Mean Green Alternator Installation In A 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everybody

Just got me a 77 and this is my first tech question. It came with a 150A Mean Green Alternator in a box that I am trying install. The alternator has a pig-tail that terminates with 2 leads green connector that does not match the 2 leads connector on the vehicle and I can not tell how to make the hook up.
I can tell from the vehicle wiring diagram that both come from the regulator and are marked E and F. F become hot (12V) when the ignition is on and E goes to some regulator internal (voltage regulator coil and some contacts) but on the Mean Green side I cannot tell at all.

Does anybody have experience with this that cam land a hand?
Also, thinking about it does the new rate of charge will fry the in-line Ammeter?

Thanks,
Doron

I can't help you with the volt reg wiring (there aren't any directions from Mean Green?), but it will definatly fry the stock ammeter, and wiring. You need to run a new heavy guage wire to the battery, bypassing the ammeter, and install an aftermarket voltmeter so that you can still monitor the charging system.

Yes it will fry your ampmeter. The MG's sold are 200amp, maybe yours in older?

I have a Mean Green on my fj60, it was plug and play(except for running a bigger wire to battery)

Here is the Mean Grean install instruction that came with with mine(200amp) it speaks about what to do with an external reg.

39945071.jpg

39945066.jpg

for more info, look for what needs to be done to intstall a GM alt in a Cruiser, Mean Grean is the same(I think) Tech section has some links for info.

John H

John:

I see that the instructions warn that the vehicle "must not be jumpstarted with battery booster cables". Forgive me if this is a newbie question, but why? Is this harmful to this particular setup (with a mean green) or is there a reason that it should be avoided on any rig?

Eric

[quote author=DobberzFJ40 link=board=1;threadid=8563;start=msg73376#msg73376 date=1070995727]
John:

I see that the instructions warn that the vehicle "must not be jumpstarted with battery booster cables". Forgive me if this is a newbie question, but why? Is this harmful to this particular setup (with a mean green) or is there a reason that it should be avoided on any rig?

Eric
[/quote]

got me.........but I kinda was meaning to call MG and find out, I can't think of why?

John

Thanks, John!

Let us know what you find out.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom