MGrew Pre-run... June 22-24 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pics or it didn't happen! We went to the Bush concert at Britt and got soaked & sauced, tell me camping was the same way! Carnage??

Oh, it happened. In the rain and clouds. Photo documentation to follow shortly. Russ are you OK? Did you make home safely?

Heard from Jerod that the tow truck got there but that the tow truck developed some kind of "noise". ?? :frown:

:eek: Made it home a little after 10 all for the low, low price of...:mad: :hmm: :bang: :censor:
Took several tries to get a tow to come out to my local.
The noise...rock in the brakes where it shouldn't have been.
More later...hot tub awaits.:clap:
:cool:

After a quick side trip to Taylors Sat am, I met up with Lost Coast and our very own Ted at Obrien. Aired down and off we went after a small amount of 'jaw-jackin'.
I gave Ted a few pointers and he took to it like second nature. First time and with the fam in tow, I'd say Ted did outstanding. And such a pretty and capable rig. Half the time it didn't even look like he was trying. :D

Had a nice weekend with fine folks despite the $750 tow bill.
On the way home up the hill from 'Major Moore' (aka North Fork campground) I was getting a loud 'buzz' from the alternator. Slowed up, shifted to hi and the noise subsided somewhat.
Just down the road from there I started getting a very loud noise from the power steering. Yup, low on fluid except that more fluid didn't help. Wet spot in the gravel. Moved a splash shield and with flashlite and glasses I found a nice crack in the return line from the PS box spewing fluid.
Needless to say, the repair wasn't happnin' on the road side and after some fone calles(thank goodness I had cell service) I lucked out(another story there) and found a company that WOULD come get me. Couple of hours later he showed up and with little fan fare, hooked up and off we went.
Could have been worse by a long shot. :rolleyes:

p.s. pix and vids to follow:clap:

IMAG0119.jpg

:frown::frown: Sorry about the tow Russ

Russ in California;7721434 Just down the road from there I started getting a very loud noise from the power steering. Yup said:
I blew my line on the way in on the McGrew 2 years ago. Ended up using Rescue Tape on line after I pulled it in camp. Worked great except the line just blew in another place on the way home. Should have taped the whole line and I bet I could still be running it today. Sorry to hear about the tow, that hurts. Grab a roll of tape for the future because you never know.

Grab a roll of tape for the future because you never know.

:bang: :doh: :censor:
Yeah!! I looked for half an hour for the 'rescue' tape I knew I saw in the truck when I packed. Must have knocked it somewhere I couldn't see it. :mad: Never have needed it and the one time I do and knew it was on board...I can't find it.
Didn't think the duct tape would work so I didn't try that. :rolleyes: Might have saved me a few hundred if I'd have been able to limp down to the highway.
Live and learn...

Here's the links to VIDS & PIX

Last edited:
Cool stuff Russ! Definitely a wetter trail this year. No way all that will evap before we go. :eek:

Sucks DonKee balls you had to get a tow though.:frown:

Thanks mates. It did suck. :frown:
It wasn't wheelin. It wasn't on some obscure hard to get to road. I didn't do anything(nobody saw me, you can't prove anyth...:rolleyes:) other than minor neglect to cause it.:crybaby:
I lucked out to a very high level apparently NOT getting the first 4 places I called to tow me.
I was very thankful to get Victor @ California Auto Image out of Crescent City. He was willing and stuck with it to find out just where I was and if he could get to me. He'd not been on that road(Rowdy Creek RD)
In a 'what a small world' moment, as I'm talking to Victor over several calls trying to figure where I was, etc, It came around to my name and Land Cruiser and he remembered me from my days at NAPA auto in Arcata. He says, "how many Russ' and Land Cruisers are there? Hey honey(to his wife) I think I know this guy." She scoffed. :meh:
So...again...:rolleyes: It could have gone down much worse than it did. Not that the coin for the tow wasn't painful. I'll update that statement later after State Farm is done with the tow bill.:doh:
Glad to be home.:)

We are all very gratefully you were there for us, Russ and glad you finally made it home in one piece. I just followed and did what you did on the trail and you made it look easy. How could I go wrong. I and my entire family enjoyed your company and encouragement and are deeply saddened by your troubles on the way home.:frown: If there is anything we can do, please let me know. We'd be happy to help anyway we can.:clap:

Although, Russ trekked out home solo, we had Travis to help guide us out back to O'Brien via FR 4402. We are also very grateful to him for his willingness and patience. In addition, his verbal radio tour as we made our way back to civilization was exquisite! Patty took a ton of notes along the way.:cheers:

I'd attach pics, but I am still working out the details of linking the pics. Coming soon. It was a tremendous and memorable first McGrew run.:hillbilly:

It was great to see you again Ted! And very glad the family made it out, and had a good time! :cheers: That's what this club is about! :D I'll see if I can work around the ByLaws and let you re-up.... ;) Hehehe I can't wait for a few years from now when you're taking your Hundy through the sluice!!! :D

Thanks, Jerod. All of you guys are great. My wife Patty and the kids loved Sour Dough Camp! The kids did really good in the truck for as long a ride in as it was. It definitely would be better to be able to stay for at least a few days once you get there instead of as an overnighter. They are up for another adventure, but want a shorter trail in and more days to run around wild in the woods!:bounce:

Thanks for listening to my verbal plea for reinstatement back into the club, with late and penalty fees of course. I'm drafting up the written request, but having troubles with the wording.:hmm: I promise to be a better club member in the future.:eek:

first attempt at anything but getting it moved to the driveway on sunday...been under the weather, off from work for w few days and now the sky is leaking. at least it's a warm rain. not a real productive start to the weekend. :meh:
STilL...it's good to be home.

IMAG0127.jpg

Someone dropped a stool there Russ............be careful!:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom