the money and works great if changed at 7500 mile intervals.

cary said:
You are correct the 15w is to thick for winter if it gets below 40F, I thought you were talking summer only. If you change twice a year with mineral, 5w-30 winter, 15w-40 summer works well. As another poster mentioned, you may want to try the Shell Rotella T synth 5w-40, which is a group III synthetic. It is $13 for a gallon container at Walmart and is probably the best value for the $. Run it for 7500 mile intervals year around and don't worry about it.

I believe that is the direction I'm going to go since it solves all my issues.

Do you think the good toyota filters (20004) would be okay over the 7500 mile interval?

Thanks again for the input.
Rookie2

Any of the Toyota filters are find for 7500 miles. Motors run much cleaner than the old days (one reason you see smaller filters). Honestly you could probably run the filter 15k with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom