middle seat hinges.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It looks like the third row will hit the rear window at full recline. If you can't put a position between stock and hitting the window, can you use them reclined while driving?

I often travel with the kids with the second row out. It would be nice if they could recline more in the third row.

The third row seat hinges do have teeth for multiple recline positions. The 2nd row hinges don't, but they only recline another 30 degrees or so before hitting another stop.

My JDM hinges have multiple indents for multiple angles of recline. I wonder why the US models do not have them? Since I have not R/R my US hinges with the JDM yet, I cannot really compare them. One interesting note on the JDM hinges, they use have a "cog" that locks unto the "toothed" wheel located next to the pin that is cut off in this mod (see Nakman's picture above). The multiple teeth in the wheel allows the seatback to lock in various recline position. I'll get some side-by-side pictures when I do the R/R of my hinges.

John

I R/R one of my middle row seat hinges with the reclining hinge today. I only did the driver's side due to the fact that my reclining hinges are gray color and I have oak/tan/brown interior. I'm going to take the OEM hinge down to the store to match the paint color.

I noticed a few things about the hinges. The US OEM hinges only have about 3 teeth, which is used to lock the seat in one single postion (upright) while the JDM hinges have a lot of more teeth on the circular gear, allowing it to have 5 recline position.

FWIW, only the first recline position is usable if the rear seats are folded up. If the rear seats are removed or lowered, all 5 reclining position will work. The first reclining position makes the middle row seat more comfortable on the long trips. It was something my wife has always wanted in the cruiser. As an added benefit, when a child/infant seat is attached to the middle row seat, it is easier to enter into the rear row seat by lowering the middle row seatback. The person only has to climb over a lowered middle row seatback to get to the rear seat instead of over the upright seatback.

I also notice that my rear row seats have 2 reclining positions in addition to the upright postion, for a total of 3 seatback settings (not counting the folded forward positions).

Picture: The reclining hinge is on the left and the US non-reclining hinge is to the right.

John

I'm bumping this really old thread cuz I'm curious if swapping the US hinges for the JDM ones is all you need to do, and if it's really straightforward... Don't wanna risk messing anything up.

TIA

Yea, it's an old thread lol. I actually already asked Mot, and while he can get the hinges, he hasn't actually done the swap himself. And my search hasn't yielded any success when it comes to finding someone who's actually swapped the hinges.

I'm guessing you're referring to this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/34942-recliner-hinge-level2-gear-swap.html

1) Where's the Part 1 of it? Didn't find that.
2) I'm weighing how tough that is to do, and the likelihood of messing it up. I'm not gonna do it myself; I was gonna have a install shop do it for me. But I don't wanna risk messing up my seats. Which is why I was seriously contemplating buying the JDM hinges, if I could confirm they're a simple swap, etc.

Awesome! So basically you just swap the hinges, and you're all done? Def. sounds like the way to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom