Metal Tech Roll Cages (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have talked to the guys at Metal Tech about purchasing roll cages from them in bulk to get the prices down significantly.

The price of a Jackson cage pre-built is $859.95 + $562.38 shipping = $1422.33. The shipping companies reclassified the cages thus the shipping...insanity. BTW I live in Gainesville, VA.

However, if I could get at least 2 other people to go in on the cages (NOT prebuilt and shipped to 1 address), the price drops significantly for both shipping ($30 extra per cage) AND metal tech throws in 10% off.

$489.95 + $141.24 = $631.19 for 1.

(3 * $489.95) - (3 * $49) + $141.24 + $30 + $30)/3 = $508.03 if 3 are bought.

I also have a guy who can weld the cages, and he will be giving me an estimate on cost to weld them soon.

Reply to this thread if interested, and I will take care of logistics.

Thanks,

Chad

Chad,

I am a huge fan of metal tech and have bought one of their kits in the past and was really pleased.

However, with shipping being that high with current fuel prices you might want to talk to one of the local who can bend you up a cage.

Ryan Bascom would be a good person to talk to. About 10 years ago, I sold him my tube bender and he's put it to good use and built a lot of stuff with it.

http://www.belowdeckfabrication.com/

Not too far from you either and the guy is a certified welder. IMHO no one should charge money to put in cages unless they are a trained welder who passed their certs. Rock sliders, bumpers, etc - bring on the shade trees and gypsy welders, but cages? Leave that to the pros.

By the time you buy metal tech, have it shipped and pay someone to weld it, etc you should at least check with him to see what it would run from him. Added bonus, you could do what ever you want in regards to cage design.

Where are you located Thats a sweet deal.

Metal tech has good cages. Hey I got a Nose guard from metal tech and never installed it or even cut the band off it. I went with the new arb bumper. It has some spots of rust on it from the garage. You can see where my hand must have taken the oil off and it is a rust hand. If someone is interested I will post up some pictures later on. I'm not trying to high jack your post but if you were ordering it you could save a few bucks with mine.

Somebody in the VA area I would sell it for $70 shipped.
cDSC04813.JPG

cDSC04812.JPG

cDSC04814.JPG
cDSC04813.JPG
cDSC04812.JPG
cDSC04814.JPG

Last edited:
I 2X that colangut I need to get down to Ryan's place.

Chad,

I am a huge fan of metal tech and have bought one of their kits in the past and was really pleased.

However, with shipping being that high with current fuel prices you might want to talk to one of the local who can bend you up a cage.

Ryan Bascom would be a good person to talk to. About 10 years ago, I sold him my tube bender and he's put it to good use and built a lot of stuff with it.

http://www.belowdeckfabrication.com/

Not too far from you either and the guy is a certified welder. IMHO no one should charge money to put in cages unless they are a trained welder who passed their certs. Rock sliders, bumpers, etc - bring on the shade trees and gypsy welders, but cages? Leave that to the pros.

By the time you buy metal tech, have it shipped and pay someone to weld it, etc you should at least check with him to see what it would run from him. Added bonus, you could do what ever you want in regards to cage design.

Thanks I will give him a call. I really liked their cages but if he can save me some money and deliver >=l results then I'm on it.

Where are you located Thats a sweet deal.

I am in Gainesville, VA. It's near Manassas.

Chad,

I can speak to the fact that he knows what he's doing. I'm a professionally trained and certified welder myself, I know good work when I see it (and I don't hand out compliments very often).

He lays down some nice beads and most of all is a nice guy.

Mark at Metal Tech is a top notch guy himself, but I think if your local to the Warrenton area you should talk to Ryan as he can either weld in a cage kit or make you one of his own - most of all, no shipping to hassle with. Perhaps another consideration is that if you have a welder install the cage you may run into clearance issues with the doors and top later. Should be done by a cruiser head so they know what to watch out for. Heck, I've seen Land Cruiser shops put them in wrong where the door would not close and catch the truck on fire in the process. A well installed cage is a fair amount of work.

PM johnsmith, IIRC I heard that he just had a cage built by Ryan.

Welcome to the board, I have a done a TON of shooting out your way back in the day. 30 years ago we used to buy a thousand rounds of 22 and go out to a friends farm there and plink all day. I have a 22 that has probably 20K of rounds through it in Gainesville. I bet it's not a shoot off the back porch kind of place anymore...

-Stumbaugh

Thanks Stumbaugh.

You're right, Gainesville is not one of those anymore. It is now part of the black hole that is NOVA. From my deck I can probably count 50 houses, and they are all detached single family homes. My family owns some land in Western VA near Harrisonburg so that's where I have to do my shooting. It looks like a lot of the guys here actually go down that way to 4x4 so I'll probably join them once the FJ is up and running.

I will give Ryan a call in the morning. Thanks again for the advice.

That part of Virginia around Harrisonburg is a very beautiful place. Always felt like I had a connection to the area around there and then found out my great, great, great, great grandfather settled around there in 1702. I guess that makes me old school Appalachian :hillbilly:

I love the 'Burg, what a great small town and an amazing place to mountainbike.

-Stumbaugh

That part of Virginia around Harrisonburg is a very beautiful place. Always felt like I had a connection to the area around there and then found out my great, great, great, great grandfather settled around there in 1702. I guess that makes me old school Appalachian :hillbilly:

-Stumbaugh

Yeah my entire family lives within 20 minutes of there. It unfortunately is growing up just like places here in NOVA. Every field is turning into rows of houses. Everyone is trying to make that $.

-Stumbaugh

harrisonburg is highly over rated....

<subliminal message>

don't leave DC...

DC is much better...

</subliminal message>

bk

Last edited:
harrisonburg is highly over rated....

<subliminal message>

don't leave DC...

DC is much better...

</subliminal message>

bk

lol too bad that isn't broadcasted statewide. Do you happen to have an orangish FJ? Does it have diamond plate quarters? Have you had it for a good while? I think your FJ might have been my inspiration to get an FJ when I was a kid. I am from Elkton.

Brain,

I hear you man, but you can't stop the suburban sprawl.

Where my dad lives south of Winchester there are more new houses than you even count. It's only a matter of time until it's the same way in the burg.

Some great places to ride in between Winchester and Harrisonburg, but not for long.

Hi Chad, I am currently having Ryan build my cage. It is almost done actually. I am very happy with how it turned out. Ryan designed the cage in Bend Tech (tube bending software) and made it so I have plenty of room around the clutch pedal for my foot which most cages do not. The cage also clears the doors, and the window cranks can be operated with the door closed. This is not the case for many cages I have seen over the years.

Full Disclosure: Ryan is a personal friend of many years. I do everything myself on my trucks from mechanical to fabrication. I have been welding for quite a few years and have done a flatbed for my old mini and my SOA along with other projects. However, I did not trust myself to bend and weld my own cage. I do trust Ryan which is why he has my truck.

I have no doubt Ryan could easily weld up and install a Metal Tech cage or bend you up a custom one. You are so close you should go visit him at the shop and you can check out my cage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom