Metal On Metal rattle at idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
jumeirahparts.com
Quite some time ago (before i stumbled upon this magnificent website) I noticed a tinny metal on metal rattle coming from the middle of the car when i start my cruiser (sound goes away with revs), the sound eventually goes but comes back sometimes when the car is at idle.
The sound isn't that noticeable from inside the cabin but it definitely is from the outside, My guess is it's the exhaust and i'd like to know what you guys think of it or if anyone has had a similar issue.

I saw this thread while searching.
My car does not have catalytic convertors, could there still be a heat shield that could cause this rattle?

Not to be an ass but it would be better for you to get under your own car and see for your self. Our US cars all have cat convertors. But yes, sounds like a heat shield/band rattle. Mine is coming from the cat heat shield. I need to find large clamps to tighten them up.

Not to be an ass but it would be better for you to get under your own car and see for your self. Our US cars all have cat convertors. But yes, sounds like a heat shield/band rattle. Mine is coming from the cat heat shield. I need to find large clamps to tighten them up.
You are absolutely correct, I will check it when I can and mention my findings.

Check the back of the muffler... there's a rubber mounted damper inside a bolted on housing. May have broken loose...

No Catalytic convertors or heat shields in sight
The search continues

IMAG0928.jpg

IMAG0929.jpg

I had a rock that was sitting on a heat shield up by the manifold, on the passenger side that was causing a similar rattle. Check that area too. You might have to jack up the front right corner to get into it, but the rock I had in there was just bouncing around making all kinds of racket!

When I bought my '77 fj40 last year, I noticed a rattle that seemed to come from the dash area at low speeds. Sometimes it was quite loud. Turned out it was from well-worn (worn out) hood hinges, allowing the hood to shake side-to-side! New hinges- noise gone...

When I bought my '77 fj40 last year, I noticed a rattle that seemed to come from the dash area at low speeds. Sometimes it was quite loud. Turned out it was from well-worn (worn out) hood hinges, allowing the hood to shake side-to-side! New hinges- noise gone...
Pretty sure this sound is coming from underneath the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom