MOAB October 1-14, 2017!! CANCELLED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pirate bulldog (302x167).jpg

AYE!!!

That is true, you are going to make me miss it again
Actually I had my dates planned around, and prior to, SCC. I moved them out of September at the implied request of a bunch of folks. I'd be happy to move them back again so as not to interfere with SCC, but then all the "non-Septembers" couldn't come til our second week.

The time is coming for you to come back East?

Id love to make it to Moab...
No, the time has come for Sam to become a veteran wheeler... Of MOAB! (oh, and you're invited too)

I will have to see, I finish up Grad School at the end of June and maybe Sam and I coming out could be my "graduation" present...

That's the spirit!

Something to ponder with regards to KT & 21Rd side trip @DSLTOY @TeddyBoy

IF - and that's probably a big if - the hardcore trucks are capable of doing a multi-day trek like KT, here's what I'm thinking/wondering:

The moderate group loads up on the 4-car and trailers over to Fruita to do the trail the suggested way. At or about the same time the hardcore group hits KT from Moab in the opposite direction. At some point we cross paths and, if possible, we camp that night together. We continue on in our original directions after meeting up and the moderate group arrives in Moab and continues wheeling and the hardcore group arrives in Fruita and runs our two trails. Once we're done or broke, we load up on the 4-car and return to Moab. This way nobody ever has to make an extra trip to drop or retrieve trailers or tow rigs.

Obvious issues:
More than four in the moderate group requiring trailering over may be an issue.
Finding a safe place in west Colorado to leave the tow rig and trailer will likely be a major hurdle.

has the revised schedule been coordinated with the host in UT? If so presume we are good?

And for clarification...are we are talking about being on the ground starting 1 Oct (Sunday) and conceptually through 14 Oct?

I know this may be subject to change...but is this the conceptual time-line as of (11 Jan 2017).

I have to start advocating for vacation approval and so I have to go on record with that as you may imagine...

Last edited:
I just realized this section existed! What!? Anyway, I have a place up in Clarkesville, Ga and a 60 series. I just went out to Moab this summer for the second time and that place is amazing!

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 12.48.58 PM.png

I just realized this section existed! What!? Anyway, I have a place up in Clarkesville, Ga and a 60 series. I just went out to Moab this summer for the second time and that place is amazing!

View attachment 1380607

cool. You didn't pull the Airstream all the way out there with the 60 did you?

Something to ponder with regards to KT & 21Rd side trip @DSLTOY @TeddyBoy

IF - and that's probably a big if - the hardcore trucks are capable of doing a multi-day trek like KT, here's what I'm thinking/wondering:

The moderate group loads up on the 4-car and trailers over to Fruita to do the trail the suggested way. At or about the same time the hardcore group hits KT from Moab in the opposite direction. At some point we cross paths and, if possible, we camp that night together. We continue on in our original directions after meeting up and the moderate group arrives in Moab and continues wheeling and the hardcore group arrives in Fruita and runs our two trails. Once we're done or broke, we load up on the 4-car and return to Moab. This way nobody ever has to make an extra trip to drop or retrieve trailers or tow rigs.

Obvious issues:
More than four in the moderate group requiring trailering over may be an issue.
Finding a safe place in west Colorado to leave the tow rig and trailer will likely be a major hurdle.

Not sure there's a good way to address this for us Steve. I'd love to do it but like you not sure my rig has that kind of trip in it. I'm sure you remember the the round trip back to camp after 21 Rd which was only 42 miles of gravel with a little paved mixed in, that was brutal.

From the looks of it there are plenty of moderate guys in the group, something like 6-7 trucks which is perfect size for such a trip. Either we grab passenger seats or sit it out, would be a game time thing for me I think.

Also, after last year i had every square inch of space stuffed with junk, parts etc... This time I'd like to cut way down on the amount of camping crap I take out there, I know Roger will appreciate that too.

cool. You didn't pull the Airstream all the way out there with the 60 did you?
No that was a friend's Air Stream right outside of Moab that we set up camp for a few days on the way to Cali.

has the revised schedule been coordinated with the host in UT? If so presume we are good?

And for clarification...are we are talking about being on the ground starting 1 Oct (Sunday) and conceptually through 14 Oct?

I know this may be subject to change...but is this the conceptual time-line as of (11 Jan 2017).

I have to start advocating for vacation approval and so I have to go on record with that as you may imagine...
I have not revised the schedule with Grandpa yet. Since the shift to Oct 1-14 will interfere with SCC, I wanted to wait a bit longer to be 100% sure that this is actually what the final decision is going to be. MOST can't do September, but the one that MIGHT want to do SCC carries a lot of weight in the decision. :)

What say ye Roger? @DSLTOY

I have not revised the schedule with Grandpa yet. Since the shift to Oct 1-14 will interfere with SCC, I wanted to wait a bit longer to be 100% sure that this is actually what the final decision is going to be. MOST can't do September, but the one that MIGHT want to do SCC carries a lot of weight in the decision. :)

What say ye Roger? @DSLTOY

Well I follow the line of thought and I understand. There was some discussion that seemed to lead me to the opinion that we were off the Sept time-frame...but nevertheless... need to commit to a time-line where-ever that goes or thats my take. I'm sure others have their own challenges regarding time/space. Those with the large trailers hauling multiple trucks obviously need coordination and commitment to make things happen and as potentially may happen, some may drop out.

So anyway....waiting on consensus on time-frame for on the ground in UT, At least for me...thats my my focus area, key to everything else. "critical path"

Dates are firm: October 1-14 2017. :D
We are on the official schedule of Grandpa's Garage. :bounce:

Time for trailer space committals. Ted, John, Nick??? Get on it!

4-car: Roger, __, __, __
3-car: TEQiddiot, __, __

Dates are firm: October 1-14 2017. :D
We are on the official schedule of Grandpa's Garage. :bounce:

Time for trailer space committals. Ted, John, Nick??? Get on it!

4-car: Roger, __, __, __
3-car: TEQiddiot, __, __

I'm a definite trailer b!tch, just need 2 more on there to round out the budget.

I'm a definite trailer b!tch, just need 2 more on there to round out the budget.
Already knew you were taking a trailer spot, but Roger brought up a good point when I spoke to him earlier. With the addition of a 3-car [with two open spots currently] coming from the Atl area, will you and any other Atl crew go there instead of on Roger's trailer?

I've already committed to Roger and unless something dramatically changes I'll keep that commitment.

Its great when a plan comes together...8months to go. That gives me just enough time to wrap up some loose ends :)
I'm gonna turn in my leave application tomorrow and see what happens.

Edit: Leave/vacation applied for. "things" look good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom