MOAB October 1-14, 2017!! CANCELLED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not Moab...

20161226_150544.jpg
20161203_094821.jpg
20161125_114835.jpg
20151212_132636.jpg

Not Moab...

I keep hearing about Sand Hollow, watched a bunch of vids, etc and looks damned cool, even potentially epic.

I have 2 concerns about San Hollow though:
  1. It appears to be more oriented to very built rigs.
  2. Cuts into/takes away from Moab time and agendas.
That's not even taking into consideration how it fits into our (hardcore grp) desire to hit 21 Rd and Billings Canyon again. We keep pecking away at the available wheeling days.

One thing I did not budget enough time for last time was repairs/shop time. Now granted I spent 2 days putting Mashed Potato back to together after a rollover but I still lost 4 or 5 days total. Assuming that doesn't happen again that still leaves 2 days lost due to repairs and at least 2 days for 21 Rd/Billings. That's 4 days lost at best and that's not even considering folding Sand Hollow into the mix.

I know, some of you guys are gonna say "Don't break!" Well that's easy to say from the comfort of your living rooms but it aint realistic, just about everyone that went last time had some issue to contend with.

Here are my travel plan this year:
  • SATURDAY Sept. 30!!!!! Fly into Grand Junction and rent a car, travel to Grandpa's Garage. I'm finding renting a car in GJ is the most economical even at $100 for a single day and dropping off in Moab that evening. If anyone is interested in splitting a rental car please let me know.
  • Oct. 1 (morning) through - Oct. 13th (Saturday evening) Be ready to wheel!! That's a grand total of 13 days wheeling time minus whatever we lose due to above.
  • Oct. 14 - HOPEFULLY, catch a ride back to Grand Junction in time for a 1:00ish flight back to ATL. I rode with Andy Jordan last time and he was great!! Renting a car from Moab is something of a long shot and even if it does happen it's $163. Enterprise is the only company that services Moab.
Another Thought: Car Rental. Having a "run around town" car is damned nice and I'm not sure if we will have that luxury this time around. If we can get enough "contributors" we can rent a car for 2 weeks and have it on hand. Rough cost would be around $550-$650 for the rental split however many ways.

Desired trails for me:
  • Potato Salad revenge!!!
  • Cliffhanger
  • Rusty Nail
  • Poison Spider Mesa
  • Area BFE- specifically Gate Keeper, Helldorado & Green Day - we could spends days here!!

Last edited:
I keep hearing about Sand Hollow, watched a bunch of vids, etc and looks damned cool, even potentially epic.

I have 2 concerns about San Hollow though:
  1. It appears to be more oriented to very built rigs.
  2. Cuts into/takes away from Moab time and agendas.
That's not even taking into consideration how it fits into our (hardcore grp) desire to hit 21 Rd and Billings Canyon again. We keep pecking away at the available wheeling days.

I've done tons of wheeling in my FZJ80 and BJ74 at Sand Hollow. 20,000 acres offers a lot of opportunity...and unlike Moab, it's OPEN OHV - plenty of mapped trails, but no strict requirement to stay on them ie: if it looks interesting, try it...if it looks too hard, find a route around.

Moab 4x4 Outpost is opening a new location in Hurricane. Offroad growth here is exploding. Even Danny is staying here at the HQ this weekend ;)

I've done tons of wheeling in my FZJ80 and BJ74 at Sand Hollow. 20,000 acres offers a lot of opportunity...and unlike Moab, it's OPEN OHV - plenty of mapped trails, but no strict requirement to stay on them ie: if it looks interesting, try it...if it looks too hard, find a route around.

Moab 4x4 Outpost is opening a new location in Hurricane. Offroad growth here is exploding. Even Danny is staying here at the HQ this weekend ;)

Go Falcons!!!! :flipoff2:

Go Falcons!!!! :flipoff2:
Wonder what username I should do this time....
"GoPackers"
"PackersFan"
"FalconsSuck"

Decisions decisions..... :ban:

Wonder what username I should do this time....
"GoPackers"
"PackersFan"
"FalconsSuck"

Decisions decisions..... :ban:

haha! anything with "packer" in it would not be cool.

• SATURDAY Sept. 30!!!!! Fly into Grand Junction and rent a car, travel to Grandpa's Garage. I'm finding renting a car in GJ is the most economical even at $100 for a single day and dropping off in Moab that evening. If anyone is interested in splitting a rental car please let me know.
  • Oct. 1 (morning) through - Oct. 13th (Saturday evening) Be ready to wheel!! That's a grand total of 13 days wheeling time minus whatever we lose due to above.
  • Oct. 14 - HOPEFULLY, catch a ride back to Grand Junction in time for a 1:00ish flight back to ATL. I rode with Andy Jordan last time and he was great!! Renting a car from Moab is something of a long shot and even if it does happen it's $163. Enterprise is the only company that services Moab.

So your plan is for me to to do the 2 1/2 day drive by myself?

Admin: Request to have all football posts removed and placed in the Cottonland football thread. Hahahahahaha. JK.

I was gonna quote Ted and say "Watch out, that might be considered a ban-worthy statement." Insulting that particular team MIGHT not be a good idea on this particular forum. :p

Obviously that is less than desirable but I dont do well in vehicles much past 8 hours. I'm actively looking for co-dogs as we speak.

Roger,
If your looking for a Co-Driver we need to talk. PM me
:beer:

I will have to see, I finish up Grad School at the end of June and maybe Sam and I coming out could be my "graduation" present...

I'm graduating in June as well (Bachelors) - A tow rig and this trip are my "graduation" gifts-to-self! Lol. Congrats on making it through grad school!

I just realized this section existed! What!?

Welcome to Georgia Cruisers, lol.

Roger,
If your looking for a Co-Driver we need to talk. PM me
:beer:

@DSLTOY did you see this? Looks like we may have a contender!!

Ben - does this also mean you want a spot on Roger's trailer?

Ideas on coordination, gear to bring, books/maps to study. (throwing ideas out...for comments / consideration) better to have time and do thing prior to showing up or have to round up crap at the last minute.

(a) anything we need to bring for each truck that we normally may not have
(b) have a functional / operational 2meter radio and CB and programmed for certain frequencies
(c) sources / recommendations for maps and or guidebook
(d) advice on routes for tow rings coming into MOAB, smart routes into MOAB, given pulling a trailer
(e) sharing cell #'s to help if needed or for coordination...text msg (on the trail or on the pavement)
(f) critical items (first aid kit, fire extinguisher) ?
(g) spare fuel/gas cans / funnel ,
(h) lessons learned from previous trips or screwups or in general

I'm not the camping pro....far from it, assume there might be some others in the mix too. Just thought I would throw up some general ideas that people might benefit from or be value added, because once on the ground its likely to be hard to make a lot of adjustments. as we move forward I too would like to know I have the bases covered or I need to consider getting something or not... rather than find out I did not bring something that makes my life hell on the ground.

One thing I noticed was its a challenge to get your bearings at times and understand where you are vs egress and access points etc and or any references on map, either GPS or paper.

Ideas on coordination, gear to bring, books/maps to study. (throwing ideas out...for comments / consideration) better to have time and do thing prior to showing up or have to round up crap at the last minute.
~~~
~
~
~
(h) lessons learned from previous trips or screwups or in general
Idea: Don't become the next Mashed Potato!
Related Idea: DO get knighted by the King of Mud himself!

Idea: Don't become the next Mashed Potato!
Related Idea: DO get knighted by the King of Mud himself!

I want a "cool" user name too :) who knows where that might take me though...

I want a "cool" user name too :) who knows where that might take me though...

No you don't, price of admission is pretty high.

In regards to stuff to bring, I'm keeping the camping equipment to a minimum this time. Tent, mattress, sleeping bag and a pillow will probably be about it. Last time I took a frig, cooler, EZ-Up, stove, chair, etc, etc, etc, which I never used. I also took a bunch of tools I never needed either to include cordless impact, ratchet sets, jack stands, etc. Having Grandpa's garage was a huge advantage so not going to make that mistake again, leaves more room for parts.

I think the only thing i may have gotten right was the amount of clothing I took. I had a duffle bag heavy enough to have a body in it but I think I wore everything I took w/o having to do laundry.

Short version, If I need something I'll buy it in Moab cuz it's just not worth the hassle of filling up Roger's trailer

What Ted said, Danny's shop is well equipped and I carry a perty complete set of tools on the trails.
If you are interested in digital maps look at cartotracks and the Maplets app.

I'm gonna break tradition and actually try to understand the garmin hiking gps I've had for some time, maybe I'll actually read the directions and try and load some maps. the main gripe I have is that the screen is too small and its not something thats intuitive... I know there are some map apps for the apple and android tablets & phones, its gotten where if I don't have my reading glasses I can hang up being able to comprehend much of the small screen or detail stuff. Time to see what I can figure out how to use effectively now, before on the ground.

Welp... the worst of the worst case scenarios happened today.

My new "boss" that has constantly made my life worse and worse since the day he arrived a few months ago decided he's going to deploy me in late September for a few months. As of today my leave request has already been disapproved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom