Mini Truck Axles Under FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys-

I searched and the closest thing I could find was a buggy build on pirate based on an Fj that used a 22R on propane, and mini truck axles.

I was wondering I will be starting to build a rolling Fj40 chassis very soon, and I am at the point I need to start shopping for axles, my problem is I already have a nice set of 4.10 mini truck axles.

So my question is why not convert them to SUA and run them? Is there really a whole lot of difference in a 40 axle and a mini truck.

Keep in mind this is basically a "from scratch" build. I have wide open options for engines, tranny's t-cases etc.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks
Josh

Hey Guys-

I searched and the closest thing I could find was a buggy build on pirate based on an Fj that used a 22R on propane, and mini truck axles.

I was wondering I will be starting to build a rolling Fj40 chassis very soon, and I am at the point I need to start shopping for axles, my problem is I already have a nice set of 4.10 mini truck axles.

So my question is why not convert them to SUA and run them? Is there really a whole lot of difference in a 40 axle and a mini truck.

Keep in mind this is basically a "from scratch" build. I have wide open options for engines, tranny's t-cases etc.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks
Josh

I'm going to be running a 3 link'd mini rear axle, but that's because I'm running a centered tcase.

If you have them, then do it. They are all tough as nails. But why "convert" them to SUA?? Throw stock springs on SOA and run 35's. If you are building from scratch, and have open options, don't downgrade and go SUA.....unless your trying to build a near stock rig, then I understand.

The reason I was going to convert to sua was for road manners, by the time I'm done the truck wont see much wheeling, maybe some fireroads for camping but that's about it. I figure 4" and 33's will be nice.

I'm also trying to choose a drivetrain right now....part of me wants a 350/350/minitruck case, the other toyota purist part wants a 22re or tacoma 4cyl (forget the designation), toyota 5 speed, toyota mini case.

The reason I was going to convert to sua was for road manners, by the time I'm done the truck wont see much wheeling, maybe some fireroads for camping but that's about it. I figure 4" and 33's will be nice.

I'm also trying to choose a drivetrain right now....part of me wants a 350/350/minitruck case, the other toyota purist part wants a 22re or tacoma 4cyl (forget the designation), toyota 5 speed, toyota mini case.

Gotcha on the SUA.

I know a cat that runs a 350/350/mini case, it works for him, he has a light foot. I am going to run a 350/th400/205 because my foot is heavy. The 4cyl's are cool, but if your going to be driving it on the road alot, a bigger motor will probably make you happier. If you don't want to go with a SBC, try a Vortec V6/th350/mini case. You can find them at junkyards pretty easy, and they are EFI!!!

i think a 22re in a 40 would be Horrible!

40's are much hevier than a Pickup truck or 4runner..

3.4l V6 would be cool out of a 3rd gen runner..

minitruck axles would be fine, and not that hard to convert to SUA, It would be easier to find an FJ40 front housing, and Move your parts over to it.. then the rear is just new perch pads!

mini front axle would require outboarding the front leaf springs.

pumpkin is more offset than a Cruiser front is

The Cruiser diff is stouter and the axle housings are heavier duty... The Minitruck rear wheel bearings are puny compared to the Cruisers. FJ40 axles are a dime a dozen. If you can't find a disc front end, swap your mini brakes to any old Cruiser housing.

Mark...

If you want to run other than stock drivetrain the mini cenetred diff makes sense. Thats if you don't want to buy a modified cruiser rear.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both like.
Like wheel bearing vs c-clip the mini wins.
going disc brake rear and e-brake setup the cruiser wins.
strength the mini is strong but the cruiser wins.
As far as the front you will be far ahead to keep the stock axle.
As far as using a 4cyl ,the only toyota 4 banger that might work will be the 3rz from a taco.
If you go with a v6 don't bother with the 3.0 the 3rz is much better , go with the 3.4.
I have done disc brakes in the rear of 87 mini using toyota calipers and rotors , very clean and easy mod,but the e-brake is a big issue.
Keep in mind that the mini rear axle from 79-85 are the same width as the 40 rears.
Also with 33" tire and SUA ,clearance might be an issue too in the rear.

IMO I see no reason other than the front spring issue. While the diffs are stronger on the landcruiser axles, with 33" tires you should have no problem with strength. Curb weight on a 3rd gen 4runner is ~3600lbs, FJ40 is ~ 3300lbs. No issues of strength under a heavier more powerful vehicle. I don't see an issue under the fj40 unless you go v8 in the 4runner. Even then it's probably ok depending on your driving style. As for the front, the minitruck axles have different stock caster angles, so you'll have to cut and turn them to the correct caster for sua.

For like $100 or probably less you can pick up a front drum axle for a landcruiser and swap in all the good stuff. Most fj40 axles are going to be 4.11 ratio. If you find an early minitruck they also have 4.11 ratio or you can probably just run a 4.10/4.11 combo. I'm not sure you'd notice the difference.

I like the idea of the minitruck transfer case. I think if ever get around to it I'd like to swap in a 5vz-fe 3.4l /auto/doubler into my 40. The big advantage with the v-6/auto combination is how short the engine is and with an auto you don't need to worry about shifter placement. Thus you can push the engine way forward and fit a doubler without leaving a super short rear drive shaft.

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom