Metal fabricator needed in Austin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone recommend a metal fabrication shop here in Austin? I need to have some brackets made to attach some seats to my roll bar.

can you draw out what you need? Maybe one of us can whip it out for you

Also, try RUFFSTUFF for brackets.

20140519_110348.jpg
20140519_110438.jpg
Wow. That is a very generous offer. I will draw it up and see what you think. I am hoping it will be relatively simple. It just needs to be a stretcher between the roll bar uprights. The seats I want install are meant to be mounted to the wall of an MRAP.

Interesting. Are those two different seats you show? Does the second one show some sort of energy absorbing mount?

I haven't seen your 40, but do you have the stock roll bar or an aftermarket one like MetalTech? The stock rollbar is paper thin. I'd be scared to weld on a bracket to support those seats.

Last edited:
I have an after market one. I was thinking of a rectangular plate that attached to each upright with two u-bolts. Trying to avoid drilling or welding onto the roll bar. What do you think?

Do those seats offer any fore/aft adjustment? Have you tried mocking up the seats in your truck to see if you'll fit?

I would weld some tabs on the cage that you can then bolt a c-channel crossmember to. The seats would then mount to the c-channel crossmember.

You could also find a fabricator that can make you a crossmember with tubing and plate. :)

556853d1288632364-mr-manny-benzo-40-tcase-x-member.jpg

Here's a quick model of a c-channel crossbar using your u-bolt mounting method.

C-ChannelUbolt.JPG

Hey Dave, The mockup looks perfect. I especially like the part of the plate that extends away. That should make it more stable. Where would you suggest I go to have that made?

I forgot to answer your first question about the seats. Those are two pictures of the same seat. The first picture is of the front with seat bottom folded up. The second picture is the back of the seat showing the mounting brackets. As for the shock absorption that is what it is. But it is more like a crumple zone on a vehicle. It will only get activated if something as strong and an IED was set off under the truck. I think if I remove the black "crumple zone" piece and find some stiff springs that will slide on the silver shaft it would give some cushion that people would feel while I am driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom