Mild Offroad and a bit of camping rec (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know many of the roads/trails but someone should make a list of what they would want to go for with a mix of easy and harder stuff if people want to do that. The next meeting we could definitely get it in the books. You guys who are interested in going should try to make it to get things moving

I'd love to do the traverse. My truck is good for it, I'll just want to finally get that platform built for me and Norm to sleep on in the truck.

I'd be content to just hit some trails. Tray/popcorn/Charlies/any other suggested places that I don't know of yet.

I'd love to do the traverse. My truck is good for it, I'll just want to finally get that platform built for me and Norm to sleep on in the truck.

I'd be content to just hit some trails. Tray/popcorn/Charlies/any other suggested places that I don't know of yet.

On the Alabama Cruisers group a member sent a link and Tray Mountain and Popcorn Creek Road are closed right now.

They were very much open last week. I spoke to the ranger's office, as of last week at least the easy side of Tray was closed. Ben's favorite side was open, assuming I understood correctly.

License plate "80"? If so that'd be funny, I was riding next to him on the way out of town on Friday.

That's me! Your VA plates threw me off a bit. Clean ride man! Headed back up that way this weekend. Camping at Carters Lake and wheeling Sunday.

That's me! Your VA plates threw me off a bit. Clean ride man! Headed back up that way this weekend. Camping at Carters Lake and wheeling Sunday.

Small world! Your truck isn't so bad looking either!

VA plates because I refuse to pay GA sales tax on vehicles I've already paid it on. Plus no as valorem or emissions.

Where will you be Wheeling and, would you like some extra company for Sunday?

Thanks man. Would love some company! Don't have a plan for where yet as its dependent upon weather. Maybe the spots you mentioned above. If its dry I may cruise up towards Chatt and Coppingers...

Thanks man. Would love some company! Don't have a plan for where yet as its dependent upon weather. Maybe the spots you mentioned above. If its dry I may cruise up towards Chatt and Coppingers...

I just saw your other post. Is this Carter’s lake? Beautiful

Last edited:
all you guys in ATL (and there's a bunch) go banging around in north Georgia but never hit the meetings or come along for wheeling events. Curious as to why that is. Personally speaking, some on my best memories are sitting around campfires with guys I've met on this forum and seems a shame so few take advantage of that.

GSMTR is a great oportunity for those who have never been. Stock truck friendly and tons of similar rigs to wheel with. Just sayin.

all you guys in ATL (and there's a bunch) go banging around in north Georgia but never hit the meetings or come along for wheeling events. Curious as to why that is.

Speaking for myself

I would love to join and do the group meet/rides. However, coming from the city meeting in Alpharetta on tues evening is nearly impossible. With 3 kids under the age of 6 weekends are hit or miss with us. Usually, when there something planned I’m either at a swim lesson or a bday party. Maybe the stars will align and we can meet up at a gathering. We got the LC to make it a family activity. If we all can’t go it most likely won’t work.

all you guys in ATL (and there's a bunch) go banging around in north Georgia but never hit the meetings or come along for wheeling events. Curious as to why that is. Personally speaking, some on my best memories are sitting around campfires with guys I've met on this forum and seems a shame so few take advantage of that.

GSMTR is a great oportunity for those who have never been. Stock truck friendly and tons of similar rigs to wheel with. Just sayin.

Sort of echoing Billy- the scheduling isn't always ideal for me when I've been between Acworth and Brookhaven and all around the metro throughout the day. I've been to a few and this is a great group of guys, I'd be thrilled to drink beer around a fire together. The reason I haven't been along for a trip yet, scheduling aside, is simple- I can't keep up with you guys in your rigs!

I think the wagon guys want to see some of the trucks at the meetings as well. Most of the seasoned guys run non-streetable trucks so when you pull up to the restaurant, it doesn't look like a Land Cruiser/off road meeting is happening.

I just saw your other post. Is this Carter’s lake? Beautiful

View attachment 1965511

Yep thats Carters Lake!

I'm working on getting to GSMTR even if only for the last day or two. I'm new here and am 100% down to hit meetings and wheel hard! Getting outside of the perimeter during the week is pretty hard for me but I'll figure it out. When's the next one, next Tuesday?

I'm working on getting to GSMTR even if only for the last day or two. I'm new here and am 100% down to hit meetings and wheel hard! Getting outside of the perimeter during the week is pretty hard for me but I'll figure it out. When's the next one, next Tuesday?

Come up on Friday and stay the weekend that’s when the party starts. You’ll have a good time. Just be up there before 10am if you want to get in a group to wheel. And If you see me in my red 80 flag me down and join us.

Next meeting is this upcoming Tuesday. We'll probably talk about gsmtr and the north Georgia ride.

THIS ^^^^ . Pandathrust is correct but really things get cranked up Wednesday or thursday.

Yup, I get the "kid(s) and family" argument and also the "been running all over town" argument which are all valid. I would argue (to some degree) the fact that "your" rig can't keep up with our rigs while true is also self prophesyzing. Most of the club has streetable rigs but they are the quiet majority. I c/would argue that if some of (you) guys chose to make the events that you'd likely have more company than you know.

Anyway, all valid points and appreciate the input.

I'm all for being more involved; if there are some more wagons to run with, I'm ready to roll. Lately a few of us have just been saying "hey, I'm going to run these trails this weekend, anyone is welcome to join". I guess not officially sanctioned by the club but still sort of making our own events.

I'll be interested in caravanning with someone up to GSMTR for the weekend. Not sure I'd be able to make it in before 10 on Friday morning but definitely by mid afternoon.

Roll on guys. Windrock is a huge park. Don't worry about those times. Folks will be in and out all day, and their maps are better than average so if 2 or 3 decide to roll up and then roll out, you'll be fine. Hell last year we decided to go find "the train", I'm not sure anyone had been where we were in months, it started raining and we missed a few turns, but we got there and it was a good time. Not guided or anything, just grabbed a map and took off. Great time. As I've heard a few times recently, "just do you". Find some folks and enjoy it. Hope to see you there.

GSMTR 2018 - we found the train!
0519181608.jpg

I sort of second everyone else. I live near Canton area and with a 5 year old playing baseball it is sort of hard to make it to any meets or trail rides right now. It is hard to get off work, pick up my child then get home and leave for a meet in Alpharetta by a certain time. I did enjoy the meet that I did attend. I think with more of you guys having non streetable rigs having trail rides is different than having a trail ride with guys with streetable Toyotas. I know GA and myself have gone on a few trail rides and also had last minute trail rides. Having a streetable LX won't work on some of the trails these non streetable Toyotas go on. I was also a little disappointed showing up at the meet and not seeing any other streetable 40, 60, 80, 100 or 200 series Cruisers besides MongooseGA's 100 series. I had to make sure I was at the correct place for the meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom