Mini Truck PS conversion on a '40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a '66 FJ40 and I'm getting ready to do the mini truck PS conversion. My manual steering box has no rag joint. I also have a later model steering shaft and want to retain my old style steering wheel and turn indicators. Has anybody out there done this before???? If so, where did you cut and weld the old/new steering shaft? OK, said enough.
Ed Long ??? ???

Well havent done it on a crusier just yet. Done it on a buggy before though. Just cut the shaft where you need. Take a piece of DOM and sleeve it, I cut some holes in the DOM first then used them as weld bungs as extra insurance. I dont like messing with safety. And you can get any size wall tube and machine it out to match off size shafts.

The only other way that would require minimal welding no welding is to get a DOM tube and sleeve the two. Then use a drill press to put in four grade 8 bolts( two upper shaft and 2 for rag joint shaft space them about 2" for less stress along the OE shaft). Definitely booty fab but still strong.

You'll have to get a early model anchor(firewall bracket) from downey, I think it is $45 and get a rag joint from jt outfitters, whick is about another $45. Downey will include instructions at your request. It's pretty straight forward, you'll have to cut your orignal gearbox off the steering shaft, right above the box, then cut the outer casing about three inches above the steering shaft, then slide your brass bushing over the shaft and into the casing, then put the washer they give you on and weld it to your shaft, then weld the rag joint on. You'll have to either fabricate a mount for your mini truck box or buy one from jt, $100. Hope this helps you.

I like the idea of joining the rag joint end of the later model shaft and the existing shaft with a piece of tubing and welding. That would give a little leeway while fitting. Does anybody know if the shaft diameters are the same? I won't know until I cut my existing column apart and I'd like to have whatever it will take to join them on hand. ???
Thanks,
Ed

I haven't dealt with the steering colum issue but I did install minitruck powersteering on my 40. Buy the brackets from WDoory(he's on this forum), his are beefier than JT Outfitter's and similar if not cheaper in price. The powersteering conversion is pretty easy, the hardest part is removing the old steering box tower, from there it bolts right on. I have a pic or two of the conversion on my cruiser, if you want to see them let me know.

Thanks, Gus. I bought Bill's brackets, nice and he's a great guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom