Mixing tires-Old & New (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace my from right tire and I have about 55-60% tread left. Should I invest adding two new tires(already have one), or replace with all new tires? I'm worried about safety, the older tires wearing out and still left with two tires with 50% tread left, and tire revolution issues.

I wouldn't worry about the difference. Do you have a newer full size spare you could put in the mix? Or if you don't, you could buy two new tires and make your 50% tread tire a spare...

The one thing to keep in mind is the older tires have a smaller diameter than the newer tire and on our four wheel drive rigs having one significantly different than the others can be noticable. I had to put one new tire on my 80-series on a trip and it about drove me crazy. Added three new tires on the other corners and it was smooth again.

A new tire could have about 12/32 of tread, so the diameter would be 12/32 less than a new tire, at 50% wear. By my math, assuming a 33" tire, that ends up being 1.2" less circumference than a brand new tire. (I'm not a mathematician). Is this enough to make any noticeable difference?

My own opinion is no. You might be able to sell me on a pull if it drove noticeably one way and then the other way if you swapped tires.

I'd buy two. At least. As pointed out in your other thread, the only thing more important than armor is tires. The only part of these large fantastic and expensive vehicles that actually touches the surface you are traveling on, at any given point in time is less that a quarter of the tires. Is that really the place to try and save a buck? If its a $ thing I'd skip the awning. My $.02. :flipoff2:!!!

I'd buy two. At least. As pointed out in your other thread, the only thing more important than armor is tires. The only part of these large fantastic and expensive vehicles that actually touches the surface you are traveling on, at any given point in time is less that a quarter of the tires. Is that really the place to try and save a buck? If its a $ thing I'd skip the awning. My $.02. :flipoff2:!!!

Good point, but the wife wants to buy me the awning for my birthday. The tires and other repairs are on me.

Good point, but the wife wants to buy me the awning for my birthday. The tires and other repairs are on me.

Then she must love you very much. In my case that means we all make it home safe. No but, buy two tires. :idea: ...

At least. :hillbilly:

:cheers:

Wow bud. I never said I wasn't able to buy new tires. I was simply wanting to know if it normal to put two new tires on one axle while the other two are 35-40% worn. If it isn't safe, then I don't give a crap about buying new tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom