Me again same problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:crybaby:So I thought I had my problem fixed after replacing the egr more money down the tube, however it still has intermittent power loss problem. I am curious I don't have much expertise with catalytic converters as if they go bad in MT we cut them off however I live in CA now and we are told we have to have them. Anyways would a clogged cat cause an intermittent problem in power loss or would it just be a costant, any other symptoms it makes a ticking noise everytime I shut it off even if it is a short trip to the store so could this be my mystery problem thanks.:bang:

clogged exhaust/cat causes a steady drop in engine vacuum. use a vacuum gauge to check.
optimum reading should be a steady 18 in/hg

if the sound u are hearing is metal cooling, there is a good chance you are running with retarded timing.

which would explain poewr loss.

also if an injector is leaking, it will cause the cat to get extremley hot and cause this sound.
and obviously cause a power loss condition too.

Hello thanks for info would an injector leak be obvious leaking gas gas smell etc.. cause I have none of those symptoms.

Injectors may also leak into the cylinder.

there are only 4 bolts to get the cat off, then you can look at it, point it toward a bright light and you should see light through it, if not it is clogged.

I wish I could do that but everything is welded on mine the idiot I bought it off of did lots of a** backward things that I am having to redo. God I hope the injector is not leaking into the cylinder I don't think that is my problem as it would be more frequent I would think?

its pretty easy to take off the plenum

once you did, depending on the extent of the leak fuel will sit on the manifold where u can see it.

you can look down there too and look to see if there leaking. just stuff a rag up into the AFM to turn on the pump. just dont forget about it and try startin it up

*Have you even ran a meter to test the function of the O2 sensor(s) after warm up b/c they should be cycling voltage at minimum 8 times a minute at idle and at least 14+ times at 2000rpm.

Similar stuff happened after I had ran a test pipe and refitted my cat. The sensor was so busy trying to regulate the fuel mixture w the open pipe it burnt itself out.

They're fragile little deals too, simply unbolting them and handling them and even slightly dropping them will break the little detection wire inside.

Check that stuff first b/c if there's not a gas smell at the pipe but a definite NOx smell it is sometimes a clue to that issue because no gas smell does not necessarily mean all is well, you could simply be running leaned out and not getting a powerful enough fuel mixture burning valves, etc along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom