Milleage and pressure - MTR's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think several of you have goodyear MTR's - what milleage do you expect to get out of them and what air pressure do you run on/off road? Its time to replace the BFG AT's and Im considering these in 285/75R16. Any advice or comments?

At my current rate of wear I expect around 25k from mine. I've found 42 psi works well.

Completely not on the MTR subject but more of a "I can't believe it" kinda thing, I have a friend who at this time has 82,000 miles on a set of BFJ AT KO's. 285 75R 16's and they still have a little bit of tread on them. :dunno:

I'm going BFG next. Finding the "perfect" tire will no doubt be a long time quest.

Keep,
I hear the BFG muds are wearing much better than the GY. Most say the GY is a better off-road tyre though.

For me, it will be a set of 33" BFG A/T's for the street and a set of 35" MT/R's for the trail. I would consider the Krawlers if they make them in a 35x16 size by the time I can afford trail tyres.  I can't accept less than 30k for a set of tyres on a DD and my truck will be my driver for a long time.

-B-

The GY is better than the BFG offroad? Thats the opposite of what I've heard.... ???.

Keep,
You know how those subjective comparisons are... all of us will justify our selections and purchases by comparing to the next best product. Facts and qualitative comparisons are rarely used for recommendations and decisions.

-B-

Well you threw me for a loop when you said that... :-/ maybe I missed some threads, but I don't think I had ever heard anyone say they compared both and prefered MTRs offroad. My interpretation of what's been said over the months here and on SOR has roughly been that the GY is a better combination onroad/offroad tire. Which is why I purchased them initially and why I figured a lot of people here run them.

Where as the BFG were considered by most to be a superior tire offroad but not as comfortable or quiet onroad.

Of course you're right that its mostly subjective, but it still sounded to me that this was the overwhelming opinion. Have I been hallucinating all these months? :dunno: Well, aside from that one weekend in Ibiza... :G

I briefly looked at the GY MTRs, but couldn't justify the price difference over the BFG MTkms. I've always had incredible performance from the BFGs, and have always put roots and rocks through the sidewalls of GY tires.

From what I have heard, the GY MTRs are getting about 30K prior to needing replacement. Most of my BFGs have been getting about 50K and I usually replace them prior to actual necessity...I'm on my 5th set of BFG MTs on three vehicles and have never had a complaint.

-H-

Currently have 16 k on mine. Expect to get 30k+. Street pressure is 32-34psi. Trail pressure is 15-18psi

Bob Garrett
95 FZJ80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom