Mechman alternators? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to get a replacement alternator in the next month or two. I’ve been getting the battery warning And the volt gauge shows I’m running strictly off battery until I get the RPM above 2500rpm. Now , it is acceptable to have to blip the throttle on an old air cooled Porsche to get the charge going but no so much on my LX470 that I plan to drive cross country in December. I bought a Mechman alternator back when I had my Supra and it was great. I see they make them for the LX470 (240amp for $400-). I’m just checking if y’all know of a better / just as good alternative for a heavy duty alternator that can handle multiple accessories (lights. Winch. Fridge. )
Thanks!

Just for grins, I've been using a 100A alternator on my UZJ100 for years and, crazy as it sounds to some, it's kept all electrical requirements & devices in great health on my rig. Dual Odyssey's, 750w sound system, winch, 51L Waeco fridge, big light bar, etc.

I've often thought about a higher output alternator such as a Mechman, and I'm sure they're all that, but certainly at a cost of higher heat, increased hp rob and of course the extra expense. Not sure what a HO alternator would do for me...

And, if you have a propensity to get alternator deep in water/mud even the best of alternators are going to succumb to the low mount of our alternators...

I picked this alternator just because it looked to be the best built but, of course it is the most expensive.

Just for grins, I've been using a 100A alternator on my UZJ100 for years and, crazy as it sounds to some, it's kept all electrical requirements & devices in great health on my rig. Dual Odyssey's, 750w sound system, winch, 51L Waeco fridge, big light bar, etc.

I've often thought about a higher output alternator such as a Mechman, and I'm sure they're all that, but certainly at a cost of higher heat, increased hp rob and of course the extra expense. Not sure what a HO alternator would do for me...

And, if you have a propensity to get alternator deep in water/mud even the best of alternators are going to succumb to the low mount of our alternators...
I would have risked it too. But the battery light on almost every morning is a major concern for me. And I always try to upgrade when it’s time to replace. And I totally agree it doesn’t matter what brand or quality. Water crossings can ruin anything. I know from first hand experience with my jeeps over the years. I don’t plan to get this thing into any deep river crossings.

I picked this alternator just because it looked to be the best built but, of course it is the most expensive.

Thanks for the link. I’m going to look into that later.

You could first try replacing the brushes for $15 and see if it fixes your issue.

Yes, never really understood the reasoning behind the placement of the alternator. It is mounted extremely low on the engine making it susceptible to water, trail debris, dirt, dust, oil soak from engine leaks, etc....

alt debris.jpg

And then put the damn starter under the intake manifold.

^ That looks exactly how one of my alternators looked 🙄. I'm on my 4th alternator...Pez Dispenser. Anyone under about 55 YO won't get that one...🤔😁

I love mine.... I got the 175amp with OE sized pulley.

Would buy another if needed it for another truck for sure.

I had issues recharging my 2nd battery for years. Now it is done very quickly.

I got rid of OE wires and reran with 0/1 wire and all new 0/1 grounds.

Yes, never really understood the reasoning behind the placement of the alternator. It is mounted extremely low on the engine making it susceptible to water, trail debris, dirt, dust, oil soak from engine leaks, etc....

View attachment 2411137

And then put the damn starter under the intake manifold.

I've always wondered why the Alternator and Power Steering Pump weren't swapped position-wise. That would move the alternator slightly higher and make it easier to access. I'd think the alternator is WAY more important to access than the power steering pump. Never understood why the Alternator was "hidden" behind and below the PS Pump requiring it's removal to access the Alt.

I've always wondered why the Alternator and Power Steering Pump weren't swapped position-wise. That would move the alternator slightly higher and make it easier to access. I'd think the alternator is WAY more important to access than the power steering pump. Never understood why the Alternator was "hidden" behind and below the PS Pump requiring it's removal to access the Alt.

Tell me about it. Starter under the intake, alternator placed WAY down low and crammed in behind everything, plastic heater Tees.

Was this smart engineering or 'punishment', I don't know.

Tell me about it. Starter under the intake, alternator placed WAY down low and crammed in behind everything, plastic heater Tees.

Was this smart engineering or 'punishment', I don't know.

Yeah, the starter is definitely absurd. At least the heater tees can be somewhat addressed with metal versions.

Yeah, the starter is definitely absurd. At least the heater tees can be somewhat addressed with metal versions.

After they've left you stranded. Yes.

Are you upgrading your cables as well?
Wasn’t really planning on it. They seemed big enough. When it’s all apart I might change my mind. I have a shop with all the supplies stocked so it can be done last minute if I feel it necessary.
here’s my work space

6DA29361-8F19-4899-AE65-00EF45E96D9D.jpeg

all my jeeps and Toyota 4x4s have had alternators mounted low when they should have been up high and dry. But my bmw and Porsche have them up top. Perhaps I chose the wrong car to do an overland build with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom