minitruck ps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i know that some say that this is a weak conversion,but i hear its somewhat bolt on.seeing that i dont have a welder and many of the other essential tools this may be the swap i need.
BUT,i cant find a how to,what i need writeup anywhere.i know pinhead has this done and claims that is does fine with 33's-35's.thats all im going to run.
SO can we talk a little about this so i can figure out what to do.
:beer: :beer: :beer:
shawn

Hi Shawn
I have both the brackets you will need to do a mini truck P/S conversion. One for the Saginaw pump (doesn't mount off the head bolts) and one for the gearbox.They are $85.00 each plus shipping and if you buy both I will pay the shipping.
You can read some feedback from some other people who have used my brackets on this web site. I don't advertise only word of mouth. I can give you all the info for the conversion if your interested. you can email me at wdorry@yahoo.com and you can see the brackets at the link below. Thanks Bill

http://photos.yahoo.com/wdorry

http://www.ih8mud.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=display;num=1052403768

check out the above post and then check out the post that is posted with in that post :G

Here is the quick overview on Mini PS

The mini truck PS box is the same as the FJ box except you need to move it forward a bit hence the need for a new mount which you can buy from several diffrent locations...that makes it a drill out the old rivits drill some new holes and bolt it all up....You use the FJ Pitman arm and drag link....other than this there is nothin to it..oh and get a braket for the PS and then bolt that bad boy on.

Why ppl think its bad

ppl don't like the mini PS set up cause it keeps the center arm and then stock drag link which you can hit on full lock with bigger tires...

How to make mini PS work....you need to make sure your center arm is in good shape...rebuild it and make it nice and tight...also make sure all your tie rod ends are in good shape and not warn out.....

Did i miss anything guys and gals? Oh if you have the type of steering colum that goes directly into your steering box (no rag joint) then you have to come up with some way to attach the two....haven't thought about it though cause i am going FJ60 box....which is like the scout 2 box but better cause it's yota :G ...just have to get the dam thing running again...always something...

Stew

I just did this conversion. I got a whole power steering set up from an '84. I used jt outfitters bracket for the gear box. I made a bracket that bolted to my smog pump bracket and used the smog pump tensioner for the pump. I also made a bracket for the reservoir that bolted on the sleeve that the radiator fits in. I am running 34 x 9.50 swampers and have no trouble on or off road. I did rebuild my center arm and replaced my tie rod ends. If you would like pictures or more info you can email me. jstark34@msn.com.
HTH

whoa ask and ye shall recieve! :G
well my alternator is mounted where the smog pump should be.dont know why?i got this engine desmogged from someone else.its a 2f.early,with the pop in/out oil cap.i took a look to see if i can mount the alt. on the other side but it doesnt seem like i can.
also its a 73 so the alt wiring is on drivers side.
any suggestions?
wdorry will you have those brackets for awhile or is it a 1 time thing?funds are low so i will have to wait on them.
1 more ? if you have to move the gearbox, wouldnt that mess with the steering column length,where it bolts to the mini box?

Fjmonster, go with the PS brackets from wdorry, I just got them, they're beefy as hell, more affordable and stronger than the jtoutfitters brackets. :G :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom